100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shaft Question

Sand Wedge jono31 is on a distinguished road

Shaft Question

I play a draw but I find when I really want to swing my driver I play a huge high draw. My miss is a hook, but I find that even on good contact when I give a good swing I will get 275 almost all of it carry with a draw that plays from the right side of the fairway to the left. This is good distance and carry for me but it is very annoying to control, and the height makes it difficult to play in the wind. I am currently using a Grafalloy prolaunch blue stiff shaft. I don't consider my swing speed too high, and (finally) my question is are there other shafts out there that might be a better fit?

Pitching Wedge duhast is on a distinguished road
    could be anything buddy, a swing tendency, wrong shaft, even wrong flex. Get fitted is my advice!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jono31 View Post
    I find that even on good contact when I give a good swing I will get 275 almost all of it carry with a draw that plays from the right side of the fairway to the left. This is good distance and carry for me but it is very annoying to control, and the height makes it difficult to play in the wind. I am currently using a Grafalloy prolaunch blue stiff shaft. I don't consider my swing speed too high, and (finally) my question is are there other shafts out there that might be a better fit?
    A ball that starts right of the target line and ends left of the target line is a HOOK. The good news is that the path of your club head is from the inside and the bad news is that the club face is a little closed at separation instead of being slightly open, a position that produces a pure draw. Solution: Turn your left hand left a little (assume right handed). The ball should now end up in the middle.

While your angle of attack may be a little too upward, a golf shaft with a stiffer tip section may lower the ball flight a little. Your shaft is of "average" tip stiffness. The Aldila NV 65 "X" or 75 "S" are examples of shafts that provide a stiffer tip section. However, I would make the simple grip and swing adjustments first, rather than possibly waste time and money on shafts.

Sand Wedge jono31 is on a distinguished road
    Sounds good, I better hit the range. I've often played around with ball placement and tried not to take the club way inside...maybe the grip is the key

Thread Information