100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    It's true isn't it. I don't care who's money it is. The point is the money wasn't there before Tiger and the other PGA tour players are padding their collective pockets now becuase of Tiger. Do you really think there would be 7 million dollar purses if Tiger never appeared on the scene. The PGA and golf in general would still have the same single digit growth and probably the "right" class of person playing the weekend round. HEHE Sorry I had to.
    Just like I am opposed to hockey players and especially basketball and baseball players making that much money, I don't really think the increase in purse money has made golf any better, nor will I ever say it's a good thing that Tiger's presence has increased it. In fact, I don't necessarily attribute it to Tiger at all. It's the media. Here they have a guy with loads of talent, skill and a clean lifestyle, and they put him on center stage to increase their viewership. They up the corporate sponsorship contributions to the PGA purses, and in the end it is us, the fans who have to pay more.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Just like I am opposed to hockey players and especially basketball and baseball players making that much money, I don't really think the increase in purse money has made golf any better, nor will I ever say it's a good thing that Tiger's presence has increased it. In fact, I don't necessarily attribute it to Tiger at all. It's the media. Here they have a guy with loads of talent, skill and a clean lifestyle, and they put him on center stage to increase their viewership. They up the corporate sponsorship contributions to the PGA purses, and in the end it is us, the fans who have to pay more.

Dan
    In the face of facts deny deny deny. The media reports, what people want to see. At least the type of media that likes to make money does The face and image of golf changed forever, for the BETTER. There's no doubt about that. With popularity comes money. I agree money doesn't make everything better. It does illustrate the growth in popularity though, and Tiger is at the centre of it. Sorry it's just the truth. Others are stepping up and making a name though. Ernie, VJ, Phil. They're cutting their own piece. But their popularity doesn't extend beyond golf. That's the difference.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    In the face of facts deny deny deny. The media reports, what people want to see. At least the type of media that likes to make money does The face and image of golf changed forever, for the BETTER. There's no doubt about that. With popularity comes money. I agree money doesn't make everything better. It does illustrate the growth in popularity though, and Tiger is at the centre of it. Sorry it's just the truth. Others are stepping up and making a name though. Ernie, VJ, Phil. They're cutting their own piece. But their popularity doesn't extend beyond golf. That's the difference.
    And who cares? Are you any better off for the added millions that these guys make? What difference does that extra money make in your enjoyment of the game? For me, the answer is a resounding ZERO.

As for deny, deny, deny... What the hell are you talking about? You haven't provided any facts at all, just rhetoric and refeed. Media doesn't just report, it creates. Or perhaps you didn't notice the supposed legend named "Alexandre Daigle" a few years back. BUST.

Big deal. I think this has run it's course. I don't care about the millions that someone else makes. I'm trying to get a few hundreds myself....

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    And what are you putting up if you're wrong? Making a guarantee is only good if you're willing to lose something if you aren't correct in your assumption. If I take your "guarantee" to my bookie, and bet on Tiger, and lose, will you cover my ante and the juice money I have to dole out? Didn't think so....

I hope Tiger drops like a rock. Lately he's really bugged me, almost as much as the people who make him out to be a god of some kind...

Dan
    Blah blah blah blah blah....You love Tiger, you just don't want to admit it.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    If you take this discussion personally well that’s your problem not mine. I am not saying that you are right nor wrong I am just asking the question why be so negative toward somebody you don’t even know.

I never asked for an autograph from an athlete or an actor in my life and believe me I hade the chance. Personally, I think it is an invasion of privacy. Did you now that in Portugal asking a professional sports player for an autograph outside of the stadium is against the law and will be find if you get caught.

I have a couple of friends that play in the NHL and AHL. They told me that’s annoying as hell to be stopped on the sidewalk or interrupted in a restaurant for an autograph and they are far from Tigers popularity.

Before judging somebody, walk a mile in there shoes.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I gonna have to sit out, since I have no strong opinion. Tiger's a great golfer, who happens to have a lot to deal with. He's not the first, but the bar of what must be tolerated on the PGA Tour has been raised. He is the one who raised it. He happens to be human. I like good competitive golf and I see no reason to diss any of the best players in the world. It's not like they are bad people or anything. Just not as perfect as we'd like them to be.
    Bulls eye!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    I have a couple of friends that play in the NHL and AHL. They told me that’s annoying as hell to be stopped on the sidewalk or interrupted in a restaurant for an autograph and they are far from Tigers popularity.
    I am not saying it isnt annoying or a bother. All I'm saying is that if you dont want the responsiblity of being someone who is looked up to, admired or be in the spotlite, then get a real job and enjoy your life, without the $$$MIllions on top of Millions.

If they didnt know about it before :shake
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Agreed but when I pay $$$ to see a pro athlete compete I ask nothing more then a good performance, no autographs, no gifts and no personal encounters just the performance. The pros are entitled of there privacy and Tiger is being bashed because he wants privacy.

?????????

and Tiger is being bashed because he wants privacy.
    He's being bashed because of hissy fits on the course and because of his off course personality with the public or lack of. Not because he wants privacy.

Well, gotta go to work now. Hope those idiots dont stop me for an autograph at Timmies.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    He's being bashed because of hissy fits on the course and because of his off course personality with the public or lack of. Not because he wants privacy.

Well, gotta go to work now. Hope those idiots dont stop me for an autograph at Timmies.
    Wanting to leave after his round without signing an autograph is part of his privacy. Also I've sene him sign lot's of autographs. I don't know why everyone keeps making this point he doiesn't sign any because Colby said so. He doesn't sing as many as Ernie, VJ, or Phil. So what. I saw him sign lot's of autographs during the week I saw him. SO can we stop propogating the lie that he doesn't sign autographs for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Hissy fits = being human. A lot better then bottling it up like some players that want to look good to the public. Be who you are and if they don't like it well that’s there problem. I don't act a certain way to please people, I act the way I do for myself and for nobody else. If I feel good, that’s what’s important.

Let’s put you in his shoes for a second. You are a pro athlete on vacation with your girlfriend. You want to have a romantic one on one dinner in this beautiful exotic resort in Africa. Your plans are to ask her to be you wife and then suddenly a bus pulls up in the driveway and 40 kids comes out running and yelling "where Steve, where Steve". They crash your table for autographs cause some idiot working at the resort called up his friend (a school teacher) telling him that you are there. This situation ruined all your plans and emotionally upsets your loved one. Don't tell me that that would not piss you off and say the hell with the fans. I know I would. A similar situation happened to Tiger last year.

Like I said, walk a mile in his shoes before judging him.

I am not pro Tiger fan. I just like to watch him play because he is an awesome competitor that backs down in front of nobody. I don't care if he gets beaten by Vijay, Els or whom ever. I just like to see his best game out there. What I dislike is fans bashing athletes because they are rich, famous, get all the attention and do not conduct them self the way "ordinary" people would.

The same situation happened when Dennis Rodman was a public figure. Fans bashed him day in day out. I just watched laughed and enjoyed the entertainment.

Let’s put you in his shoes for a second. You are a pro athlete on vacation with your girlfriend. You want to have a romantic one on one dinner in this beautiful exotic resort in Africa.
    With that kind of money, I would have rented the whole resort.

Don't get me wrong here Mike. I understand completely what you're saying. But on the other hand............. I am talking about when he is not in his private time.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Wanting to leave after his round without signing an autograph is part of his privacy. Also I've sene him sign lot's of autographs. I don't know why everyone keeps making this point he doiesn't sign any because Colby said so. He doesn't sing as many as Ernie, VJ, or Phil. So what. I saw him sign lot's of autographs during the week I saw him. SO can we stop propogating the lie that he doesn't sign autographs for kids.
    It's not just me, here's a quote from Score Magazine's Bob Weeks:

"While Woods has become somewhat more friendly of late, he signs as many autographs at the average tournament as he does scorecards."

http://www.scoregolf.com/columnists/...le=1850&type=1

If you saw him sign a lot of autographs, that's great. I saw him sign almost nothing for five days. He has a reputation of not signing autographs, as reiterated by this golf columnist, a standing member of the golf media.

And it may or may not be Tiger wanting to sign autographs. It may be his handlers. The same ones that told Mike Weir not to sign pictures of Tiger putting the Green Jacket on Mike.

Golf would not be a bad place without Tiger. The purses at the events might be less, some smaller events, like the Air Canada Classic, may still be around, who knows what else. But Tiger is here, for better of for worse. I for one don't need to worship the ground he walks on. I'll applaude his accomplishments, but he's still got to earn them, just like every other golfer.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    It's not just me, here's a quote from Score Magazine's Bob Weeks:

"While Woods has become somewhat more friendly of late, he signs as many autographs at the average tournament as he does scorecards."

http://www.scoregolf.com/columnists/...le=1850&type=1

If you saw him sign a lot of autographs, that's great. I saw him sign almost nothing for five days. He has a reputation of not signing autographs, as reiterated by this golf columnist, a standing member of the golf media.

And it may or may not be Tiger wanting to sign autographs. It may be his handlers. The same ones that told Mike Weir not to sign pictures of Tiger putting the Green Jacket on Mike.

Golf would not be a bad place without Tiger. The purses at the events might be less, some smaller events, like the Air Canada Classic, may still be around, who knows what else. But Tiger is here, for better of for worse. I for one don't need to worship the ground he walks on. I'll applaude his accomplishments, but he's still got to earn them, just like every other golfer.

I agree.

Like all other players!

Thread Information