CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Rogers adds HD Golf Channel

I don't know the cable carriers in ottawa but in toronto rogers has long said they did not know when they would add HD golf channel.
    Someone on tgn just told me today that the 546 channel is hd. I turned it on and sure enough the tavistock cup is hd.
    Now in my opinion the picture does not look true hd, fuzzy to my eye. Maybe compressed alot or not true hd. I would look at tournaments on thurs and fri to see as i know their image when doing pga events is great quality.

But this is great news. Let me know on here if it effects you guys do you have rogers?
    by the way it says free preview until april 9th, so i have all sports and upper level hd package but you may need to subscribe to get it.
    cheers all.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I am pretty sure I have watched regular GC and it has said HD in the corner and it clearly was not HD. IF it's fuzzy, my guess is that it's definitely not HD.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    SWEET!!! I'll check this out tonight

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    It is channel 546 in Ottawa too, woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watching the tavistock cup live in HD right now!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I'll have to check that out when I get home. Someone set up my HD-PVR to record it would ya!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    It is channel 546 in Ottawa too, woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watching the tavistock cup live in HD right now!
    What's your call? True HD??

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I would say it is true HD cause it is clear as a bell on my set.... and the regular 410 is always fuzzy.....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Its probably a true HD channel but the Tavistock cup did not get an HD camera sent to it since its such a small minor event. All the big weekend tournaments will get the HD cameras.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I would say it is true HD cause it is clear as a bell on my set.... and the regular 410 is always fuzzy.....
    Thanks Bob

............come to think of it, maybe you just remembered to put your glasses on today

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    SICK!!! I guess it is HD...can't wait.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Thanks Bob

............come to think of it, maybe you just remembered to put your glasses on today

Hmmm, I did put them on when I used the remote

The more I watch, the less convinced I am that they are using HD cameras but the picture is definitely better than on the regular channel.

When they show the player on the tee, the crowd in the background isn't quite as crisp and clear.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Hmmm, I did put them on when I used the remote

The more I watch, the less convinced I am that they are using HD cameras but the picture is definitely better than on the regular channel.

When they show the player on the tee, the crowd in the background isn't quite as crisp and clear.
    I'm thinking that it must be HD..........the Rogers uses the 500's for their HD lineup.

Anyone know if Bell express view has GC HD yet??

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Man its a good day....the sun is shinning, i just hit some balls at Haime's and now the golf channel in HD!!!!!!!!!! now i just need to find me a green beer!

Ok guys i can for sure give you the laydown now. Quinner it always said HD on the regular golf channel in corner because that is a logo they use on almost all broadcasts regardless of which channel or carrier you are with. That is why it also said "where availalbe, ask for golf channel HD thru your local carrier".

Re what is on channel 546? I remember when HD launched years ago with rogers and most channel, not all, but most were very compressed signals that take the quality and degrade it.
    Better than sd but compressed..but that then changed. YOu will still see some channels once in awhile that look either way better i.e. super crisp hd and some that are good but not as stunning. That is compression.
    Try watching LOst or american idol or dancing with the stars it is stunning. Then watch some american channels and occasionally it is inferior.

Now re tavistock cup they are either taking a sd broadcast and upping it onto the hd channel or they compressed it, or the proper equipment was not sent, it looks way better than standard definition but not super crisp, those who know hd will see right away.....but...but..
    ...but...they just showed a commercial for hd golf channel on 546...the same commercial i often see on regular channel...78 in my area...but...but..it was 100% definitely a true HD channel because the picture was incredible and the voice over said "watch every hair move" or something like that.
    So tavistock or not, compression or not right equipment this week...

THE GOLF CHANNEL HD IS FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar
    Anyone actually call Rogers to find out if there's gonna be a cost, or if it's in a package we already get...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Looks like there are some HD cameras and some standard def cameras at this event, the broadcast is in 1080i. It is roughly 10000 times better than the standard def broadcast on channel 78. Should be great for the PGA tournaments on Thursdays and Fridays when they will have full HD coverage.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Excellent! Time to reprogram the favourite channels on the PVR.

As others have pointed out, when the picture does not look HD it is probably just a widescreen SD upconvert for when they don't have HD cameras. The good news here is that it will be better quality than the SD channel and it will be widescreen.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    I wonder if we get to see Barkley's swing in HD!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Excellent! Time to reprogram the favourite channels on the PVR.

As others have pointed out, when the picture does not look HD it is probably just a widescreen SD upconvert for when they don't have HD cameras. The good news here is that it will be better quality than the SD channel and it will be widescreen.
    I havent noticed much quality difference between shots, so i could have missed them switching views between sd or hd. But i did for sure notice in widescreen vs flipping over to the regular SD version, that you are getting a nice widescreen picture with full view.
    When i went to sd it cut off people on the left and right of the players so that is cool. whoo hoo!

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road

Cogeco?

Anybody have any inside information that the Cogeco in Hamilton will carry GC HD? Knowing how Cogeco operate, I can't see them including it in the same HD package without charging an additional fee. It would be super sweet if they did, but....

Leaf's games that were broadcast on Sportsnet (being Rogers owned) this winter, would get trumped by a World Series of Poker program, even though the guide would say the Leafs were on. I sure hope Rogers don't "own" the GC HD rights, leaving Cogeco in the dust.

I won't hold my breath waiting for Cogeco to add it to it's HD lineup.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The Golf Channel on 546 is definitely HD. It remains to be seen just how much real HD content there will be. The Tavistock cup is being upscaled, but it is better than on ch 78 in SD.

Thursday and Friday PGA broadcasts would be worth a couple of bucks a month but I hope it's included in the HD specialty pack I already get. I just hope they don't bundle it with an expensive sports pack I don't want. Nothing on the Rogers website yet.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    The Golf Channel on 546 is definitely HD. It remains to be seen just how much real HD content there will be. The Tavistock cup is being upscaled, but it is better than on ch 78 in SD.

Thursday and Friday PGA broadcasts would be worth a couple of bucks a month but I hope it's included in the HD specialty pack I already get. I just hope they don't bundle it with an expensive sports pack I don't want. Nothing on the Rogers website yet.
    Group it with something you already get!?!?! We are talking Rogers right??!!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    One can always kid one's self.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    One down, one to go (Videotron!!!)

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Group it with something you already get!?!?! We are talking Rogers right??!!

LOL... I'll try to find out tomorrow.... Hopefully it will be part of the HD specialty Package !!

Tim
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    According to the Bell ExpressVu person my wife talked to last week they will be adding the Golf Channel HD soon. It was supposed to be on the air last week but they had technical problems she said.

With Bell it will be packaged in with 3-4 other new HD channels for $5/month. Or you can do what we did and drop 4 channels and pick up the new ones added and your price remains the same.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    The Golf Channel in HD will be at NO EXTRA Cost after the free preview, if you already subscribe to the golf channel in SD.

Enjoy Fellas

Tim
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Anyone know if this is available on Expressvu? I checked yesterday and could not find it…

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Any other wierdos out there with StarChoice?
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Any other wierdos out there with StarChoice?

Thread Information