100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2004

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Euro 2004

Well, it's the second greatest event in soccer outside the World Cup, and it's upon us this weekend!

I'm looking forward to watching a great deal of it on Fox Sportsworld, especially if they show my Czechs play.

My predictions for the tournament:

1 - Czechs make the finals and win in a penalty shootout.
    2 - Pavel Nedved (no relation) is named player of the tourney.
    3 - Nobody on this side of the Atlantic will take their heads outta their asses long enough to notice the tournament is going on. Everyone's still mourning the big Flame-out that I predicted....

At any rate, hopefully some of you are soccer fans and can share your thoughts on this exceptional tourney!

Cheers,
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I'm looking forward to watching a great deal of it on Fox Sportsworld, especially if they show my Czechs play.
    Broken: Check out http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/euro/feature.asp?fid=8185

That link has the full TV schedule with times etc. Most of it is on TSN with a few games on FOX sportsworld. They are also showing 'as live' encore games in the evenings.

The only drawback for me, Scotland failed to qualify, so i'm basically cheering on anyone who plays England, and teams with Southampton (my fave team since 1980) players in them, i.e. Sweden and Latvia.

Good luck to the Czechs! I think they will beat Holland and Latvia and tie with Germany. Not sure about them making the final like in '96 but they will probably get quite far.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I'm just hoping England can finally step it up and win this thing: I can't wait for the England/France match, should be a thriller. An england/germany final would be incredible

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I'm just hoping England can finally step it up and win this thing: I can't wait for the England/France match, should be a thriller. An england/germany final would be incredible
    The trouble with England is they have not selected the best English players on current form but mostly who they play for. James Beattie has scored more premier league goals in the last 2 seasons than Rooney, Vassell and Heskey combined!

No place for Shaun Wright Phillips either. Add to that 3 goalies who play for teams that did really badly this season, James (Man C), Walker (Leicester) and Robinson (Leeds), I can't see them realistically winning it. I think they will do okay against France but they should ignore Croatia at their peril!

I am of the belief that there is no more over-rated team in this thing than France. They are banking on a wealth of past-prime talents like Zidane and DeSailly (apparently may not start), and with Barthez in net, they should likely not go far.

I'm looking forward to German, Dutch and Czech games most of all, but have a launch party at a Bulgarian friend's house on Monday morning to kick things off. For that day alone, I am a Bulgaria fan!!! (Hell, the beer's free, the lamb will be nice and hot off the BBQ).....

Really though, I'm just looking forward to watching a team sport where there is not likely to be any sucker-punches or sticks in the head.

Cheers,
    Dan

true enough, however, there are sure to be a lot of ballerinas and mike rebeiro's out there, flopping all over the field: I am a huge soccer fan, but hate the amount of theatrics that goes on on a soccer field. I just wish the refs would have the balls to card someone for diving once in a while.

true enough, however, there are sure to be a lot of ballerinas and mike rebeiro's out there, flopping all over the field: I am a huge soccer fan, but hate the amount of theatrics that goes on on a soccer field. I just wish the refs would have the balls to card someone for diving once in a while.
    From what I've seen on TV this season (mainly EPL but also some German, Dutch etc..) they have made some progress with it. We'll see if the top club players will try to sway the officials inside the box, but other than that I don't expect as much major shenanigans as in the World Cup. That's where the worst theatrics seem to come out. Many argue that it's because more people are watching, so the media shows it more, but I would say the worst antics in soccer are UNFORTUNATELY taking place WHILE they are under the most scrutiny. It's not a media fabrication.

That kick Rivaldo or Rinaldo or Rinaldino or whoever took in the leg and then dropped with his head clenched in his hands.... So pathetic....

Dan

Really though, I'm just looking forward to watching a team sport where there is not likely to be any sucker-punches or sticks in the head.
    I echo those sentements. Where the BESTplayers are ALLOWED to play without being brutally attacked by less skilled players.

true enough, however, there are sure to be a lot of ballerinas and mike rebeiro's out there, flopping all over the field: I am a huge soccer fan, but hate the amount of theatrics that goes on on a soccer field. I just wish the refs would have the balls to card someone for diving once in a while
    As I understand they are clamping down on this sort of behaviour. Players caught diving are likely to receive a yellow card.

I am of the belief that there is no more over-rated team in this thing than France. They are banking on a wealth of past-prime talents like Zidane and DeSailly (apparently may not start), and with Barthez in net, they should likely not go far.
    I'm with you on this one, Goalkeeping worries, the back four are getting a bit past it and I can't see them being their arrogant selves until they get 2002 off their backs.

Man i'm excited about this tournament!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    3 - Nobody on this side of the Atlantic will take their heads outta their asses long enough to notice the tournament is going on. Everyone's still mourning the big Flame-out that I predicted....Cheers,
    Dan
    Actually my head is not up my ass, it's on the golf course!

As for you predicting the big Flame-out. Did you predict them getting to the cup final? :blush
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Actually my head is not up my ass, it's on the golf course!

As for you predicting the big Flame-out. Did you predict them getting to the cup final? :blush
    Sorry, unlike all you life-long Flames' fans ( ), I only picked them to get to the series against San Jose.... Guess you're one up on me Mike.

Dan

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Hey B-27, if you hurry , you can still get seats but bring lots of EUROS!!

"The federation said on its website that tickets priced at 140, 75 and 45
    euros ($229.10, $122.70 and $73.60 Cdn) would be available today but didn't
    say how many there were."

That's SUPER BOWL prices but for 30+ different times. How many peasants are going to be there?

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking forward to German, Dutch and Czech games most of all, but have a launch party at a Bulgarian friend's house on Monday morning to kick things off. For that day alone, I am a Bulgaria fan!!! (Hell, the beer's free, the lamb will be nice and hot off the BBQ).....

Cheers,
    Dan
    France seems to be doing OK...all they have to do is beat the Swiss, which seems to be a likelihood...

Broken, were you a LITTLE bit worried when Latvia scored against the Czechs?

And is your friend heartbroken after the 5-0 drubbing? Surely the rack of lamb didn't taste as good that night!!

Oh well, great tournament so far...except for the spitting incident.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    France seems to be doing OK...all they have to do is beat the Swiss, which seems to be a likelihood...

Broken, were you a LITTLE bit worried when Latvia scored against the Czechs?

And is your friend heartbroken after the 5-0 drubbing? Surely the rack of lamb didn't taste as good that night!!

Oh well, great tournament so far...except for the spitting incident.
    France allowing Croatia to pull even in 4 second half minutes is much worse than the Czechs allowing a goal to Latvia. I believe they'll advance, then likely bow out.

The 5-0 drubbing was pretty bad, although nobody seriously expected Bulgaria to win. At least the lamb was good, the beer was free, and the party went on and on!!

Dan

CZECHS vs. DUTCH was an outstanding treat to watch.
    Result regardless but I make it 6-4 for the Orange EXCEPT.....

Too bad the REF was pathetic, probably the worst job I've ever ever seen!
    It looked so bad with Collina standing on the sidelines holding up the sign saying "Can #11 please come out to play now?"

PS: Pro-Line has Russia favored over Greece today. I admit Greece has no reason to try to win, but the Soviets haven't even scored a goal yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    I admit Greece has no reason to try to win, but the Soviets haven't even scored a goal yet!!!
    2-1 Russia! Soccer is a funny old game eh!

Greece could have been eliminated had Russia won 3-1 or Spain tied 1-1.

Big_duck
    I'm not much of a Soccer guy, but I did get to watch the first half of Portugal/Spain yesterday. I must say if all Soccer was like that I could get hooked big time. Might even start calling in Football .... naw.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    I'm not much of a Soccer guy, but I did get to watch the first half of Portugal/Spain yesterday. I must say if all Soccer was like that I could get hooked big time. Might even start calling in Football .... naw.
    You should have watched Czech vs Holland, a terrific advert for the game of football. Great championships so far.......except for england doing well

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    CZECHS vs. DUTCH was an outstanding treat to watch.
    Result regardless but I make it 6-4 for the Orange EXCEPT.....

Too bad the REF was pathetic, probably the worst job I've ever ever seen!
    It looked so bad with Collina standing on the sidelines holding up the sign saying "Can #11 please come out to play now?"

PS: Pro-Line has Russia favored over Greece today. I admit Greece has no reason to try to win, but the Soviets haven't even scored a goal yet!!!
    The officiating wasn't spectacular, but I found it cut both ways. The Dutch played a lot more physical game than I'm used to seeing from them, and while the play where Nedved got a guy expelled from the game was questionable, there were plenty of opportunities for that to happen anyways that didn't get noticed.

All in all, I have a feeling that game will be tough to top, unless the Czechs win the tourney of course....

Dan

Why has no one mentioned Wayne Rooney yet. The guy is eighteen, and he's leading the championship with 4 goals. Not to mention he's one of the few soccer players who doesn't dive to the pitch as soon as someone touches him. This is the kind of player soccer needs. Fast, strong, skilled, intense, not a ballerina, and he plays with passion. And of course, most importantly, he's british.

Why has no one mentioned Wayne Rooney yet. The guy is eighteen, and he's leading the championship with 4 goals. Not to mention he's one of the few soccer players who doesn't dive to the pitch as soon as someone touches him. This is the kind of player soccer needs. Fast, strong, skilled, intense, not a ballerina, and he plays with passion. And of course, most importantly, he's british.
    He's a good young player, but before extolling his virtues I'd like to see him do more than convert on opportunistic setups. One of his goals yesterday appeared to be about 5 meters offside (the breakaway).

Oh yeah, and the fact that he's British and there don't seem to be a lot of Brit supporters in here would likely be the reason why nobody has talked about him.

He'll be decent for a while, but he's no Zidane, Van Nistleroojy (sp), Nedved, Figo, Raul.... Don't rush him into stardom. He's only 18.

Dan

He's a good young player, but before extolling his virtues I'd like to see him do more than convert on opportunistic setups. One of his goals yesterday appeared to be about 5 meters offside (the breakaway).

Oh yeah, and the fact that he's British and there don't seem to be a lot of Brit supporters in here would likely be the reason why nobody has talked about him.

He'll be decent for a while, but he's no Zidane, Van Nistleroojy (sp), Nedved, Figo, Raul.... Don't rush him into stardom. He's only 18.

Dan
    Weren't you the one that called Zidane a "past-prime talent"?

And the one that said some other dude should be on the team instead of Rooney?

GO ENGLAND GO !!!!

British = Someone from either England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

The words British and English are not interchangable. Rooney is English but also British, but British supporters can be from either of the four countries mentioned above. Usually the Scots, Welsh and N Irish prefer to see England and their young talented (but raw) strikers fail.

Also for the TSN panel the union jack is the British flag, the English is a red cross on a white background!

Rant over!

Weren't you the one that called Zidane a "past-prime talent"?

And the one that said some other dude should be on the team instead of Rooney?

GO ENGLAND GO !!!!
    I still maintain that Zidane is past his prime, and quite frankly the stats he has put up belie that to an extent. Scoring on a penalty kick should be relatively automatic. He has made some nice plays, but so what? I'm not allowed to think he's past his prime? All these people calling him the best player in the world must be delusional considering the FACT that Pavel Nedved was named European player of the year. If Zindane's not good enough to win that, how could he be the best in the world?

Having looked over the entire thread, I also find no post where I suggested Rooney shouldn't be on the team. Just warning all those English soccer team officials not to rush him into stardom too quickly. If they read my posts that is.....

Hank Hill, I recognize that I erred. My point was mainly a response to someone who had called them the Brits. Normally I don't make mistakes like that one, since I think a person's nationality is fairly important and not inter-changeable. If I offended you (which I doubt), I apologize. I do thank you for correcting my improper use of "British" versus "English" however.

Cheers,
    Dan

I still maintain that Zidane is past his prime, and quite frankly the stats he has put up belie that to an extent. Scoring on a penalty kick should be relatively automatic. He has made some nice plays, but so what? I'm not allowed to think he's past his prime? All these people calling him the best player in the world must be delusional considering the FACT that Pavel Nedved was named European player of the year. If Zindane's not good enough to win that, how could he be the best in the world?

Having looked over the entire thread, I also find no post where I suggested Rooney shouldn't be on the team. Just warning all those English soccer team officials not to rush him into stardom too quickly. If they read my posts that is.....

Cheers,
    Dan
    Apologies, it was Hank Hill who talked about Rooney...

With regards to Zindane, didn't he win world player of the year last year? If I'm wrong, please correct me...maybe it was the year before. Anyhow, France seems to be doing just fine.

Apologies, it was Hank Hill who talked about Rooney...
    I didn't say he shouldn't be picked I was just dissapointed for James Beattie who should have been selected ahead of Vassell and Heskey.

PS Not offended about British/English mixup, I was just trying to educate you Canucks (and Czech). I know you lot hate it when you are in Europe and get mistaken for a yank!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    I didn't say he shouldn't be picked I was just dissapointed for James Beattie who should have been selected ahead of Vassell and Heskey.

PS Not offended about British/English mixup, I was just trying to educate you Canucks (and Czech). I know you lot hate it when you are in Europe and get mistaken for a yank!!
    More upset about being called "Czechoslovakia" it would appear. That's more to do with quality of broadcasting than anything else. I was just responding to another post and used the same lingo. Should have double checked my post (as I normally do) before putting it up for all to read. I get where you're comin' from.

As for Zidane and the French, they are out-performing my expectations to be sure. I will not deny them their results. Zidane made a couple of nice plays, and is a very capable player. No doubt. But regardless of the stats he has put up, or whether he just won an award of any kind for anything possible within human intellectual comprehension, I will re-iterate that I think he's past his prime.

If nothing else Sensfan63, take is as a compliment to his stature in world soccer, and please stop dwelling on minute details of an otherwise interesting thread.

Thanks,
    Dan

More upset about being called "Czechoslovakia" it would appear. That's more to do with quality of broadcasting than anything else. I was just responding to another post and used the same lingo. Should have double checked my post (as I normally do) before putting it up for all to read. I get where you're comin' from.

As for Zidane and the French, they are out-performing my expectations to be sure. I will not deny them their results. Zidane made a couple of nice plays, and is a very capable player. No doubt. But regardless of the stats he has put up, or whether he just won an award of any kind for anything possible within human intellectual comprehension, I will re-iterate that I think he's past his prime.

If nothing else Sensfan63, take is as a compliment to his stature in world soccer, and please stop dwelling on minute details of an otherwise interesting thread.

Thanks,
    Dan
    geez, don't get so irritated...just trying to figure out why you have that opinion...

Beckham is ATROCIOUS

Beckham is ATROCIOUS
    Same shank as in 2000. Nice to be consistent!!!

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    geez, don't get so irritated...just trying to figure out why you have that opinion...
    Football is not a sport, it is a passionate infection with a culture. So please be understanding with the patients, there is no such thing as an opinion when it comes to soccer.

Vive ZIZI, Allez-y-les bleus!
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Thread Information