CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tiger's swing

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

tiger's swing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2o1SYXaOHE

um, i am trying to copy this swing but it's physically impossible for me to get my left arm straight at the highest point in tiger's backswing. my left arm bends when it's that high. i'm afraid if i go on the driving range and try this i'll injure myself for the rest of the season.

is tiger missing a joint or something? is he a cyborg?

that swing is a thing of beauty.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The worst thing you can do is try to copy somebody else's swing.

Notwithstanding the fact he golfs for a living and is likely much stronger and more flexible than you are, unless your body shape (length of arms, etc) is the same you won't be able to get into the same positions as him so you will be forcing your body to do something unnatural which will screw up your game.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    The worst thing you can do is try to copy somebody else's swing.

Notwithstanding the fact he golfs for a living and is likely much stronger and more flexible than you are, unless your body shape (length of arms, etc) is the same you won't be able to get into the same positions as him so you will be forcing your body to do something unnatural which will screw up your game.
    too late. i went to capital golf and bought a large bucket of balls to try and hit swan-like drives like Tiger. although my form was beautiful, half my shots went awol. and my back feels like i just received 50 lashes.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    [URL]um, am trying to copy this swing but it's physically impossible for me to get my left arm straight at the highest point in tiger's backswing. my left arm bends when it's that high. i'm afraid if i go on the driving range and try this i'll injure myself for the rest of the season.
    Instead of trying to be someone you are not, Tiger Woods, look at the basic positions Tiger passes through and try to work them into your swing. Frankly, a slightly better example of a fundamentally correct swing motion and easier to emulate, is Ernie Els and a slow-mo shot can be found here - http://www.pgatour.com/swingplex/00/65/22/index.html. Another beautiful shot of a perfect position of Song Hee Kim can now be found on the home page of the RCGA, here- http://www.rcga.org/

Now the challenge is for you to determine what Ernie does and that you should do, to hit the ball straight and long.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Instead of trying to be someone you are not, Tiger Woods, look at the basic positions Tiger passes through and try to work them into your swing. Frankly, a slightly better example of a fundamentally correct swing motion and easier to emulate, is Ernie Els and a slow-mo shot can be found here - http://www.pgatour.com/swingplex/00/65/22/index.html. Another beautiful shot of a perfect position of Song Hee Kim can now be found on the home page of the RCGA, here- http://www.rcga.org/

Now the challenge is for you to determine what Ernie does and that you should do, to hit the ball straight and long.
    i looked at Ernie's swing and the mechanics are pretty much identical to tiger's. they both have beautiful swings and the club goes so far behind their heads, it's going to take a lot of practice for me to get to that point.

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    i looked at Ernie's swing and the mechanics are pretty much identical to tiger's. they both have beautiful swings and the club goes so far behind their heads, it's going to take a lot of practice for me to get to that point.
    While it may be possible, with work on your core and flexibility, to get to the same "positions" as Tiger and Ernie, if you're body makeup isn't similar you may do more harm than good trying to "copy" those swings. And you could do some serious damage to yourself as well. I've tried to emulate Ernie's swing for years because we're approximately the same height. What I don't try to do is get into the same "positions" because I'm no longer anywhere near as flexible as Ernie. The tempo of our swings are also very similar, long and languid (almost slow motion).
    At the other end of the swing spectrum, there are several tour pros whose swings NO ONE wants to imitate. Jim Furyk, Jim Thorpe, Eamon Darcy, Nancy Lopez, Palmer. But who can argue with their accomplishments with those unorthodox moves. Look at Allen Doyle's swing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC4hgHucPY4). His backswing only gets to parallel to the ground and the club is almost straight verticle, yet he's very accurate with it (77% fairways hit) and averages 257 yards off the tee.
    Don't push yourself to make as big a turn as Tiger. Push yourself to be consistent with what you have. Get into the same "positions" that are comfortable for your frame and musculature on every full swing and you'll see a lot more benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
    Don't push yourself to make as big a turn as Tiger. Push yourself to be consistent with what you have. Get into the same "positions" that are comfortable for your frame and musculature on every full swing and you'll see a lot more benefits.
    true words. gotta learn to crawl, walk, then run.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    true words. gotta learn to crawl, walk, then run.
    No, you need to learn your own swing and stick to it. Basic setup fundamentals and go from there.

Look at all the different but successful golf swings over the years on the PGA. They all won tournaments with their own swings.

Would you try to copy Furyk's swing? Or Lee Trevino's? Or Arnie's for that matter?

Stick to your own game plan. In the long run it will work out best for you.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    No, you need to learn your own swing and stick to it. Basic setup fundamentals and go from there.

Look at all the different but successful golf swings over the years on the PGA. They all won tournaments with their own swings.

Would you try to copy Furyk's swing? Or Lee Trevino's? Or Arnie's for that matter?

Stick to your own game plan. In the long run it will work out best for you.
    stop raining on my dreams man. if i want to try to swing like Tiger, let me blow out my back going for it!

If you want to swing like Tiger you need his strength and flexibility. Once you get that, you will be good to go.

If you start training now and dedicate yourself 100% to it you should be good to go in a couple of years. Assuming your body can actually do it in the first place.

If you want to swing like Tiger you need his strength and flexibility. Once you get that, you will be good to go.

If you start training now and dedicate yourself 100% to it you should be good to go in a couple of years. Assuming your body can actually do it in the first place.
    i like you jvincent.

i'm such a golf addict right now. today was my gf's birthday and i bought her a bunch of stuff, one of the things she wanted was pilates workout video. i asked her if it improves flexibility. she said yes, and a lightbulb went off in my head. that chick workout video might improve MY GOLFGAME.

Pilates is a lot harder than it looks. Don't hurt yourself.

There was an article in Golf Digest a while ago that had so had some basic flexibility assessments in it. If you couldn't get into some of the positions they described the premise of the article was that you simply would not be able to hit the ball very far.

My advice, is that if you can get a comfortable, repeatable swing that works for your body then stick with it. I spent a couple of years trying to get a "tour" swing and played like crap.

Once I admitted to myself that my natural, flat swingplane was best for me I became much more consistent and my scores are a lot better now.

Pilates is a lot harder than it looks. Don't hurt yourself.

There was an article in Golf Digest a while ago that had so had some basic flexibility assessments in it. If you couldn't get into some of the positions they described the premise of the article was that you simply would not be able to hit the ball very far.

My advice, is that if you can get a comfortable, repeatable swing that works for your body then stick with it. I spent a couple of years trying to get a "tour" swing and played like crap.

Once I admitted to myself that my natural, flat swingplane was best for me I became much more consistent and my scores are a lot better now.
    roger that.

Thread Information