100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Wink The other US Open

I've been watching a fair amount of this year's tournament, and other than John Isner stirring up things a bit on the mens side (he lost today), things are heading for yet another Federer coronation.

(note: Isner looks a lot like our Mr. Johnston, don't you think? )

But on the women's side of the draw, 17-year-old Melanie Oudin is a one-woman wrecking crew! She knocked off her fourth seeded player today in a match that I thought for sure she was out of. She is a really gutsy kid who just hangs in there and keeps fighting. If she manages to make it as far as Serena (providing she survives too), I think that she may have met her match, but you never know. If she figures out a way to win the whole thing, I'd say it would be as big Ouimet's victory at Brookline over Harry Vardon and Ted Ray.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I miss Jelena Dokic. Call me shallow, but I like eye candy when I watch the women's side.

I think our Canadian girl should make things interesting in future years.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    But on the women's side of the draw, 17-year-old Melanie Oudin is a one-woman wrecking crew! She knocked off her fourth seeded player today in a match that I thought for sure she was out of. She is a really gutsy kid who just hangs in there and keeps fighting. If she manages to make it as far as Serena (providing she survives too), I think that she may have met her match, but you never know. If she figures out a way to win the whole thing, I'd say it would be as big Ouimet's victory at Brookline over Harry Vardon and Ted Ray.
    Tennis is a sport that I don't normally get excited about, however, watching Oudin knockoff the Russians sure changed that. Love it when the underdog beats the favourite.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Oudin has been sensational, absolutely great to watch and a nice change from the usual quitters (Ivanovic, Jankovic) as she actually digs deep in pressure situations and gets the job done instead of mailing it in, complaining to the umpire and calling the trainer every two minutes. Hope she goes on to knock off Wozniacki who is also a very strong player.

In the mens draw I am following Andy Murray, hope he goes one step further than last year and wins the whole thing but Fed just looks too good (looks like he has a few extra gears too).

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    Oudin has been sensational, absolutely great to watch and a nice change from the usual quitters (Ivanovic, Jankovic) as she actually digs deep in pressure situations and gets the job done instead of mailing it in, complaining to the umpire and calling the trainer every two minutes. Hope she goes on to knock off Wozniacki who is also a very strong player.

In the mens draw I am following Andy Murray, hope he goes one step further than last year and wins the whole thing but Fed just looks too good (looks like he has a few extra gears too).
    The Wozniacki-Kuznetsova match last night was very good tennis. Wozniacki of course won, but some of the shots that Kuznetsova hit facing match points were outstanding. Not afraid to lose, either of them.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post

I normally do not watch tennis. Never understood the scoring. But this summer I have watched some and now I understand how the scoring is done.

I watched some of that match with Oudin yesterday and she was fun to watch.

Amazing the physical conditioning of those athletes. You won't see any Tim "Lumpy" Herons on the tennis courts
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    Looking forward to Fed/Nadal go at it again. They've brought the game to a whole new level and would love another chance to see a match rivaling the 2008 Wimbledon final.

Enjoying the self-destructing going on the women's side. Can't stand Sharapova and Safina, they're just too noisy. Way to go Oudin!! Now if some giant killer can take out the way too loud Serena Williams there could be a final worth watching and listening too.

Thread Information