CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Football Movies

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Football Movies

So, I finally got around to seeing The Express last night, and while I wasn't overly enthused about Dennis Quaid as the coach, I thought the movie was well done. Pretty sad that a guy with that much talent and desire was cut down by leukemia before he even got to his prime. IIRC, the only player in NFL history to have his number retired without ever playing a single game.

There seem to be a lot of them out there. Here's the one's I can remember seeing...

- Rudy (thumbs up)
    - Leatherheads (thumbs down. can't stand Renee Zellweger, and George Clooney is barely tolerable in this type of film)
    - The Longest Yard (the original. thumbs up. way better than the remake, which sucked)
    - Any Given Sunday (thumbs down. typical Bruckheimer over the top schlock)
    - The Replacements (thumbs down. Gene Hackman is annoying, and I just can't see "Ted Logan" as a QB)
    - Varsity Blues (thumbs down. teenage angst on the gridiron, and Jon Voight is irritating)
    - Remember The Titans (thumbs up. good performances by all)
    - We Are Marshall (thumbs up for a really sad story. normally I find Matthew McConaughey barely tolerable, but he does a good job in this one)
    - All The Right Moves (so-so. decent story. Tom Cruise pre-lobotomy)
    - Jerry McGuire (thumbs down. Tom Cruise post-lobotomy. show me the exit)
    - Invincible (thumbs up. great story. a Mark Wahberg movie that doesn't suck)
    - Wildcats (thumbs way down. Goldie Hawn makes me ill)
    - The Program (so-so. tries to be an expose of college football life but drops the needle)
    - Necessary Roughness (so-so. Scott Bakula - bad, Sinbad - not so bad)
    - Lucas (thumbs up. good movie for the Disney set)
    - Brian's Song (thumbs up. another sad story about a good guy cut down in his prime by cancer)
    - North Dallas Forty (so-so. not bad if you check your helmet at the door)
    - The Waterboy (thumbs down. Adam Sandler plays himself in this film)
    - Friday Night Lights (don't know. I missed it in theatres and then made the mistake of seeing the Bad News Bears remake first. Billy Bob Thornton is dead to me)
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    It's not a football movie, but the Mean Machine is pretty good. It's a remake of the Longest Yard, but starring Vinnie Jones as a pro soccer player in the can. So, I guess to most of the world its a football movie, but to us, it's soccer. Anyway, entertaining movie, though its not going to win any awards. But then again, I personally think that anything Vinnie Jones touches turns to gold.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    wow rich, you've seen a lot of bad football movies.
    Andrew

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    i also saw the express the other night (movie network), and agree it was quite good
    haven't seen all the movies you mentioned above, but gotta disagree with The Waterboy , thumbs way up, using Captain Insano moves on the field.... classic

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Rich missed one, or at least one that has a football scene. Run Forest, run. That's not the name of the movie, but should trigger a memory in some of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    wow rich, you've seen a lot of bad football movies.

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    Radio

Stars: Cuba Gooding, Jr., Ed Harris

T.L. Hanna high school in Anderson, South Carolina had a visionary football coach Harold Jones, who sees beyond the mental challenges of Radio. They would stay friends for several decades, and Radio becomes an inspiration to his community.
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

A very touching movie. Cuba Gooding Jr. and Ed Harris are great in it.

Quote Originally Posted by TWoody View Post
    Radio

T.L. Hanna high school in Anderson, South Carolina had a visionary football coach Harold Jones, who sees beyond the mental challenges of Radio. They would stay friends for several decades, and Radio becomes an inspiration to his community.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TWoody View Post
    Radio

Ah, knew I forgot (at least) one. Thumbs up for Radio.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Ach!! Another one I forgot.

- Gridiron Gang (thumbs up. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson does a good job in this one)

How could you forget Knute Rockne All American with Pat O'Brien and Ronald (Yes I Was the President) Reagan? It came out in 1940, just the year you were born! Win one for the Gipper!

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    How could you forget Knute Rockne All American with Pat O'Brien and Ronald (Yes I Was the President) Reagan? It came out in 1940, just the year you were born! Win one for the Gipper!
    I'll see your Knute Rockne, and raise you Jim Thorpe All American, 1952 starring Burt Lancaster. Great movie, even if it did use a white guy to portray an American Indian.

BTW - if I was born in 1940, would that make you a technical advisor on the Rockne film?

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I'm sure almost everyone has also seen Semi-Tough, with Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristopherson and Jill Clayburgh.

Thread Information