CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar

Fleury Released by Flames

Too bad. It was a great story, and even though I'm not a flames fan, I was certainly interested in how this was playing out. I didnt' realise that they had an agreement that he would not be sent to the minors if he had not made the team. In fact, TSN is stating that he actually had to be considered one of the top 6 forwards to be kept. I guess so as not to take the time away from a young guy.
    Oh well.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    might also be possible that fleury wanted to be released if he wasn't going to be a top six guy...he might end up being one somewhere else. Either way, I'm eating humble pie. I didn't think he'd be able to compete at all...thought he'd embarass himself. He certainly didn't do that.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I think Calgary did right by Fleury. He got to play again at an elite level and show everyone that he had turned his life around and was still a great hockey player. He scored a winner in a shootout, scored on a breakaway and had a point in every game. He proved a lot and he got to play in front of the same fans who loved him for many years and remind them of why they did. Now he'll get to announce his official retirement and leave the game the way he should have in the first place.
    Fleury gets to go out on top, having shown everyone what kind of person he has become and that he has put all his demons behind him. If he had been kept and gone into the season, broken down because of age or gotten injured; or who knows, cracked under the stress and travel and started drinking again it would have ruined all the great things he did in the preseason. My guess is what he did this preseason will vault him into a broadcasting job, where he will make almost as much money as he did in the NHL.
    He has restored his legacy.. doesn't have to play another game...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Great points.

Thread Information