100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Question What's the score?

Hey gbower and BCMIST, lets put this one to everyone else.

The following question was posed to us by Level 4 official, Gayle Faulkner, as part of a warm-up quiz to our discussion of Rule 27. Have a go.

A competitor plays a provisional ball believing his original ball may be lost in rough, and it lands not too far from the same general area where his original ball landed, but is visible. He searches for his original ball, and finding a ball within a minute, he plays it to the green and picks up his provisional ball. When he arrives at the green he discovers that he has hit a wrong ball. He returns to the area to search for another 4 minutes but cannot find his ball. He drops another ball in the rough where he was searching for his original ball and plays it to the green, holing out with 2 putts. What is his score for the hole?

It took us a while, but we all managed to come up with the same (correct) answer.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    And we weren't even talking to each other about the answer.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Holy smoke ...what a mess lol ....

original shot 1
    provisional ball 3rd shot laying 3 if its to be ball in play
    hits wrong ball 2 shots
    returns to restart the search , the clock stops when he's playing the wrong ball
    had lifted the provisional ball 1 shot penalty as it was to be the ball in play
    Wrongly substitutes a ball ..normally 2 penalty shots
    Hit to green 1 shot , but from a wrong place , 2 penalty shots , avoiding the above 2 penalty shots tho
    2 putts

makes about , hang on , just off my shoes and socks , 11

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Provisional would be 3 off the tee
    Add 2 for playing a wrong ball
    Since his provisional was not too far from the same general area where his original ball landed, his drop is OK because he can't determine the exact location to replace the provisional which is now the ball in play.
    1 more to hit the green + 2 putts

That would make 8

I would not penalize for lifting the provisional, since that was reasonable given that he 'found' the original. Penalizing him would be in effect be penalizing the same act twice, the act of playing a wrong ball.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I'll give you a hint. It's not 11, and it's not 8...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    If he didn't drop as closely as possible to where he believed the provisional was, I am fairly sure that is playing from a wrong place.
    Andrew

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Give him a big ole 7 - is that your final answer? lol

Original shot
    Shot 2 to the green
    Shot doesn't count when realizing he played the wrong ball (+2)
    +1 for drop
    Shot into green
    2 putts

Last edited by leafseh; 09-16-2009 at 04:28 PM.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

I thought it was a score of 9 as long as he replayed correctly from where the provisional originally was
    27-2b/9 of the decisions covered everything but the drop...
    Andrew

Sand Wedge overpar is on a distinguished road
    I'd give him a 7 but i'm a nice guy and can't count! lol
    Life's a game, Golf is serious!

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Since the wording of the "drop" might imply that he dropped where he thought the original ball might have been, rather than from where he thought the provisional was, then he has played from a wrong place and must play out the hole with the ball played from the wrong place.

I would then make the score 10

Since he never found the original, his provisional was in play = 3 off the tee + 2 for wrong ball + 2 for wrong place + 1 shot to green + 2 putts

So what did you guys decide at the rules meeting?

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Ok, this is a dandy. Here is my guess:

- Plays original ball - stroke #1
    - Plays a provisional.
    - Plays second shot from where he thought his original ball laid to rest- stroke #2
    - Finds that he played the wrong ball -strokes # 3&4 <-He played the provisional instead
    - Goes back and does not find ball. Drops ball where he thought original ball was, not the provisional - stroke #5 for playing from the wrong spot
    - But since he had not found his original and had played the provisional another two strokes - Strokes 6 & 7
    - Plays next shot to the green - stroke #8
    - Two putts - Strokes #9 and #10

If he had deemed his ball lost and played the provisional (with the knowledge that it was indeed his provisional and not original), we would have scored a 6 instead of 10.

So he drops fourshots by making a mistake.

Am I in the correct ball park?

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Hey gbower and BCMIST, lets put this one to everyone else.

The following question was posed to us by Level 4 official, Gayle Faulkner, as part of a warm-up quiz to our discussion of Rule 27. Have a go.

A competitor plays a provisional ball believing his original ball may be lost in rough, and it lands not too far from the same general area where his original ball landed, but is visible. He searches for his original ball, and finding a ball within a minute, he plays it to the green and picks up his provisional ball. When he arrives at the green he discovers that he has hit a wrong ball. He returns to the area to search for another 4 minutes but cannot find his ball. He drops another ball in the rough where he was searching for his original ball and plays it to the green, holing out with 2 putts. What is his score for the hole?

It took us a while, but we all managed to come up with the same (correct) answer.
    Last edited by rezadue; 09-17-2009 at 02:11 PM.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Rez (well.. I guess and everyone) I used this from the decisions (27-2b/9)

Q: In stroke play, a competitor, believing his tee shot might be lost, plays a provisional ball. He finds a ball he believes is his original ball, plays a stroke at it, picks up his provisional ball and then discovers that the ball he played was not his original ball, but rather a wrong ball. He resumes search for this original ball but cannot find it. What is the ruling?

A: The competitor lifted a ball which was to become the ball in play, i.e. the provisional ball – see Rule 27-2b.
    Accordingly, the competitor incurred a stroke-and-distance penalty under Rule 27-1 as a result of losing his original ball, a two-stroke penalty under Rule 15-3b for playing a wrong ball and a one-stroke penalty under Rule 18-2a for picking up his provisional ball. He is required to replace and play out the provisional ball. The competitor would be playing his seventh stroke."

So my answer is that if he dropped closely enough to where he thought he picked up the provisional (described in the original question as very close to where he found what he thought was the original) then he hit 7 on the green and 2 putted for 9.

If he didn't drop properly, I thought it is another 2 for an 11, but Rich said it isn't 11. Is it 1 or 2 for wrong place?
    Andrew

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Andrew, I got the impression from Rich's post that he dropped the ball in the wrong spot (where he thought the original ball was, as opposed to where the ball he played out was).
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Another hint. Reza has the right number of strokes, but the method is slightly off. There are 5 actual strokes, and 5 penalty strokes.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Sak , if you dont ping him for the wrong place , you gotta get him for the substituted ball

Or maybe the little hint of rule 27 means more than looking at the mentioned decision

Thread Information