CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For Dog Lovers

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

For Dog Lovers

My Wife and I have a couple of dogs and have a great time with them. We have a 4 acre play area for them on our property so they have a great time as well.

This Feb 14th, a week before we were to go on vacation to Costa Rica the lab started having some balance problems and was acting not herself. My wife and I couldn't have boarded her in that condition, and couldn't get a full diagnosis/prognosis for her until Feb 17th so we cancelled our trip - losing deposits on hotels and flights-within Costa Rica.

She was not quite 6 years old and in good health otherwise so our vet in Almonte convinced us to go to St. Hyacinthe (University of Montreal Vet School) and get an MRI done. (It took 48hours to arrange) Although we were all hoping it was just a infection, we found out it was brain cancer that had spead to her lymphnodes. Given her age and otherwise good health we were persuaded to try chemotherapy - the drugs were to be supplied at low cost and could lead to human treatments so we thought we'd try.

She would get treatments every 3 weeks - alternating between Almonte and St. Hyacinthe.

Well, after 7 months she was just given a free follow up MRI and Spinal Tap where they found that all of her brain lesions were gone and there were no cancer cells in her spinal fluid. She is in complete Remission! The Doctors are amazed and at a loss to know what to do next as they have never had a dog recover so completely before. They are going to write 'Amber' up in their Vet Science Journal.

The cost was significant beyond losing the two weeks in Costa Rica. The original MRI was $2500 because it included anaethesia and all the follow-ups blood tests likely doubled that. My golf game also suffered as I had to use all of my compressed work days off for the long drive past Montreal instead of golf.

Of course, if I didn't have bad luck I'd have had a hole in one by now. My other dog (who's also 6) just had surgery to repair her torn ACL so likely the money won't be there for a trip south next year either. (TPLO Surgery = $3000) She's also recovering despite herself. She somehow broke out of her crate complete with her conehead just a few days after surgery. She pried the top corner of it open and somehow pushed her way through. This with a broken, plated tibia. (Don't know how she did it)

Most would think we were nuts to spend all this money and you're likely right. But if you do have the means these surgerys for dogs seem to be worth it.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Absolutely wonderful story.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Par Anth13 is on a distinguished road Anth13's Avatar
    Awesome story!!

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    You must really love those pooches!

I just heard a similar story on one of the radio stations. They were recommending pet insurance for just these type of problems. May be worth yours and anyone else with pets to look into this. Wish I new the insurance carrier's name.
    "Get your smile on!"

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Stevek,you did the right thing.I would give my right kidney to save my little Yorkies life.Dog people are like that and i dont expect anyone else to understand this.We had a similar experience 4 years ago that did not turn out good.We lost our little Bichon poodle mix to cancer after paying a large amount of money for an operation that did not save her life.We cried for weeks and i still get choked up just thinking about it.I swear,i would have mortgaged my house to save her.My wife says she can judge a person by how much they love animals.I am so happy for you and your familly that it turned out good.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing that wonderful story......gotta go and hug my Cleo (Rottie / Doberman cross) now

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

dog lovers

Scott,dont forget to hug the missus too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Thanks for sharing that wonderful story......gotta go and hug my Cleo (Rottie / Doberman cross) now

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    SOME things are more important than golf Great story
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    i'm gonna come hug cleo as well
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Lovely story. I am thrilled it all worked out well in the end.

I am sad Last month my little Bichon Sophie died suddenly of congestive heart failure. She was 14 and my sweetheart.

Mau,we are sorry for your lost.Incredible how we get attached to animals.Through good times and bad times,they are always there for us.I hope you get a new little one soon to fill the void.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Yes, it is a very touching story.

A portosystemic shunt was found in our little papillon at about 12 months and without an operation, he would have died. Spending the money the for tests, ultra sound and the operation was quite significant, however, we, like many of you, would have done anything for him.

The operation was a success, and 10 years later, he and his "brother,", a Mi-Ki, bring more joy into our daily lives that I could ever have imagined.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 10-22-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Mau,we are sorry for your lost.Incredible how we get attached to animals.Through good times and bad times,they are always there for us.I hope you get a new little one soon to fill the void.
    Thanks I am looking right now. It takes a while to get a little girl from a really thorough, careful breeder sometimes though.

She cost us a pretty penny over the years to. From huge bladder stones to pancreatitis. We do love our little friends.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Makes me feel lucky that our dogs have been very healthy. Our oldest was suffering badly, but all we did was change his diet to raw and he turned into a puppy again.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Stevek,you did the right thing.I would give my right kidney to save my little Yorkies life.Dog people are like that and i dont expect anyone else to understand this.We had a similar experience 4 years ago that did not turn out good.We lost our little Bichon poodle mix to cancer after paying a large amount of money for an operation that did not save her life.We cried for weeks and i still get choked up just thinking about it.I swear,i would have mortgaged my house to save her.My wife says she can judge a person by how much they love animals.I am so happy for you and your familly that it turned out good.
    My previous dog (7 yrs ago) died of prostate cancer that by the time we had him diagnosed was making him suffer so much we had to put him down. The irony of that dog passing/timing was that my brother was also near the 'end' of his cancer battle and that dog's passing allowed us to visit my brother up north many more times. It was too much of a coincidence.

We put that dog down here at home where he was happiest under his favorite shade tree. I can still feel the life drain out of him when the vet injected the drug - it was the worst feeling ever. It is a blessing and a curse to own/love a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    Thanks I am looking right now. It takes a while to get a little girl from a really thorough, careful breeder sometimes though.

She cost us a pretty penny over the years to. From huge bladder stones to pancreatitis. We do love our little friends.
    You should consider a Dutch Shepherd which is what my second dog is. These dogs are amazing. Badens is a breeder that does not breed for 'looks' but instead for reliability, ability and loyalty. They aren't cheap but they are everything that is promised. Dutchies are demanding however- they require a lot of work/play. My dog thinks that catching frisbee is her job so it's fun and makes you forget about you work day within seconds of coming home.

Sorry, the link to Badens is;

http://www.badenk9.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    You should consider a Dutch Shepherd which is what my second dog is. These dogs are amazing. Badens is a breeder that does not breed for 'looks' but instead for reliability, ability and loyalty. They aren't cheap but they are everything that is promised. Dutchies are demanding however- they require a lot of work/play. My dog thinks that catching frisbee is her job so it's fun and makes you forget about you work day within seconds of coming home.
    Thanks, but I am very limited in my choices. I have allergies to cats and most dogs. Also mega downsizing to apt. So I am looking at very petite likely Maltese. The breed is considered reasonably healthy if you get them from a good breeder. They are pricey too.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. I agree with your comment that your both blessed and cursed to love a dog. Our daughter has a 2 year old chocolate lab and we love her so much we rescued one of our own and have had her for about 6 months now. More of a challenge than expected but she is good for us and hopefully we give her the same in return. She is now fully a member of the family and our kids and grand kids love her. Don't want to think about illness or "the end". We did take out pet insurance, and as you would expect have not had to use it other than the routine things. Hope to have many more years of joy with "our girl".

As an update, my Dutch Shepherd had her 8 week exam/xray yesterday and her leg appears to be totally healed. We've been given the go-ahead to start letting her run and run she did when we got home. It's hard to keep a working dog quiet for a number of weeks, but we did it!! Her mood just changed overnight.

My Lab goes back to St Hyacinthe in early November for a final check-up, but she is doing great. (They just want to check her heart for chemo damage) I can tell the Lab is doing great by the fact that her balance/agility is perfect - so perfect she was able to get our Thanksgiving turkey off the counter and eat the drumstick and wing meat before my wife was able to wrestle it back.

(Yes, I've heard of Marley and Me - I just want to know if all Labs are that mischevious or is it just mine and Marley)

That is great news Stevek.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Our Lab

Good news on the health front!

Our girl gets a littlly "antsy" when you don't play with her. Was a busy week for me and I could not give her all she wanted. I was working away in the den and she was quiet then I heard a noise in the front hall. Went down stairs to find her standing over a half-eaten shoe of my wife's. I got the message. Yesterday, she decided the channel changer looked good. Again working in the den and I heard a noise. Went into the bedroom and found her with the tv remote between her paws and the tv on. She had not yet figured how to find the National Geographic channel. Trick is not to let them get bored and find ways to get your attention... much like little kids.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    just curious stevek, got any kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Good news on the health front!

Our girl gets a littlly "antsy" when you don't play with her. Was a busy week for me and I could not give her all she wanted. I was working away in the den and she was quiet then I heard a noise in the front hall. Went down stairs to find her standing over a half-eaten shoe of my wife's. I got the message. Yesterday, she decided the channel changer looked good. Again working in the den and I heard a noise. Went into the bedroom and found her with the tv remote between her paws and the tv on. She had not yet figured how to find the National Geographic channel. Trick is not to let them get bored and find ways to get your attention... much like little kids.
    Our Lab may have been a little more bored due to the health restrictions placed on both of them but she has never been a dog that likes to play. She'd rather just roam the property trying to find 'edible' stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ View Post
    just curious stevek, got any kids?
    No, no kids, just dogs. I had health issues in my youth which convinced my wife and I that it wasn't to be for us.

So where are pics of your little ones?

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    So where are pics of your little ones?
    Here you go.

IMG_0013_2.JPG This is the Dutch Shepherd recuping

IMG_0014_4.JPG

IMG_0016_3.JPG

IMG_0018_1.JPG This is the Lab - Note the IV Patches on her paws - the hair won't grow back.

Awww! they are precious. Those patches are very obvious aren't they? Here's hoping they all stay well.

Also note the lighter hip on the Shepherd. They had to shave her from her back to her ankle. It's just growing in - hopefully enough so she can stand the winter.

Yes I saw that. Your babies have been through the wars.

Thread Information