CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar

Clubs that perform great but are overlooked

Wondered what others here have "discovered" over the years in terms of lesser advertised or value clubs that perform great.

My personal favorites are the Never Compromise putter series (just a great putter mfr), and the Yonex Vmass wood line. Fantastic value and performance from both these mfrs in my experience.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    KZG forged irons. Like butter and virtually unknown to the mainstream buyers.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Bridgestone CG Mid irons. Dunno if they qualify for an unknown, but definitely not the most popular clubs.

I used to play Nike pro Combos because I hated the huge amounts of offset that game improvement clubs came with, and these clubs provide a happy medium for me. While they do have some offset, they make up for it with huge levels of forgiveness on off-center hits all the while keeping most of the feel of a nice players club. They really made a difference in my game and added a lot of confidence.

It doesn't hurt that they can be had for about $200 new nowadays.

Par Sparkplug is on a distinguished road Sparkplug's Avatar

Great performing clubs

Be mindful that the latest are not necessarily the greatest. I switch now between KZG's and a 7 year old Titlest baldes that I think are my most favorite clubs I have ever played with. I get anxious when I think I will some day have to replace them.

I don't mean to go out an get a 30 year old set of Hogan Blades (although they are sweet)

Also like fine guitars there are some "boutique brands" out there that perform very well. Although likely out of business.

For example a friend had a Nicklaus Brand Driver that he bombed but could not get over the fact it was not a "brand name". He bought a Taylor Made and has not hit the ball as well as he did with the Nicklaus driver.

Generally we can all tell quality and if they fell good to you, play em'

Some of higher quality clubs that are either no longer around or in limited prduction;

Goldwyn Golf
    Zevo (when I travelled to Florida,these were all the rage) Along with
    Nicklaus Golf
    Palmer Phd's (really expensive with the integrated grip)
    Daiwa
    Toney Penna
    MacGregor(too bad about their demise)
    Kenneth Smith
    Wood Bros.
    Please fel free to add to these

Wilson Clubs do not get the respect they deserve either.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I'll add another vote for KZG forgings...I have CBIII forged irons and LOVE them. Not exactly cheap but certainly little known

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I also picked up a couple of Nckent Hybrids for $50 each at GT earlier this year and thought they were great value and a great club

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    I also picked up a couple of Nckent Hybrids for $50 each at GT earlier this year and thought they were great value and a great club
    I think the entire nickent line is great value, but I think they are known to a big degree because of their great hybrids. But their 4dx drivers and fway woods can compete with anything out there too but dont seem to get the same press as their hybrids.

I have a KZG forged wedge, and its sweet. Never had the pleasure of playing KZG irons cause always been loyal to Yonex irons (the oldies are amazing for spare parts like the boron shafts which some clubmakers have called some of the finest irons shafts ever produced)

Putter gumba is on a distinguished road
    I have a Never Compromise Voodoo Daddy (mallet) putter and it's fantastic. You don't see a lot of people playing them. I got it at Golf Town a few years ago on clearance $100 off - well worth the $60 paid. I alternate been it and a Cleveland FF II (blade) depending on how they've been treating me over the last few rounds. A poor carpenter blames his tools.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Nickent

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    There are still some at their clearance sale and the shaft is the V2 Hybrid which is worth the price of the club altogether. I have hit my friends and it is sweet.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I think overrated clubs to me would be the bridgestone j33 line and the nickent irons. Everybody knows about the nickent hybrids but there 4dx line of irons are awesome. They beat out every other set in golftown and the price was about 600 to 800 less which was a bonus.

Lob Wedge toro57 is on a distinguished road
    I think the mactec NVG2 fairway woods have been underrated...Built the same as the tour edge exotics but you never heard much about them....I still use mine

The best wedges I have ever played are not the vokeys, clevelands, or even pings. They are the hogan riviera and carnoustie line, cost practically nothing, and all they do for me is produce one great shot after another. Just incredible feel for a cast club. I rediscovered these this year, all it needed was a fresh grip!

Thread Information