100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road

Drills/thoughts to close the club face?

Ok, I play using the Nat Golf method. As I've mentioned before, I recently took a lesson with John Ollson, where I hit 9 irons.

I'm still not perfect on the short irons, but I'm doing reasonably well.

However, on my 3 and 4 hybrids, I seem to be battling a push slice. (I'm right handed)

I'd like to think my swing path is not over the top, as in most cases the divots (where there is one) seem fairly straight. So, what i'm wondering is if I'm simply not releasing the club fast enough, thus when it impacts the ball, the face is still open?

Most times the ball starts of fairly straight, maybe a tad right, but the last 1/3 of the ball's flight there is a decent slice off to the right.

Just wondering if there is something I should concentrate on to "flick" the wrists quicker, or if that even sounds like my problem?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    not sure if my story will help you, but i had the same problem with a few clubs (driver, fww, and middle irons) but not the hybrid. i would slice/push to the right when i tried to crush balls. i solved the problem by taking a closer look at what i was REALLY doing. when i thought my feet were aligned, they really weren't. when i thought my club head was closed, i looked more closely to find out it was a few centimeters off target. when i thought i had a firm grip on my club, it turns out my grip was too loose which allowed my club head to open up at contact, and push a slice.

yesterday at the driving range i was hitting balls with all my strength but they were going straight as an arrow. so basically, opening my eyes to the reality of my swing helped me correct my slice.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
    Just wondering if there is something I should concentrate on to "flick" the wrists quicker, or if that even sounds like my problem?
    I've been working on this same thing with Gregg Foley at Haimes and what he has me doing is from the top of the swing, focus on two things:

1. Pulling the grip of the club DOWN
    2. Rotating my right forearm over my left
    This is supposed to help promote a slight inside out approach to the ball and ensure that I get the club face closed in time. It takes some getting used to and if you are anything like me you'll have a bunch of ugly looking shots, but I am gradually getting more comfortable with it.

These two things probably sound weird to those more knowledgeable about the golf swing, but Gregg is a big believer in having students feel and sense what they need to do to correct a problem. Just because it "feels" like I'm rotating my right forearm over my left before I make contact doesn't mean that I'm actually doing it.

Hope this helps

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Ok, I play using the Nat Golf method. As I've mentioned before, I recently took a lesson with John Ollson, where I hit 9 irons.
    However, on my 3 and 4 hybrids, I seem to be battling a push slice. (I'm right handed)

what i'm wondering is if I'm simply not releasing the club fast enough, thus when it impacts the ball, the face is still open?

Most times the ball starts of fairly straight, maybe a tad right, but the last 1/3 of the ball's flight there is a decent slice off to the right.

NEVER!!!

If you ball starts at your target, your swing and club head path are fine. A movement of the ball to the right means that your club face is a little open. Simple fix - turn your hands on the grip a little to the right, that is, clockwise, until the move of the ball to the right disappears.

There are some golfers who allow the lead/left upper arm to separate from the left upper chest as they come through(blocking), and this too may cause the ball to go right. Solution - keep the left upper arm connected to the body until after impact.

If anyone ever tells you to flick the wrists, roll the forearms, release the club, to square up the face - RUN. If your club head path is sound and your grip is good, the 'release' will and should happen, without any conscious thought. In fact, the longer you can keep the left wrist flat and the right wrist bent, the better you will hit the ball

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    There are some golfers who allow the lead/left upper arm to separate from the left upper chest as they come through(blocking), and this too may cause the ball to go right. Solution - keep the left upper arm connected to the body until after impact.
    Hmmm, this may be part of my problem now that you mention it.....

With my driver, I have been hitting real bad duffs off the heel or hosel of the club. I wonder if i'm not letting my left arm "fly away" too much, and while i'm getting things back on plane for the shorter clubs, the big long ones are just killing me.......

Does it make sense that on the shorter clubs, since i'm standing over the ball more, that it's easier to keep my left arm in on the more upright swing, then on the long clubs, where the length means you are leaning back a bit more?

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bc mist View Post
    never!!!

If you ball starts at your target, your swing and club head path are fine. A movement of the ball to the right means that your club face is a little open. Simple fix - turn your hands on the grip a little to the right, that is, clockwise, until the move of the ball to the right disappears.

If anyone ever tells you to flick the wrists, roll the forearms, release the club, to square up the face - run. If your club head path is sound and your grip is good, the 'release' will and should happen, without any conscious thought. In fact, the longer you can keep the left wrist flat and the right wrist bent, the better you will hit the ball
    ...........amen!!!

With my driver, I have been hitting real bad duffs off the heel or hosel of the club. I wonder if i'm not letting my left arm "fly away" too much, and while i'm getting things back on plane for the shorter clubs, the big long ones are just killing me.......

Does it make sense that on the shorter clubs, since i'm standing over the ball more, that it's easier to keep my left arm in on the more upright swing, then on the long clubs, where the length means you are leaning back a bit more?
    Without seeing your swing it's hard to make a reasonable diagnosis. However, it does make sense that the inertia of a longer club, traveling at a higher speed would make it more difficult to stay connected. Perhaps if you believe in swinging "down the line," that the lead upper arm gets separated as "down the line" almost guarantees a ball flight to the right. The hands move left of the target line through impact, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    1. Pulling the grip of the club DOWN
    2. Rotating my right forearm over my left
    This is supposed to help promote a slight inside out approach to the ball and ensure that I get the club face closed in time. It takes some getting used to and if you are anything like me you'll have a bunch of ugly looking shots, but I am gradually getting more comfortable with it.

These two things probably sound weird to those more knowledgeable about the golf swing, but Gregg is a big believer in having students feel and sense what they need to do to correct a problem. Just because it "feels" like I'm rotating my right forearm over my left before I make contact doesn't mean that I'm actually doing it.
    I do find the advice strange, however, as feel does not always equal real sometimes instructions like these do help overcome incorrect moves even though you may literally not be doing recommended move.

Fundamentally, the arms control the swing planes and the wrists control the club face. The latter is controlled by the position of the hands on the club and if correct, there is NO need for any conscious manipulation. Imagine, your arms are accelerating to near 30 mph, your club head to near 100 mph, and then consciously, you send a message to the brain and to your right forearm to "roll over." It's not likely to happen and give you consistently good results.

If you want an inside move, the arms/hands package must move back, 180* away from your target at the start of the downswing, not back down to the ball. With firm, non rotating hands/forearms, and without the necessity to "time" everything, the ball will fly straight. The best example of this on Tour, is Steve Stricker whose swing simplicity, makes him and would make us, very consistent golfers.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    HUUMMM" Interesting.

Believe me been there done that.
    Drivers and longer irons and fairway woods are more likely to slice/hook because of the stronger lofts i.e it does not happen because with short irons.

You can still block it/slice it even by rolling your hands to the right.

Head to the range and try making all your divots go to the right(if you are right handed) and see what happens.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

well, played cloverdale on Monday in a howling wind and got crushed. Let's just say a 15-20 mph wind blowing left to right does wonders on a ball that's already getting sliced in that direction!

Even better, a lot of short irons were getting pulled left, so obviously my brain revolted against all my teaching and taunted me. At least my sliced long iron and wood shots started straight, so swing path was only an issue on the short clubs.

Sigh......

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    well, played cloverdale on Monday in a howling wind and got crushed. Let's just say a 15-20 mph wind blowing left to right does wonders on a ball that's already getting sliced in that direction!

Even better, a lot of short irons were getting pulled left, so obviously my brain revolted against all my teaching and taunted me. At least my sliced long iron and wood shots started straight, so swing path was only an issue on the short clubs.

Sigh......
    Not really true: Pulls = outside-in swing path with face square to that path. Slice = outside-in swing path with face open to that path.

Start line of the flight of the ball is 75% (ish) related to face. Curvature is related to relation of face to path (i.e. inside out or outside in).

Ball first contact is also important.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index....479&hl=d+plane

Long story short: your swing path is outide-in. Work on getting it inside out with your pro.

Thread Information