100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Florida-Panhandle Area Spring 2010

OK Guys---nobody jump off the deep end yet I know it's not Labour Day yet but figured I would sart early Looking for info on the area as far as weather--prices and number of courses. Panama City Beach Destin and vicinity. Going 15th Feb 2010 for 6 weeks---my wife and myself---any first hand information would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks-- Brian
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Gap Wedge Chucker is on a distinguished road

Destin

My fiancee and I have gone down to Destin the last 3 years, but unfortunately not in 2010 (we're getting married later next year - need to save the $$ and vacation days!)

We had usually gone down for a week at a time, between mid-January and early February. The weather is generally cooler, around 15C, though sometimes it gets warmer. We stay right on the Gulf, and often walk the beach, in the water, but we've never gone swimming.

I've played a couple of courses in the area, though I can't really comment on the prices (I haven't paid for a round in 3 years). We most often play Bluewater Bay Resort, a 36-hole course, across the Mid-Bay Bridge from Destin. It's pretty tight, houses all around. It's usually in pretty good shape, though last year they had overnight frost which did a number on the grass. Pace of play was always good, too, didn't really ever get backed up when we play, despite 1 of the 9's being closed.

Last year, my last round of my visit was at Regatta Bay Golf & Country Club, right next to the Destin Commons Shopping Centre, on the Choctawhatchee Bay. It was a very cold day, we teed off at 7:30AM, and the temperature was 34F with the wind chill! Didn't take long to warm up though. I think we got an early-bird rate, maybe $40 including cart before 8, if I remember correctly. A great course, in great shape, and at $40, great bang for the buck. I've got pictures of this course, if you'd like to see them.

Kelly Plantation Golf Club is another great-looking course, haven't played it, but it looks really nice driving past it. It's across the street from the Commons, also on the Bay.

The courses seem to keep the tees, fairways & greens in great shape through the winter, but the rough is dormant, and is often thin, yellowed and sometimes trampled down. This might make some courses play a bit easier than peak season, when the rough is really thick.

That's about all I've got to offer, but hopefully it helps...

Chuck

3 Wood eyeping is on a distinguished road eyeping's Avatar
    I will be going down to Panama City Beach (PCB) for the 3rd time (Jan,Feb&March). We stay right on the Beach within walking distance to Pier Park. Lots of bars and food on Front Beach Rd. The Golf is a little pricey but you have 5 course from 5 to 15 min. away. We usually drive North about 1 hr to Sunny Hills which is a nice track ( $28. walking before 12PM or $28. with cart after). Play a lot at the Air Force club if you are Military or Ex. (1hr away) also the Condo groups have certain days they can play there. Lots of places to stay in PCB, but your time frame might be tough as it is a split month and you are into the ** WILD** Spring Breakers. Usually the rent will go from what you pay a month in Jan. to a weekly rate in March. Have a look at For Rent By Owner (VRBO) and you may be able to deal. If you have any questions PM me and I will try to answer them.

Good Luck

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Thanks fellas---this will be our 6th year of heading south---looking for something a little different---we have rented what is called a Condo---Villa---it's basically a one bedroom unit with stove/ref/Tv etc for 1000.00 US a month. They were clean and secure but a little on the small side---600 square feet and right on the water. Last year was an exception and just goes to prove you can get stung. I hear you about the Spring Break and the cooler weather. While we spent 4 years in Hilton Head---it had only rained 2 days in the 4 years and we only really had one cold week---last year--last week of Feb....the rest of the time was 50 degrees plus---beach weather really didn't start until mid-march---but if you want to play golf---hell 50 degrees is better than 32

We are just looking for a different area with different things to see and do---it seems that if you head to mid-Florida the prices really skyrocket and you may as well be in downtown New York

Oh well any ideas are well worth persuing---I know last year on HH Island 75% of the places were empty---I'm even thinking of going down cold turkey---seeing whats available and offer what is the going rate----the actual going rate is not what is advertised---maybe if your renting by the week--but a 2 month stint is usually very afforable ---would just like to see it before you put your money down.

Thanks again guys Brian
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information