CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar

Garage Floor Repair

My garage floor has settled unevenly. The double car garage is 20 years old and the floor is in reasonably good shape, no major cracks, some pitting. The major problem is in the winter when the snow melts from the vehicles the water is 1"-2" deep on one side of the garage.

Looking for references to a contractor to give estimates and maybe different options. I had an estimate of 5K-6K to remove and replace with concrete, I can't afford that much.

Orleans/Fallingbrook area.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I have the same problem to a lesser degree. only about 1/8th of the floor holds about a 1/2 inch of water. I was just going to get some leveling cement and try to fix it myself but sine I live in the same area as you I will wait to see if you get any responsesand I will jump in with you.
    Last edited by Indio; 08-31-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Hey Pop...

I am no expert... just an idea I was thinking about.

Set it up like a dry well. Make a hole in the cement slab, dig to about 8 feet and put a pipe in there and a nice cover on it. The water will go down the drain and into the soil. I would go to 8 feet so it is under the freezing level ...

So all you have is a 6" to 8" (diameter) pipe going down to about 8 feet. If you have rock under your garage... it is a lot harder. If it is sand or clay... not that hard to do. You could rent a machine to dig this 8 foot hole.

Hope you can understand... Maybe somebody will have a reason why this is completely insane...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Chambokl, although not insane I do believe it is against code. I don't believe you are allowed any sort of drain in your garage floor in the fear that gasoline or other chemicals are allowed to seep into the soil.

I might be wrong, its just what I remember hearing.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Yes, but I think this is a city bylaw (or maybe provincial). So it is different depending where you are living.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    No can do in Ottawa/Orleans. When I had the house built in '89 wanted to put a drain in then but couldn't because of code.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I see you're in Orleans as am I. Great Lido clay which continues shifting for years. My house is ca. 1987 w/double car garage. My floor had dips and valleys due to the vehicle runoff in the winter. I finally brokedown and had a contractor come in and remove and replace it. He showed up with his crew to crack the concrete and cut the rebar to get the floor out. However, it was much easier to remove than it first appeared. Why you might ask?

THERE WAS NO REBAR IN THE FLOOR!!!!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I did not do this, but my garage floor has several 1/2" holes in it, as well as a small channel that goes around each vehicles perimeter, so all the melted snow in the winter will drain away.

For those worried about polluting the groundwater, where do you think the millions of tons of salt put on the highway go? Same goes for a car that leaks, parking your car anywhere if it is leaking, the leaked stuff will end up in the groundwater.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    Rockform Concrete... ask for Jose Leal 6138895325 or rockformconcrete@hotmail.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Poppadon,

Have a look at www.buildingtreatments.com

They specialize in raising sunken concrete pumping a slurry mix of concrete under the existing concrete at a fraction of the cost of replacing it. work is fully guaranteed.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Putter jbraden is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Hey Pop...

I am no expert... just an idea I was thinking about.

Set it up like a dry well. Make a hole in the cement slab, dig to about 8 feet and put a pipe in there and a nice cover on it. The water will go down the drain and into the soil. I would go to 8 feet so it is under the freezing level ...

So all you have is a 6" to 8" (diameter) pipe going down to about 8 feet. If you have rock under your garage... it is a lot harder. If it is sand or clay... not that hard to do. You could rent a machine to dig this 8 foot hole.

Hope you can understand... Maybe somebody will have a reason why this is completely insane...
    this is a big help! got the same situation with my garage floor now and I'm not an expert on this matter. I'll try your suggestion here and hope it will work.

Gap Wedge Gruff is on a distinguished road
    Have a company come in and pour a self leveling finishing top coat (Mapie Ultratop) you will have to clean and prime the existing concrete.
    It is the same finish that box stores such as costco use and is actually very popular. It doesnt neet to be applied very thick 1/2inch max and has a psi somwhere around 6 - 9000 (something like that).
    It is a beautiful durable finish and you should have a choice of colour.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    Have a company come in and pour a self leveling finishing top coat (Mapie Ultratop) you will have to clean and prime the existing concrete.
    It is the same finish that box stores such as costco use and is actually very popular. It doesnt neet to be applied very thick 1/2inch max and has a psi somwhere around 6 - 9000 (something like that).
    It is a beautiful durable finish and you should have a choice of colour.

Agreed, a self leveling cement would be the easiest (most affordable) way to go about it I would think. Typically in box stores they put hardener/sealer down on exposed concrete for traffic.

You will have to do the whole garage as it will stand out where you poured. Do you know why it has sank? Is this something new over the last year or two?

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    I just noticed this post is from 2009....

Thread Information