CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Do you play in the rain?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't play in the rain

9 12.86%
  • I'll play in a bit of a light drizzle only, but walk off if the rain gets too hard

21 30.00%
  • As long as there is no lightning, I'm playing

40 57.14%
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar

Are you a fair weather friend????

Many of my rounds have been at least partially in the rain this summer, and was wondering what most people do in that situation. My regulare weekend foursome are out rain or shine (we don't mess around with lightning though). I noticed that we are often fairly alone on the course on the wet days, so I was wondering what others do.
    We'll also play right until Remembrance Day when our course closes, although I think that many players do that as well.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'm a Maritimer..............a little wind and rain never hurt anyone

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If I could only play on weekends It would be different but since I have a pretty open schedule I can play when it's nice out and do other things when it rains. A light rain shower is no big deal but a steady or heavy rain isn't fun.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I'm originally from Maine and lived for many years in N.B. and N.S. If you didn't play in rain, you didn't play. I'll play in any type of weather (and have done just that this year) save for lightning. As for lightning, if there is any chance of its manifesting itself, I will leave the course immediately. In fact, I did just that a few years ago even before OVGA officials stopped play in an intersections competition.

I love it when it rains during a competition, because I realize that a lot of golfers will let the rain get to them and that gives me an advantage. What's not to like?
    Last edited by mpare; 08-25-2009 at 01:05 PM.

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    There are 3 types of weather that can upset a round of golf - rain, wind and cold. I'll play in any 1 of them, but not 2.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Don't move to the Maritimes or most of your golf will be played on your XBox.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    There are 3 types of weather that can upset a round of golf - rain, wind and cold. I'll play in any 1 of them, but not 2.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Very well said, however, I've played through all 3 with a bit of snow thrown in.
    Andrew

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I,ll play in snow,sleet,rain,fog,locus whatever.

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    also being a maritimer, and only a recent golf addict, bring it all on, if i have a chance to get out im there

Seems like us maritimers are plentiful on this site...

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    I won't start a round in the rain or if it is forecast at 80% plus (rain not showers)
    the few times I've been caught out on the course, I finished the round
    BTW I'm a maritimer too
    Last edited by rancherJ; 08-26-2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add on

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    For the most part I'll keep playing if it starts raining while I'm playing a recreational round. I'll head out to a match if the radar doesn't look like guaranteed rain all day (forget the forecasts, learn to read weather mapping yourself for a more accurate take on what's coming)...

I will not stay on the course if lightning is in the area - regardless of circumstance. There's always tomorrow or next week!

HOWEVER... in case one of my wise cracking Slammer Tour buddies come on here to mock me... my rule has typically been "I'll play in the cold and I'll play in the rain... but I won't play in the cold AND rain at the same time." I took off without teeing off at Casselview a couple years back - it was +2 degrees with a persistent drizzle. They still laugh at me for that - but almost freezing plus rain CAN'T be a good thing and it certainly sucks the fun out of a day. I won't do it.

BullDog

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I'm also a Maritimer and I'll play when there is a 100% chance of rain so long as it is not a monsoon. My only real concern is keeping my hands dry - and I carry rain gloves, 5 extra gloves, and three extra towels all in ziplock bags just in case.

I agree any 1 of these is no problem if dressed properly. Playing in 2 is more difficult but won't stop me. Playing in all 3 can be very difficult and I'll probably pass unless it's important - like playing the Highland Links or Crowbush on a quick trip back east. Lightning scares the bejesus out of me and I'll take shelter ASAP when it is around.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I don't mind light rain or drizzle. But if it starts raining hard, I'm out. I play enough golf during the summer, I don't need to play in heavy rain.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Will cancel if it will rain during a round (faithful weather radar watcher), but will not leave a course if it rains during a round. Will huddle up and wait for it to pass. Have even played through thunder, but have never quit a round... due to weather. Game is tough enough without the added challenge.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    If it's raining to start---won't go---once I've started--won't leave--I'm Scotish
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'll play in the rain and cold no prob but if it's raining and really windy i'm out.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I did quit a round at Mont Ste Marie one Thanksgiving when it was snowing so hard the (mandatory) cart windshiled was no longer see-through, and the greens were blanketed with a couple inches of thick, heavy snow. It was a blizzard.
    Andrew

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    We will see tomorrow morning I guess.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Had to quit after 9 holes this morning as I was wet and cold. We were the only ywosome on the course as the two groups ahead quit on 6 & 7 I believe as we lost them.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Had to quit after 9 holes this morning as I was wet and cold. We were the only ywosome on the course as the two groups ahead quit on 6 & 7 I believe as we lost them.
    lol. good try though.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    just finished 18 at The Marshes..........methinks that I'll play in the rain

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Cold + rain = worst possible combo.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Yesterday takes the cake for me. It was our club championship (Stonebridge), and it was nasty. My umbrella spent most of the day inside out, but that was fine, as the rain was coming sideways anyway. I don't follow up too many rounds with a cup of tea, but yesterday I did just that! The men's B and C flights as well as the women were called in midway through the the back (tournament shortened to 27 holes) and one group of the A flight had to finish their last 3 holes this morning before round two. It just go silly out there. Rooster tails on putts, standing water on fairways and in bunkers, and very hard to to hold the club. Snow excluded, that was probably the worst I have played in.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Played Saturday at Marshes but quit after 6. Too much cold rain and wind and the other three in my group were quiting.

Sand Wedge jono31 is on a distinguished road
    I am always convinced whatever course I play will be missed by the predicted weather. When I am on the course I am also sure it will blow over in a matter of minutes. Though Saturday morning at Stonebridge my umbrella broke in half just above the handle and blew away. There must me a new technology on the way to make golf operate independently of the weather.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    It never rains on the golf course, but sometimes the humidity is quite high.

Having said that, I'm getting tired of playing in the rain and have actually cancelled a few games this year.

Playing in a bit of snow is OK though, until you can't putt anymore.

Pitching Wedge Leejanzen is on a distinguished road
    My best round ever was played in misty windy weather. As long as I'm playing a course with consistently quick greens, I almost prefer playing wet weather (I have a very high ball flight so I rarely get roll anyways and greens tend to hold a little better so I can be a little more agressive on pitches and chips, etc). I just find a way to dry my hands or I grab a handful of dirt every once in a while to keep the hands sticky.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Drizzle, cold, wind, no problem ( I've played in 70 mph gust with 35 mph constant). I will not start a round in pouring rain unless it's a competition. I would just rather go straight to the dome and do some practicing.

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    I play in light rain, but heavy rain is too much. I have played many times when I only quit because the greens flooded and you could no longer putt.

Thread Information