CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

Golf Course NOT listed in the RCGA Course List??

I just finished playing Loch March, but when I went to enter my score on the RCGA site, it isn't listed........does this mean that they aren't a member of the RCGA Network?

What do I do about that score, I can't seem to find a way to enter a score for a course not listed on their site

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I just finished playing Loch March, but when I went to enter my score on the RCGA site, it isn't listed........does this mean that they aren't a member of the RCGA Network?

What do I do about that score, I can't seem to find a way to enter a score for a course not listed on their site
    Loch March must have a licensing agreement with the RCGA that indicates that they comply with a list of requirements. They apparently don't and so the scores made would not be used for handicap purposes.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Guess you'll have to shelve that 112. LOL
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Guess you'll have to shelve that 112. LOL
    Twas a 94 but it wouldn't have affected my cap, save for counting as one of my last 20 games played

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Loch March must have a licensing agreement with the RCGA that indicates that they comply with a list of requirements. They apparently don't and so the scores made would not be used for handicap purposes.
    Thanks BC

On a related yet different matter.....Loch March is the best conditioned course that I've played all year, simply fantastic

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Twas a 94 but it wouldn't have affected my cap, save for counting as one of my last 20 games played

Good score! I was channeling my inner Indio.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Good score! I was channeling my inner Indio.
    Channel away young man.... you could never fill my shoes though
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Hmm... that's strange. I was under the impression as long as the course is rated, you need to enter your rounds from that course. There're a number of course like that in Ottawa (Stonebridge, Meadows and Chateau Cartier come to mind). I just select "Manual Entry" and enter their slope/rating by hand. Should I not do that and just ignore those rounds when maintaining my record at RCGA network?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There have been a couple of threads on this issue and Matt McKay (sp) of the RCGA has commented in these.

For courses in Canada, only courses that are RCGA members are eligible for posting scores. Stonebridge is actually a member these days so the scores posted there are valid. Loch March is not. I can't comment on Meadows or Chateau Cartied.

And just as an FYI if Stonebridge dropped their RCGA membership next year (not saying they will but using this as an example) any scores would not be valid. Even though they had an approved rating this year and made no changes the fact that they are not a member course means they are not eligiblel.

The manual entry is only supposed to be used for foreign courses or member courses that are not yet listed online.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    There have been a couple of threads on this issue and Matt McKay (sp) of the RCGA has commented in these.

For courses in Canada, only courses that are RCGA members are eligible for posting scores. Stonebridge is actually a member these days so the scores posted there are valid. Loch March is not. I can't comment on Meadows or Chateau Cartier.
    The Meadows and Chateau Cartier are both members and are both listed in the RCGA database. Chateau Cartier is under "Cartier" and The Meadows is under "Meadows".

And just as an FYI if Stonebridge dropped their RCGA membership next year (not saying they will but using this as an example) any scores would not be valid. Even though they had an approved rating this year and made no changes the fact that they are not a member course means they are not eligible.

The manual entry is only supposed to be used for foreign courses or member courses that are not yet listed online.
    That is not how I have interpreted the RCGA Handicap Manual or Matt McKay's position.

The Handicap Manual requires ALL scores be posted on courses with an RCGA Course Rating or Slope Rating. There is no reference to membership. Since courses MUST be re-rated every 10 years or when significant changes are made, you could argue that Loch March does not currently have a rating as I'm sure it has been more than 10 years since the course was rated. But few courses would likely fall into this category.

Matt McKay's position seems to be concerned with the members of former-RCGA clubs maintaining a handicap after the club has dropped their RCGA membership. Clearly they cannot do this, but I do not interpret this to mean that ALL scores by ANYONE at a non-member course cannot be posted. While I appreciate Matt McKay's desire to maintain RCGA club membership, having this as a condition for the acceptability of scores is not in the Handicap Manual and does not seem to be in line with one of the fundamental principles of the handicapping system - that all scores be posted whenever possible.

I specifically gave the scenario I described to Matt in one of the other threads and he confirmed it.

The clubs MUST be current RCGA members for scores posted there to count. Essentially an RCGA Course Rating can only be held by a member club.

EDIT: Here's the post where Matt confirmed this. http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showpost...3&postcount=17

Also, I just saw that the correct spelling of Matt's last name is MacKay. Sorry about that Matt in case you are reading.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    The Meadows and Chateau Cartier are both members and are both listed in the RCGA database. Chateau Cartier is under "Cartier" and The Meadows is under "Meadows".
    Hmm... Maybe I'm missing something, but they're not there. I've attached screenshots of my search. Stonebridge is indeed there, thanks for pointing that out. I was going by the old habit of manually entering it.

I have to admit I'm surprised by RCGA's position on this. They're perfectly happy to accept scores from foreign courses that may or may not have up-to-date ratings, but balk at the local courses that don't pay membership fees. What if a local course arranged for USGA to rate it, like courses in Jamaica do, for example)? What would be RCGA's reaction to that?
    Attached Images

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolik View Post
    Hmm... Maybe I'm missing something, but they're not there. I've attached screenshots of my search. Stonebridge is indeed there, thanks for pointing that out. I was going by the old habit of manually entering it.
    Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Handicap software on this site, which is also linked to the RCGA.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    The clubs MUST be current RCGA members for scores posted there to count. Essentially an RCGA Course Rating can only be held by a member club.

EDIT: Here's the post where Matt confirmed this. http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showpost...3&postcount=17
    so all my rounds this year don't count lol. 30+ rounds at courses like meadows, chateau cartier, and greensmere. only greensmere is a member of RCGA but their gold course isn't rated, so all my rounds can't be used for handicapping. does this mean my ladder match against leftylucas is null and void? this is all so silly. if a course has a slope and rating it should be factored in the handicap, in my opinion.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    nokids if you are not an RCGA member your handicap is unofficial anyway so it does not matter. The ladder here allows the use of unofficial handicaps as long as they are tracked on approved software so it's all good as far as the ladder is concerned.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    nokids if you are not an RCGA member your handicap is unofficial anyway so it does not matter. The ladder here allows the use of unofficial handicaps as long as they are tracked on approved software so it's all good as far as the ladder is concerned.
    aww. i was hoping to run from my past bad rounds and start fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post

So.......... since i'm not an RCGA member, do I enter my Loch March score from today into the unofficial handicap tracker on OttawaGolf? or not?

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    For sure, if the course has a slope and rating I always put it into Ottawa Golf handicap software. It's unofficial anyways, right.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    So.......... since i'm not an RCGA member, do I enter my Loch March score from today into the unofficial handicap tracker on OttawaGolf? or not?

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Old thread, I know . Is The Meadows still not an RCGA or Golf Canada recognized course?
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

It's still not on the list when I search on golfcanada.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I couldn't find it either. I just can't believe they wouldn't ask/pay or whatever it takes to get rated. Too bad.
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

I don't know what it costs but historically Golf Quebec has been a bit of a pain to deal with so that could be part of it. Dan could give the history on the Manderley situation as an example.

Slight threadjack.

Apparently several area courses are considering moving from Golf Quebec to the GAO. The OVGA spans both Quebec and Ontario but is officially affiliated with Golf Quebec. It's unclear at this time what will happen if many of the Ontario courses move to the GAO.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Slight threadjack.

Apparently several area courses are considering moving from Golf Quebec to the GAO. The OVGA spans both Quebec and Ontario but is officially affiliated with Golf Quebec. It's unclear at this time what will happen if many of the Ontario courses move to the GAO.
    I read on Flagstick a couple of weeks ago that already more than 10 clubs had made the move, and that the OVGA had decided to allow it. GAO affiliated clubs will still be members of the OVGA.

I don't know what it costs but historically Golf Quebec has been a bit of a pain to deal with so that could be part of it.
    A couple of years ago i asked someone at the proshop at Meadows why it wasn't officially rated and this is exactly the reason. And this dispute happened like 10 years ago, lol.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I read on Flagstick a couple of weeks ago that already more than 10 clubs had made the move, and that the OVGA had decided to allow it. GAO affiliated clubs will still be members of the OVGA.
    The annual meeting of the OVGA takes place this coming Saturday at which time specific information regarding the implications of the move of a number of clubs to the GAO will be revealed. A glance at the current GAO tournament schedule will show that three qualifying rounds have been scheduled at local OVGA clubs that are now members of the GAO, including one for the Ontario Amateur Championship.

I stand to be corrected but I believe that it is now up to the individual eastern Ontario golf clubs as to what golf association they wish to be associated with, rather than them having to get permission from the OVGA to do so.

As it did with the more recent amalgamation of the ladies (CLGA) and mens (OVGA) golf associations into one local group, there will be growing pains and challenges associated with organizing activities for golfers that are members of separate provincial golf associations. My guess is that very few golfers, including tournament playing ones, will notice any difference.

3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road
    Ok I'm really confused now ,I joined GAO as a public member this year ,I was able to input previous scores from last year,mostly played at nation golf club, this year I've played at nation twice Champlain once and pineview once ,I have entered all the scores into the GAO handicap section , nation coarse is not listed and I just put in a manual entry ,I think Champlain and pineview are there , now my question is the handicap factor that the GAO has given me , is this a complete wrong handicap and can I only put in scores from coarses that are listed.

Since you asked, if you want to keep an "official" Golf Canada handicap, you should only enter scores from courses that have valid RCGA/USGA ratings and slopes. That means ONLY courses that appear in the list on the website are valid for posting scores. The only exception would be for member courses which are not yet entered into the system.

Any other scores are not valid since slopes/ratings for non-member clubs are "unofficial" and strictly speaking Golf Canada should ignore those scores when calculating your handicap. They don't actually do this, because it would be a royal PITA for them to police all the entries.

3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

Cheers ,that's cleared it all up

Thread Information