100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Eagle dhacker1956 is on a distinguished road

help with lining up

Normally I am a very good putter(25-28 per round). I would rarely moss putts under 4-5 feet in length and would often sink putts in the 10-15 foot range. And on occasion I would sink one over 20 feet. But lately I have been missing regularly the short ones. My best golf buddy says my putter head is lined up to the right of the target(left handed). After looking I have to agree with him but I can't seem to figure a way to consistently get my putter head properly lined up to the target. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Today I played and missed 4 putts under 6 feet and still shot 75(+3). As you can see it is really costing me great rounds. Please help!!
    Last edited by dhacker1956; 09-09-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    my intuition would suggest to close the putter head (to the left) by using a stronger grip.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Eagle dhacker1956 is on a distinguished road

thanx

Prefer to totally immobilize hands in this. This is purely an alignment problem with the head.

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    What type of putter are you using, and what is the "alignment" mark on top of the putter? The reason why I'm asking is if you have a single or parallel line(s) on the putter, try lining up this marking with a single line drawn on the ball. Some golfballs come with a solid line already drawn as an alignment aid. Aim the line on the ball at your target line (not the hole) and the alignment mark with the mark on the ball. Make it a single straight line and you should be on target. Sometimes, the eyes can be seeing one thing (on target) looking from above the ball when in fact you're aimed either left or right of the target line.

4 Iron jens is on a distinguished road jens's Avatar

set up routine

How do you initially set up to the ball? I pick a spot six inches in front of the ball, and set the putter down square to that spot. Once I have set the putter down, no more adjustments. Pull the trigger!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Question about lining up on the tee. Sometimes i have problems lining my feet at the target. I think i'm lined up, but i'm really not.

I was looking at the weekly wallpaper and noticed this person's feet at set up, his feet are aiming way right to the target. Do you think he's trying to draw the shot? by hooking it to the left?

http://www.ottawagolf.com/wallpaper/..._1280x1024.jpg

If this is a par 3, and he's using a high loft club (like a 9 iron), wouldn't the traditional way to line up would be to have an open stance, his feet aiming to the left of the flag and opening his club face a little?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Putter DavidGass is on a distinguished road
    I think it is the angle of picture that makes it appear that he is aiming well right, if the picture was taken directly behind him it would look like he is lined up correctly.
    -Dave

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree with using a target on the putting line as close to the face as possible. If you have not had a putter fitting then I would also suggest you do that. Sometimes when the season starts we stand more upright or lower than the previous season causing a difference in the swing arc.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information