+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

What course should I join?

Having a hard time deciding which route I'm going to take. Here are my options...

Hunt Club - very nice course, walking distance to my house, expensive but a decent under 40 plan though, $100 for one of my buddies to play with me which is expensive for them.

Hylands - never played it and barely seen it through the trees, close to the house too, not sure if they'll open to the public again for memberships, more then 18 holes which is great. Don't know the guest policy.

Manderley - 20 minute drive from home, longer from work, not always good shape, more variety as well. Cheap enough for my buddies to always play with me.

Equinelle - 30 minute drive, never seen it but heard good things about the first 9. Might be some cheap opening memberships? Open to the public which means buddies can play with me.

And please don't suggest clublink, it's not one of my options.

If anyone can add some pros/cons from personal membership experiences that I should consider, much appreciated.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Well, Hunt Club is awesome, it's a whole different experience but it might be tough getting your friends to dole out $100+ every time they want to play. They might do it a couple of times a year. On the other hand, you'll have no shortage of people on this board lining up to play with you. It's also a major financial committment, if that matters. Definitely the country club experience. If I had the $ I would join here as I work 2 min away and live 10 min from it.

Hylands has 2 very decent courses, I have played it a fair bit and like it. It's not fancy, pretty straightforward, not a lot of trouble and is usually in good shape. Good range, decent clubhouse and close to town. It could be the type of course you get bored of however, as there is not a lot of elevation changes or spectactular scenery.

Manderley - never liked the course, the staff, or much about that place. It was one of the first places I played when I moved here 20+ years ago and I don't think they have done much to improve it since then.

Equinelle - very nice design, at least the 9 i played and would be fun to play a lot and not sure you would tire of it quickly. Only issue is distance, its 30 min from my work so another 5 min to your house Donny and that could get old driving that distance every time.

Tough call indeed.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The Hunt is a course I could play all the time and not get bored. I found the members are very friendly there as well, I don't think you'd get lonely playing out of the Hunt.

I've played Hylands many times and I like both of the courses there. The conditioning is very good and the greens are especially nice, though much slower this year that I ever remember them. There are a lot of members there (1300 I think?) so it can make getting tee times pretty tough unless you want to play in the afternoon. They also don't have a mens night, though they do have a lot of weekend 'member' tournaments through the year. I think guest rates are $45-60 depending on the time of day.

I'm not a big fan of Manderly, not that I hate it either, just kind of meh. I'm sure you've played it enough to make the call there.

If you're looking at Manderley and Equinelle and don't mind the drive, you should check out Rideauview. They have some nice deals for the under 40 set as well.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    If you're looking at Manderley and Equinelle and don't mind the drive, you should check out Rideauview. They have some nice deals for the under 40 set as well.
    True... I inquired this year and have the pricing for the 2010 season. Fire me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you the specifics.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    You may be able to take Hunt off of your list. I inquired this week for the Intermediate Membership (under 40) and was told that they are all sold out of them. The GM who responded said he was not sure if any would become available next year (I think someone who had one this year would have to not renew). He sent me the regular fees for membership. WOW! Expensive.

If Manderley is on your list, I would suggest that Stonebridge is a much better option.

Wow, you just killed my 3pm margarita buzz...

Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    You may be able to take Hunt off of your list. I inquired this week for the Intermediate Membership (under 40) and was told that they are all sold out of them. The GM who responded said he was not sure if any would become available next year (I think someone who had one this year would have to not renew). He sent me the regular fees for membership. WOW! Expensive.

If Manderley is on your list, I would suggest that Stonebridge is a much better option.

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    I hear ya. I'm taking it pretty hard too. I was all set to tee it up with the big wigs...

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Having a hard time deciding which route I'm going to take. Here are my options...

Hunt Club - very nice course, walking distance to my house, expensive but a decent under 40 plan though, $100 for one of my buddies to play with me which is expensive for them.

Hylands - never played it and barely seen it through the trees, close to the house too, not sure if they'll open to the public again for memberships, more then 18 holes which is great. Don't know the guest policy.

Manderley - 20 minute drive from home, longer from work, not always good shape, more variety as well. Cheap enough for my buddies to always play with me.

Equinelle - 30 minute drive, never seen it but heard good things about the first 9. Might be some cheap opening memberships? Open to the public which means buddies can play with me.

And please don't suggest clublink, it's not one of my options.

If anyone can add some pros/cons from personal membership experiences that I should consider, much appreciated.
    for me personally i dont know if i would want to become a member of a certain course or not. id be more inclined to annually purchase corporate golf or executive golf or whatever your preference may be.. i think the price would be somewhat comparable to an annual membership when it's all said and done.. plus, the kicker for me is you have the option of cheaper rates on a ton of course.. im a big fan of mixing up my courses as much as possible.. part of the enjoyment of golfing for me is exploring new places i've never been.

thats just my opinion tho.

The whole point is my wife would prefer that I'm at one place, and that if something happens and she needs to call me home it's not that big of a deal. We have two very high maintenance dogs and two young daughters. She wants me to golf, but also be available. So that's why I'm looking at a membership close to home.

4 Iron DewDuster is on a distinguished road
    Be patient with the intermediate membership at the Hunt. I'm just speculating, but there should be some movement. At the very least see if they are taking people on the wait list.

Not sure if you considered this aspect, but living so close and having kids, I think you'd be surprised at how great it is for families at a private club like the Hunt.

For your daughters there's a special Girls Club there and it is quite cool for the girls. It's very inexpensive for juniors to join (<$300). My daughters love it and there's nothing better than heading to the golf course as a family. They have their own club storage number and chit number so it's cute seeing them get their little bags brought out for them. They are treated very well by the staff and welcome by the members. They get a kick out of being able to "buy" their own meals. Even before they were old enough to join as a junior member, I had them out there often on the range and on the course with me in the early evenings, this is quite common among members with young kids.

We spend quite a bit of time there as a family. I'm sure your wife will enjoy having meals there and golfing is a lot more welcome at home when you suggest the family just meet you after your round for dinner or lunch.

There are 9 and dines on weekend afternoons that are inexpensive for guests if you want to get folks out for $35 instead of the full guest fees. My wife's a casual golfer so that's when I usually take her out.

Your friends will come to realize that $100 is not bad since that includes range balls and all they can eat and drink since they can't pay for anything directly, only through the member's account

Good luck, hope a spot opens up for you.

Now this might be my favourite post of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by DewDuster View Post
    Be patient with the intermediate membership at the Hunt. I'm just speculating, but there should be some movement. At the very least see if they are taking people on the wait list.

Not sure if you considered this aspect, but living so close and having kids, I think you'd be surprised at how great it is for families at a private club like the Hunt.

For your daughters there's a special Girls Club there and it is quite cool for the girls. It's very inexpensive for juniors to join (<$300). My daughters love it and there's nothing better than heading to the golf course as a family. They have their own club storage number and chit number so it's cute seeing them get their little bags brought out for them. They are treated very well by the staff and welcome by the members. They get a kick out of being able to "buy" their own meals. Even before they were old enough to join as a junior member, I had them out there often on the range and on the course with me in the early evenings, this is quite common among members with young kids.

We spend quite a bit of time there as a family. I'm sure your wife will enjoy having meals there and golfing is a lot more welcome at home when you suggest the family just meet you after your round for dinner or lunch.

There are 9 and dines on weekend afternoons that are inexpensive for guests if you want to get folks out for $35 instead of the full guest fees. My wife's a casual golfer so that's when I usually take her out.

Your friends will come to realize that $100 is not bad since that includes range balls and all they can eat and drink since they can't pay for anything directly, only through the member's account

Good luck, hope a spot opens up for you.

AndrewGolfs
    can one of you huntclub members sign sponser me for next year. Im 14 years old and i love golf...it would be nice cause i live 2 minutes away. PM me if your interested.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    As someone who just joined hunt this year I would recommend it without a doubt. I have been treated remarkable by the staff, most members are great and nice and the golf course is unbelievable. If you like to practice there is a ton of areas for that includig a huge chipping area that is seldom used by other members. I have played about 60 rounds this year and still get excited each time on the first tee, it's one of the nicest courses I have seen and being 27 holes, it's always easy to get out after work for a quick 9 or 18, something that is rarely possible with a public or semi-private course.

AndrewGolfs
    yo dave vandyke can u sponser me for next year at the hunt? u have nothing to lose

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    donny, forget your friends. You will make new friends who you can play everyday at the hunt...

no brainer
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    AndrewGolfs
    Please start your own thread to look for sponsors.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode View Post
    for me personally i dont know if i would want to become a member of a certain course or not. id be more inclined to annually purchase corporate golf or executive golf or whatever your preference may be.. i think the price would be somewhat comparable to an annual membership when it's all said and done.. plus, the kicker for me is you have the option of cheaper rates on a ton of course.. im a big fan of mixing up my courses as much as possible.. part of the enjoyment of golfing for me is exploring new places i've never been.

thats just my opinion tho.

Could not agree more---not all of us can afford the iniiation etc etc and playing the same course all time----boring- boring . I dont consider myself cheap- but frugal---if buying CG-RM or EG is considered cheap--so be it--I've played many enjoyable rounds with folks on the forum and many more just by booking different venues

I've tracked my costs so far this year---played from the low to the high (well almost high) 51 games at home---some with carts (I think 7) Executive Member 32 games---balance regular rates----my average cost per round-----21.20....and that includes initial EG sign-up fee. How in the world can you beat that----other than playing 150 games ?

I might sound like I'm promoting the discount golf resellers---maybe I am---you can't get away rom the fact that they do fill a great need for the industry---the clubs are happy to sell corporate memberships---If Dan --Glenn and Jamie can make a decent profit from it---why not. Hell-- I'd rather play here in Ottawa than toronto

Off to try Equinelle next week---what the --it's only money
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Maybe you would consider either Carleton Golf and Yacht or Rideau View. Both are in excellent condition, with exceptional service and lots of tee time availability.

Played Carleton once, didn't like it.

Played Carleton once, didn't like it.
    Curious, what did you find unsatisfactory? The course is in exceptional condition, the greens and tees are as good as any in the city and the tree lined fairways ensure that despite the lack of length, the course plays very tough.

I actually found it rather boring. Maybe I built it up too much in my mind.

Fair enough. Additionally, the lack of length and room to bomb the driver does not appeal to everyone.H Hopefully you find a home. If Carleton is not your thing, maybe you would consider Rideau View. It is almost a completely different lay out. Beautiful club house and exceptional practice facility. Certainly a course where you are going to improve each time you play anywhere else.

Rideauview is a very nice track Donny. I would add that to your list as well. Not as nice as the Hunt but definitely worth a look.

Hoolio is gonna send me some info on rideau. gotta say i have no clue where that course even is.

about 5 min south of manotick.

Near Hurst (?) Marina?

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar

Equinelle

I can only comment on Manderley and Equinelle. I don't think you can compare the too, Equinelle is a much nicer layout and will be fantastic when the clubhouse opens. Manderley is ok, I wouldn't rush out to play there.

You should also consider Stonebridge since it's in that area.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    The whole point is my wife would prefer that I'm at one place, and that if something happens and she needs to call me home it's not that big of a deal. We have two very high maintenance dogs and two young daughters. She wants me to golf, but also be available. So that's why I'm looking at a membership close to home.

I hear you mate. I think that makes so much sense and my missus would love me to do the same if I could afford it. If I were in your shoes I would consider Equinelle as you might get a good deal for getting in early...worth exploring maybe and it looks like it will be a great course.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Don't join the Hunt - it's ruined playing golf anywhere else for me. Furthermore, I'm forced to play golf with Dave Van Dyk every day... Do you know what that's like?

In all honesty, you won't have a better experience in the city. Sure it's steep for your buddies to come out, but at the end of the day, you're playing the Hunt!

Thread Information