100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road

Kingsway conditions?

Hi,

Has anyone played Kingsway lately?
    I have a potential work golf tournament there in mid September. (signup is Monday)
    I heard the course is in terrible shape (even now in August). Wondering what others have heard or experienced.

Since the tournament is $75 + cart..... I am thinking of passing if its not in decent shape.

Thanks

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabster View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone played Kingsway lately?
    I have a potential work golf tournament there in mid September. (signup is Monday)
    I heard the course is in terrible shape (even now in August). Wondering what others have heard or experienced.

Since the tournament is $75 + cart..... I am thinking of passing if its not in decent shape.

Thanks
    Was there a week ago. Greens are in good shape but they have laid a lot of new turf on the fairways (in particular #1, #15 and #17). Lots of soggy spots too as they are watering it quite a bit. It's not bad, but when the maintenance crews are out they often don't stop what they are doing and hitting 5 iron shots over people's heads is a just bit nerve-wracking for me.

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar

Thumbs down

Played on Monday, worse shape I have ever seen it in. Looked like greens had not been cut in a couple of days and fairways, as described earlier, a lot of new turf laid that doesn't seem to be doing well. They were free passes I had, but never the less, disappointing. Flowers were nice though.

8 Iron haligolfer is on a distinguished road

kingsway - poor value

played last weekend. Poor conditions all around, and zero beverage cart or marshall sightings. Not worth the price at all.

Quote Originally Posted by haligolfer View Post
    played last weekend. Poor conditions all around, and zero beverage cart or marshall sightings. Not worth the price at all.
    Come to think of it, you are right, the starter wasn't even there.

My main beef is that because of all the work being done it was not easy to know what your ball would do on landing. E.g. "Hmm i'll just land it on the front and it will bump on up to the pin......*lands* *splat*...d'oh didn't realise they had been watering that new turf all morning and the green is soaked at the front". "Hmmm, if the green is wet i'll see if I can land it stiff....*lands* *bounce bounce bounce* D'oh, it's bone dry, they haven't watered that new patch of turf yet today".

My game is bad enough, but when you get jibbed by a guessing game it really takes the biscuit...

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    The only redeeming thing at the Kingway is that although they have suffered severe winter kill they have worked and invested in fixing the course. That is a lot more than other courses. Conditons may not be great but in the long run the work they do will improve the course.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Putter huntmember is on a distinguished road
    I don't intend this to be rude or ignorant, just curious....

Where is Kingsway? I have never heard of it.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Have a look at the Main menu on the left uner Featured Courses
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    The only redeeming thing at the Kingway is that although they have suffered severe winter kill they have worked and invested in fixing the course. That is a lot more than other courses. Conditons may not be great but in the long run the work they do will improve the course.
    Kudos to Kingsway for that.

8 Iron haligolfer is on a distinguished road
    I hear you on the conditions - they are working hard.

What really ticked me off was the complete absence of service - no starter, no beverage cart, no marshalls. I paid $56 for range balls, a pull cart and 18 holes and expected better treatment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by haligolfer View Post
    I hear you on the conditions - they are working hard.

What really ticked me off was the complete absence of service - no starter, no beverage cart, no marshalls. I paid $56 for range balls, a pull cart and 18 holes and expected better treatment.
    Funny. I guess the green fee alone was about $40. I wonder what kind of course/service you'd find for that money in, let's say, Toronto or Montreal. We're spoiled in Ottawa...

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    i play kingsway every weekend as it's real close to my home. its true it's been in rough shape all year, lots of winter kill that took a long time to recover from, the #1, #13 and #17 were in HORRID shape for most of the year, 50% of the fairways were unplayable and you could easily lose a ball in the piles of dirt they had to use to help regrow new grass. couple of the greens had to setup temporary ones to regrow them for a few weeks.

that being said, when i played it this passed sunday night it was in the best shape i had seen it all year (with the exception of the #17 creek, they dug those out REALLY deep with a tractor and had a couple mounds of dirt nearby.. not hindering play.. just kinda weird. it really seems like they're putting the time and effort into getting it ready for next year for a great season after the really took a hit this year.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree, it has come a long way and those "creeks" are supposed to help drain the back nine as they are usually swamps for the first month of the golf season, especially 12, 13, 14, and 15.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

I agree, it has come a long way and those "creeks" are supposed to help drain the back nine as they are usually swamps for the first month of the golf season, especially 12, 13, 14, and 15.
    i couldnt believe how deep they dug down tho.. close on maybe a 20 foot drop id say. they cant normally be that deep? they seemed to do a precise job in making sure the sides were sloped nicely inwards.. im assuming/hoping they'll fill it back in at least a bit when they finish whatever they were doing otherwise i fear we'll be hearing stories of golfers drowning in kingsway trying to step over one of these or trying to retrieve a ball...

speaking of which, my one big gripe is id really like to see them clean up all the rivers and creeks that go throughout the course.. i always found them to be pretty messy and unattractive.

yes, creeks are never really attractive, not sure what you could do to make clean them up though??
    Lefty Lucas

yes, creeks are never really attractive, not sure what you could do to make clean them up though??
    a weed wacker would be a decent start

Thread Information