CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Computers AAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH !!!

Hey Fellas---got a problem (one of many )

We have our PC for email--booking golf--paying bills on line --general info and a little surfing for info----nothing too complicated

Running Windows XP and all necessary thingys to make it work--AVG free Anti Virus---Bell Modem and a D LINK-----33 programs running in the background-just operating things--no games music or anything

I am no compiter whiz--my wife does clean-up once a week --defragments etc and tell me "DONT TOUCH ANYTHING" !

Here's the problem

I turn the machine on in the morning and it takes a minute to load etc---no problem

I have my desk top icons---golf weather--explorer etc

Click on an icon and sometimes takes 30 seconds to load site---????

Site is loaded--now I want to change pages within that site sometimes it can take over a minute to do that---I dont think that's normal ??? It has taken over 6 minutes---you can watch the activity bar loading.

Some sites--no problem--others unreal---this is a computer not the phone book !!!!

Is it simply that some sites do not have the proper amount of back-up hardware to be able to recieve the amount of traffic they are gettingor is it a problem with my unit ?

We presently have Bell Lite but are changing to Storm Internet next week---presently have 1 GPS and but will have 5 GPS for the same price---just trying to make sure I am doing my homework first

NOT CHANGING PROVIDERS BECAUSE OF SPEED ISSUE----MAINLY BECAUSE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE. I find it hard to believe that a once highly respected company has a lower customer approval rating than Crappy Tire
    BIG IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER

Any thought would be appreciated--Thanks guys---Brian
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    1 gig is useless bandwith. That is definately part of the problem. The other part is likely the sites you are visiting. The Citizen site is often very slow for me and I have 10G bandwidth.

How much ram on your system?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Often when websites are slow to load it is because of the ads, or more specifically certain ad servers.

I'm a mod on another forum and one particular adserver was causing a lot of problems with slow page loading, etc.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I've been on the Net this morning and have not noticed any problems with any sites that I have visited. The problem that you've outlined is one that I experienced previously with my previous computer. It happened more than once. On one occasion, the anti-virus program was causing problems. I uninstalled it and put in a different one. No more problems.

On another occasion, I had to disable a number of unessential programs that were running (some hidden) in the background. That did the trick. A great free program that will let you see what programs are set to run on startup is CCleaner. Once identified, you can disable them. This I would not do unless you really know what is not essential.

Another, probably more effective way of determining what's running on your computer is to access the system configuration too by typing msconfig in the start window. Under Services you will be able to see everything that's running. By excluding the Windows files (can be done with one click of the mouse) you can see all of the other programs that are doing their thing.

Lastly, there was the time when the IP settings were not properly configured. The Bell Sympatico technician helped me resolve that problem.

Hope this helps.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    Windows PCs are pigs. They bloat over time. The ultimate solution is to rebuild it but that is impractical. I suggest the following:

1. Remove any old programs that you never use anymore. We tend to install things, use them once and leave them on.

2. Install and run an anti-spyware program (e.g. spybot, adware, etc).

3. Check your swapfile settings.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Seriously, unplug the modem and plug it back in again. Chances are, you will be running like new again.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Have you fed the hamster running on the tread wheel lately??

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Have you fed the hamster running on the tread wheel lately??
    Yep--they had a snack this morning---I'm going to try Jon's idea---if that does not work they are getting SQUISHED !

I hear you Jon---did that before for something and it worked just fine---Oh Yeah--it was the router

Wil try that and let you guys know---many thanks Brian

HOLY CRAP BATMAN !!! it worked---thanks a bunch Jon----now, can you get Bell to fix my email address ?????

We have decided to switch over to Storm Internet services---were with them before and never had any problems---I just can't bring myself to deal with Rogers---to big--too impersonal--and 40% more for what others offer;---don't forget I'm Scottish

Thanks again guys

Well---back again guys------who would you trust to take your computer too for a clean up and generaly answer some mundane questions. Anyone here willing to make a few dollars IF they know what they are doing---sorry--just had to say that-------I have had so many different answers from so many people it's mind boggling.

I like Jons solution the best---is there any chance that my 3 year old Bell modem is sick ????? And if so how do you check it ?

Thread Information