100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Euro 2004

Hybrid View

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Euro 2004

Well, it's the second greatest event in soccer outside the World Cup, and it's upon us this weekend!

I'm looking forward to watching a great deal of it on Fox Sportsworld, especially if they show my Czechs play.

My predictions for the tournament:

1 - Czechs make the finals and win in a penalty shootout.
    2 - Pavel Nedved (no relation) is named player of the tourney.
    3 - Nobody on this side of the Atlantic will take their heads outta their asses long enough to notice the tournament is going on. Everyone's still mourning the big Flame-out that I predicted....

At any rate, hopefully some of you are soccer fans and can share your thoughts on this exceptional tourney!

Cheers,
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I'm looking forward to watching a great deal of it on Fox Sportsworld, especially if they show my Czechs play.
    Broken: Check out http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/euro/feature.asp?fid=8185

That link has the full TV schedule with times etc. Most of it is on TSN with a few games on FOX sportsworld. They are also showing 'as live' encore games in the evenings.

The only drawback for me, Scotland failed to qualify, so i'm basically cheering on anyone who plays England, and teams with Southampton (my fave team since 1980) players in them, i.e. Sweden and Latvia.

Good luck to the Czechs! I think they will beat Holland and Latvia and tie with Germany. Not sure about them making the final like in '96 but they will probably get quite far.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I'm just hoping England can finally step it up and win this thing: I can't wait for the England/France match, should be a thriller. An england/germany final would be incredible

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I'm just hoping England can finally step it up and win this thing: I can't wait for the England/France match, should be a thriller. An england/germany final would be incredible
    The trouble with England is they have not selected the best English players on current form but mostly who they play for. James Beattie has scored more premier league goals in the last 2 seasons than Rooney, Vassell and Heskey combined!

No place for Shaun Wright Phillips either. Add to that 3 goalies who play for teams that did really badly this season, James (Man C), Walker (Leicester) and Robinson (Leeds), I can't see them realistically winning it. I think they will do okay against France but they should ignore Croatia at their peril!

I am of the belief that there is no more over-rated team in this thing than France. They are banking on a wealth of past-prime talents like Zidane and DeSailly (apparently may not start), and with Barthez in net, they should likely not go far.

I'm looking forward to German, Dutch and Czech games most of all, but have a launch party at a Bulgarian friend's house on Monday morning to kick things off. For that day alone, I am a Bulgaria fan!!! (Hell, the beer's free, the lamb will be nice and hot off the BBQ).....

Really though, I'm just looking forward to watching a team sport where there is not likely to be any sucker-punches or sticks in the head.

Cheers,
    Dan

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    true enough, however, there are sure to be a lot of ballerinas and mike rebeiro's out there, flopping all over the field: I am a huge soccer fan, but hate the amount of theatrics that goes on on a soccer field. I just wish the refs would have the balls to card someone for diving once in a while.

Really though, I'm just looking forward to watching a team sport where there is not likely to be any sucker-punches or sticks in the head.
    I echo those sentements. Where the BESTplayers are ALLOWED to play without being brutally attacked by less skilled players.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    true enough, however, there are sure to be a lot of ballerinas and mike rebeiro's out there, flopping all over the field: I am a huge soccer fan, but hate the amount of theatrics that goes on on a soccer field. I just wish the refs would have the balls to card someone for diving once in a while
    As I understand they are clamping down on this sort of behaviour. Players caught diving are likely to receive a yellow card.

I am of the belief that there is no more over-rated team in this thing than France. They are banking on a wealth of past-prime talents like Zidane and DeSailly (apparently may not start), and with Barthez in net, they should likely not go far.
    I'm with you on this one, Goalkeeping worries, the back four are getting a bit past it and I can't see them being their arrogant selves until they get 2002 off their backs.

Man i'm excited about this tournament!

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking forward to German, Dutch and Czech games most of all, but have a launch party at a Bulgarian friend's house on Monday morning to kick things off. For that day alone, I am a Bulgaria fan!!! (Hell, the beer's free, the lamb will be nice and hot off the BBQ).....

Cheers,
    Dan
    France seems to be doing OK...all they have to do is beat the Swiss, which seems to be a likelihood...

Broken, were you a LITTLE bit worried when Latvia scored against the Czechs?

And is your friend heartbroken after the 5-0 drubbing? Surely the rack of lamb didn't taste as good that night!!

Oh well, great tournament so far...except for the spitting incident.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    3 - Nobody on this side of the Atlantic will take their heads outta their asses long enough to notice the tournament is going on. Everyone's still mourning the big Flame-out that I predicted....Cheers,
    Dan
    Actually my head is not up my ass, it's on the golf course!

As for you predicting the big Flame-out. Did you predict them getting to the cup final? :blush
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Actually my head is not up my ass, it's on the golf course!

As for you predicting the big Flame-out. Did you predict them getting to the cup final? :blush
    Sorry, unlike all you life-long Flames' fans ( ), I only picked them to get to the series against San Jose.... Guess you're one up on me Mike.

Dan

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Hey B-27, if you hurry , you can still get seats but bring lots of EUROS!!

"The federation said on its website that tickets priced at 140, 75 and 45
    euros ($229.10, $122.70 and $73.60 Cdn) would be available today but didn't
    say how many there were."

That's SUPER BOWL prices but for 30+ different times. How many peasants are going to be there?

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Hey BROKEN. Just saw this quote in a British paper:

"Journalists were more or less free to mingle with players at the hotel
    lounge, which was dominated by a bar with free beer on tap, making the
    Czechs instant favourites with the media."

No wonder you "Cheer" for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    Hey BROKEN. Just saw this quote in a British paper:

"Journalists were more or less free to mingle with players at the hotel
    lounge, which was dominated by a bar with free beer on tap, making the
    Czechs instant favourites with the media."

No wonder you "Cheer" for them!!!

Dan

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sorry about the loss Broken. :cryin

Just saw the end of the semi final game. Wild finish.

Thread Information