CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heatley gone

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    if you read the paper today, it states that murray knew he had to make the deal after meeting with Heatley yesterday. The start of camp brought it all to a head. Can you imagine the outrage if the Sens got off to a 2-14 start with Heatley there? Try to get something back for him then. The fact is, Murray was in a no win situation. What was he supposed to say all summer jon? The fact is, Murray had 2-3 teams that were willing to deal and one of them Heatley wouldn't go to. As of yesterday, it sounded like he had one team, get it done then or have a major distraction in the room. I agree, judge this trade next spring. Everyone said when Thornton got traded to SJ that the Bruins got fleeced. Well perhaps, but Joe has done nothing for SJ in the time he has been there other than a consistent early exit from the playoffs.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Murray is lucky to get this trade. At least now the room can move on without this distraction. Don't forget, Heatley completely screwed Murray and the organization the day he requested a trade. The team was going to be on the losing end of any deal made. Unless they get extremely lucky. Losing a 50 goal scorer is never good. Murray knows this, the team knows this and most fans know this. The asking price for Heatley was too much for 99% of the teams out there. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses, take the best affordable deal and move forwarrd. Now I hope and expect the Sens to be better this year. I am excited about a new goalie. Really great secondary scoring, a maturing defense....all these point to a great year.
    "Get your smile on!"

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Here's an interesting perspective on the deal, from a Toronto scribe noless... http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/694966.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    Call me crazy, I like the trade. Murray did well to pull it off, considering he had his hands tied behind his back. In the end I think that both the Sharks and Sens are now better teams. The Sharks have someone that can take advantage of Thorton's passing and the Sens get a little grittier. No way the Sens are going to get the production they had from Heatley, but maybe, just maybe they can be tougher and more defensively sound (except for when Kovalev's on the ice, lol).

Sand Wedge sens13 is on a distinguished road sens13's Avatar
    happy its finally over but a pretty bad trade for the sens look at all the talent the sharks have...boyle,marleau,setoguchi,pavelski and so many more...why didnt murray get one of these guys!!! michalek is good but cheechoo is risky

to sharks
    heatley
    5th

to sens
    setoguchi(65 PTS in 81 gms)
    ehroff(42 pts in 77 gms as a rookie!! and a good young puck moving defencemen)
    2nd

this is a good deal!!!

GO SENS GO!!
    SHUT THE...

Quote Originally Posted by sens13 View Post
    happy its finally over but a pretty bad trade for the sens look at all the talent the sharks have...boyle,marleau,setoguchi,pavelski and so many more...why didnt murray get one of these guys!!!
    Probably because Wilson didn't want to give any of those guys up. Also, Ottawa would have had cap issues with either Boyle or Marleau.

to sharks
    heatley
    5th

to sens
    2nd

this is a good deal!!!

GO SENS GO!!
    SJ would not have given us Setoguchi - he's younger and with more room to grow, and is still in his entry level deal. Do you honestly not think Murray asked for more?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    happy its finally over but a pretty bad trade for the sens look at all the talent the sharks have...boyle,marleau,setoguchi,pavelski and so many more...why didnt murray get one of these guys!!! michalek is good but cheechoo is risky

to sharks
    heatley
    5th

to sens
    2nd

this is a good deal!!!

GO SENS GO!!
    Ehrhoff plays for the Canucks...

BG458
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post

good thing murry didn't ask for him then...

That's right, I knew SJ moved someone or two, and it was he and Luckowich that were was moved to Vancouver to clear cap space for what turned out to be the Heatley deal.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    but he didn't a month ago...Vancouver lucked out and picked up 2 top 5 d-men for absolutely nothing, because Wilson has done such an atrocious job of handling the Sharks cap situation. Which also makes it so much more painful that Ottawa got such a mediocre deal.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    but he didn't a month ago...Vancouver lucked out and picked up 2 top 5 d-men for absolutely nothing, because Wilson has done such an atrocious job of handling the Sharks cap situation. Which also makes it so much more painful that Ottawa got such a mediocre deal.
    We don't know that yet! Let's just wait and see. The Yashin for Chara, Muckult and a 1st was roundly criticized as being a terrible deal for Ottawa and that one turned out well so it can happen, some players do well with a change of scenery.

If I trade Scott Niedermayer for Cristophe Schubert, that's a bad deal. It doesn't matter if Schubert somehow has an absurdly good season and scores 50 points, and Niedermayer bungs up his knee and plays 10 games. Sure, by the end result it looks like a good deal, but I was a complete idiot in the first place to make the trade.

I know it's not an identical situation, but to say you can only judge a trade 3 years down the line is somewhat absurd. There are cases when GMs make bad deals that turn out well. In my opinion, this is a bad deal, and based on past production, grossly overvalues Cheechoo.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I love the thinking of the airmchair GM's who never seem to be happy with anything that Brian Murray or any of the past GM's have done. Everybody wanted Heatley gone. All of the other teams knew he wanted out of Ottawa, and 50 goal scorer or not, his reputation in the dressing room has been damaged, so he is worth a lot less to another team because of his attitude. He may score some goals for a while, however his downside in the dressing room makes him hard to keep, which makes him hard to trade.

If Cheechoo and Michalek score 50 goals between them, then they make up the goal scoring potential of Heatley.

When you have an ugly pig, you take what you can get. To have kept Heatley would have been very detrimental to the Sens this season in terms of team chemistry.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    If I trade Scott Niedermayer for Cristophe Schubert, that's a bad deal. It doesn't matter if Schubert somehow has an absurdly good season and scores 50 points, and Niedermayer bungs up his knee and plays 10 games. Sure, by the end result it looks like a good deal, but I was a complete idiot in the first place to make the trade.

I know it's not an identical situation, but to say you can only judge a trade 3 years down the line is somewhat absurd. There are cases when GMs make bad deals that turn out well. In my opinion, this is a bad deal, and based on past production, grossly overvalues Cheechoo.
    c'mon jon, it's not even close to the same situation.....

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    If Murray traded Shubert for Niedermayer, I think jon would still find something about the trade to show that Murray screwed up yet again and should be gone...

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    There was little alternative for Murray, he was gambling on having a team ready to go with everyone on board and no distractions. This will also be great for Kovalev who likes the limelight and would not like being 3 on a match. The way I see it Kovalev is a great replacement for Heatly and Cheechoo should chime in nicely with the Fisher line. Murray did the right thing in a very difficult circumstance. I hope Heatly chokes for being such a selfish SOB.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

I see two much more balanced lines now, and more difficult to stop by opposing teams.

As I said before, Michalek is the gem here. We have rarely seen this guy play, having been in SJ. Team 1200 guests this morning seem to be saying he will surprise us with his size, his speed, and he's a good character to boot. Michalek is only 24 years old, like a younger, bigger, less injury prone Havlat.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Michalek is only 24 years old, like a younger, bigger, less injury prone Havlat.
    Let's hope he doesn't threaten to sit out every second year...

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    It will be interesting to see what lines Clousten puts together, I see many teams taking advantage of Spezza/Kovalev, neither is good in their own end and every team knows that if you pressure Spezza he will cough the puck with great regularity. To me, this will be the biggest problem for Clousten, getting Spezza/Kove to play in both ends and be responsible with the puck.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Ottawa 43.86:1

Depe just put $250 on them to win the cup

pays $10,965
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Ottawa 43.86:1

Depe just put $250 on them to win the cup

pays $10,965
    OK, you have officially gone from "Silly" to "Crazy"

Long live Crazy Willy

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Hey, I haven't seen GB around for a while. I wonder what his thoughts are on this deal?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Heatly was confusing being a good teamate with being a good team player. He is in no way a good team player since his efforts were based on his own view of his role on the team, so I am a good team player as long as I am happy in the role on the team???? Mkaes zero sense.

I think that the Sens will not miss a beat with Kovalev there, he is obviously pleased to be matched with Spezza and have some talent to feed and be fed, not the entire limelight on him will do some good.
    Lefty Lucas

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I saw some of the highlights from last night and Michalek looks quick and exciting. His defensive play to stop a break was fantastic! He may not have the scoring level of Heatley, but I think he will be a better all round player.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    Two good players who want to be in Ottawa is far better than one star who doesn't want to be here from both an individual and team perspectives.

Just wonder what his real reason was. I've heard allot of rumours (i.e. affairs, fights, etc) and his press conference was a joke. If that is all it was, why not just say that.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Well, another hat trick last night by Heatley. He's on pace for 58 goals this year. A surprising +4 too. Why do I feel like I just got kicked in the pills......again.
    "Get your smile on!"

I don't think there is a reason for why he wanted out.

We all want there to be a reason, but bottom line is I think Heatley is just a spoiled brat who has a tendency to get sour when things don't go as he thinks they should go, and therefore, he wanted out. Dudes like that, regardless of talent level, are better off gone. Here's betting that San Jose won't be the last stop in his career.

Also, we can thank Heatley for making us realize how good a person / player / team guy Alfie is.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I'm still torn on heater. He is a pure goal scorer and all of a sudden he has a coach that wants him to focus on defense first, not all players will accept that change. Spezza seems to be buying in, but then again he is on pace for 5 goals this year! Heater didn't handle it the right way, but when a superstar wants out it very rarely going positively. Happy about the guys we got, but if heater would have changed his tune and wanted to stay, I would have been pretty happy.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I'm still torn on heater. He is a pure goal scorer and all of a sudden he has a coach that wants him to focus on defense first, not all players will accept that change. Spezza seems to be buying in, but then again he is on pace for 5 goals this year! Heater didn't handle it the right way, but when a superstar wants out it very rarely going positively. Happy about the guys we got, but if heater would have changed his tune and wanted to stay, I would have been pretty happy.
    Hartsburg was 'defense first' coach. Clouston is the 'accountable for your play, no free rides' coach. Heater didn't leave because he didn't like playing defense...he left because he thought he was more important than the team, and couldn't handle being put in his place.

Thread Information