+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    350plus

What is your longest in game in bounds drive

Just curious as to what others personal best drives are in game and playable.?

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I would take long drive numbers with a grain of salt. Ever since getting my SkyCaddie and using the "mark position" feature, I've been surprised at how far some drives actually travel. Sometimes it's further than I thought, sometimes it's shorter, but doing math from the yardage marker and scorecard rarely gives you an accurate figure.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

350plus
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    I would take long drive numbers with a grain of salt. Ever since getting my SkyCaddie and using the "mark position" feature, I've been surprised at how far some drives actually travel. Sometimes it's further than I thought, sometimes it's shorter, but doing math from the yardage marker and scorecard rarely gives you an accurate figure.
    That is why I love those Laser range finders,, pretty darn accurate..

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    It is amazing the numbers people come up with. So many guys say they drive the ball 280+ and then when I golfwith them, they average 240 max!!!

A great example is holes with dog legs or significant corners to cut off the tee. If a hole is 300 yards and a perfect 90* angle (150 yards out then 150 to the green) driving the green doesn't mean you hit it 300 yards!!! You actually hit it just over 210 yards.

There are a lot of guys who can hit it far but most people have no idea how SHORT they hit it.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    i would say about 310 on #10 at pineview this year. lasered the flag from the tee at 356 had 47 yards left to the pin after my drive. pretty sure wind was behind me tho as i usually average 245 and everyonce and a while hit it 270-280.

i agree that most people think they hit it much farther then they do. I know for me that i can carry it 235 usually and about 10 yards of roll. if i have to try and carry something 240-250 its time to layup as my odds of carrying and not landing in it grealty decreases.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Years ago at Cascade on hole 5, slight downhill dogleg left. It was dry and fairways were concrete. I hit a perfect draw around the corner. We walked down the fairway and could not see me ball, kept walking. Eventually found it dead center 70 yards from the green. I just measured it on Google Earth now and that works out to ~320yds as the crow flies. I was driving the ball well that day so lets say it flew 240 yards (an optimal carry for my 100mph SS) so it rolled a good 80 yards.

As mentioned driving distances are typically over estimated by us hacks. When I am hitting the ball well my carry is typically 230-240 yards. Any mis-hit and I am easily down in the 220 carry range. It is something to watch guys who can carry the ball a true 280+.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I hit a big drive this year at Arnprior on number 10 the old number 1. Drove it up to the fringe on the front of the green from the blues. No idea how long it was but I killed it.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I drive the ball about as far as John's 7iron!
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I hit a big drive this year at Arnprior on number 10 the old number 1. Drove it up to the fringe on the front of the green from the blues. No idea how long it was but I killed it.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    A few years ago I went out to try vieux moulins, and had my drive finish inside the 100 marker on #3. not sure how long the hole actually plays since it's carded distance probably includes a bit of a zig zag to go around the water, but either way it was a big drive..that being said the hole is on a slight down hill and the fairways were harder than most roads, so probably not much of an achievment.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    Played on PEI at Anderson's Creek #5 I think. 412yds. Skycaddie had 378 to front. Drove it in the greenside bunker!! It was with the strongest tailwind I've ever seen probably 60 gusting to 80. Hurricane Bill landed that night.

7 Iron HTN2 is on a distinguished road HTN2's Avatar
    I think it was the 5th hole at St.Andrews Valley, played from the back tees its 417, this is in November, the fairways are LITERALLY frozen, howling downwind, hit a big high drive, saw it bounce AT LEAST 60 yards in the air upon coming down, fortunately it was in the middle of the fairway. It ended up going through the fairway and was easily inside the 100 yard marker by almost 50 yards.
    It was all based on the conditions, but at least once in my life I've hit it about 360 yards off the tee.

In the same round we had a par three, that played into the wind, I think 205 yards or so, I hit driver there too and was just short(and it was a good drive...).

Par Anth13 is on a distinguished road Anth13's Avatar
    Pineview #10 2 weeks ago...356 yards from the blues, I was in the side bunker past pin high (front pin) with a dead wind. I average, based on my golflogix, 275-280 yards off the tee.

Pitching Wedge Leejanzen is on a distinguished road
    I'm not a particularly long hitter despite being a huge guy (I'm 6'6.5" and way well over 300lbs). My longest playable drive ever was probably on my home course. It's a legitimate 490 yd par 5 and I hit my drive to about 197 to the hole. It wasn't particularly windy, I had just changed my swing a little and was killing everything (I'm typically a 210-225yd kind of guy). So that measures out to about 293.

Off topic: My longest drive ever (not playable) was on the same course. There was a small tail wind on a 392yd par 4. There's a pond about 90 yds in front of the green and I bounced my drive into it. That drive would be in the 310 range if there wasn't a pond there. (I can't even hit it within 50 yards of that pond anymore).

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    2 summers ago I drove the green on a 292 yd par 4 with my 3 wood (I'm normally 220ish with it) at Westbrook in Kingston. Hot and dry for that month and the ball hopped down the fairway like it was going down the highway. Still mad at myself for missing my 1st eagle putt, but it was my 2nd birdie.

Realistically I drive about 240, but love those hot dry days with thin air to fly through and hard earth to bounce off of. Given the right conditions (throw in a tail wind for good measure) and many can hit 300. The hard part is reminding yourself that you can't do it regularly.

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anth13 View Post
    Pineview #10 2 weeks ago...356 yards from the blues, I was in the side bunker past pin high (front pin) with a dead wind. I average, based on my golflogix, 275-280 yards off the tee.
    I've put it on the green there a couple of times from the blues and I'm by no means a long hitter. The hole plays a heck of a lot shorter with a nice wind behind you. The elevation doesn't hurt either.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    At the NCGT event at Cloverdale I drove 290yds straight down the guts on Number 13. I then proceeded to hit into a deep greenside bunker from 60yds, take 2 to get out and 2 putt...I could have cried!

I really do usually hit a good drive about 230-250yds with the occassional longer and many shorter. Many drives go very askew but that one at Cloverdale will keep me warm on cold winter nights!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    My normal drive is around 250, when I hit it well I get around 270-280. I'm going by the scorecards, but since I play about 20 different courses every year I figure they can't ALL be wrong.

About once or twice a year when the planets are properly aligned, the wind is in the right direction, the ground is dry and a little downhill and my timing is perfect I crank one out over 300. This year it was on #11 at Pineview - followed it up with a perfect 7-wood and then missed the eagle putt (again).

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    18th hole Mountain Creek (3rd shot off the tee) to pin high ( mid green ) 1yard in the left rough !!!! Scorecard says 362 so depending on actual distance probably 350.... who knows, but I'm usually good a 300+ yrd drive at least once or twice a round !!

Tim

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I average about 265. I get a drive over 300 every 3 or 4 rounds. Longest was 370 from the back tees on what was originally the 11th hole at Greensmere (#2 black now). I hit a high draw, downwind that landed well down the slope and left me about 60 yards to the flag.

Putter ryryry is on a distinguished road
    greenside rough on the severely downhill 2nd hole on greensmere's black nine. the hole is 412 from the blue or something but a carry of 250 or 260 will get you 70-80 yards of roll easy. i must've landed on the downslope and it took off. couldn't get up and down so settled for par.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    My longest drive without doubt as far as real distance without wind assistance or down hill runners is number 8 at cloverleaf golf course, I teed it up from the whites with my buddy Denny around 1990 and hit a beautiful high draw to a green that was 70 feet uphill from the tee box, I wound up on the frog hair of the green on the left side... a grand total of 321 yards uphill. I have never come close to repeating that feat and now have a snowballs chance in you know where of repeating that drive since I changed my swing in the mid nineties and my club head speed dropped from the mid 120's to 114 and now that I'm a lot older I'm lucky to swing 108 anymore. If you want to check out the hole go to google earth and punch in 40.393705 and -79.386934 its a tough hole cause the fairway really slopes to the right all the way up so it's hard to keep it out of the deep rough on the right side of the fairway.

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    Stonebridge #6 PAR4
    Nice and clean with a good roll was about 300-310 yards just passed the cart path.
    2nd shot was about 60 yards to the hole.

Still managed to shoot a 6 on the hole.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Casselview #18 from the blue tees 403yds par 4, not really sure of the distance, probably about 280-300 in a straight line, further via scorecard measurements, the ball was 1 yard from the creek in front of the green which is about 40yds inside the 100 yd marker. I am not a long hitter, in fact I am known for lack of dsitance but smoked this one with a nice draw and the ball hit the other side of the hill down toward the creek. I looked and looked for the ball around the hill of the 150 marker, gave up on it till my friend who had played his 2nd shot into the creek and was about to drop another and saw my ball and called to me. That's the one day I thought that I had the potential to be a long hitter, one day does not last long!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I forgot, I had one more over 300, at Sorcier #8 a 411yd par 4, from the original back blue tee box (to which they have gone back to), according to the scorecard I had hit it 311yds, oK, the caveat is that the fairway was not plush like today but my brother was a witness. Both of these drives were with my old TM580XD, long but I sprayed it everywhere, maybe I should go back to a TM driver????
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    18th hole Mountain Creek (3rd shot off the tee) to pin high ( mid green ) 1yard in the left rough !!!! Scorecard says 362 so depending on actual distance probably 350.... who knows, but I'm usually good a 300+ yrd drive at least once or twice a round !!

Tim
    I have to agree, Tim hits its crazy long, I have never seen anyone hit a 3 hybrid that far. To make things worse I sold it to him
    Lefty Lucas

Sand Wedge little ry is on a distinguished road
    5th at Copperdale. (par 4) Playing from blues, delivered it express right to greenside chipped in for eagle. Tees may or may not have been playing closer, but it was still no less than 320 yards.

LOLLLL at 18th at Mountain Creek. Good job mate. I totally under estimated how the water factored in. I ripped one and drowned it. Had I made birdie I would have shot my first 79 ever.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    There must be a lot of dry fairways around Ottawa

My longest this year might be 290. Fairways at the course I work and play at are soft most of the time. Unless you catch a little down slope the ball doesn't roll much on some of the holes.

As stated earlier, with the use of GPS units true distance can be measured. I think if everyone carried one of those they might be surprised at how far they actually do not hit it.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    326 on the par 5 14th at Predator (Greyhawk)... GB, if you're ever up in Ottawa, my previous offer to host for a round or two stands. We're not all big hitters, not by a long shot, but we're good company.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    326 on the par 5 14th at Predator (Greyhawk)... GB, if you're ever up in Ottawa, my previous offer to host for a round or two stands. We're not all big hitters, not by a long shot, but we're good company.

As I stated before, I never come to Ottawa. If I ever do I already have my games lined up.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    As I stated before, I never come to Ottawa. If I ever do I already have my games lined up.
    Wow, ok then. On the one hand, you never come to Ottawa. On the other hand, you're telling me that if you ever do, you won't play with me. I guess I have been put in my place. All the best to you my friend.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information