100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar

Ruling needed...

Hit an iron shot to the green and the ball roll on the fringe. Can I fix my ball mark before chipping/putting my ball from the fringe?

Am I only allowed to fix ball mark after my ball is on the green?

Thanks
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Hit an iron shot to the green and the ball roll on the fringe. Can I fix my ball mark before chipping/putting my ball from the fringe?

Thanks
    You may repair a ball mark on the green at any time, regardless of where your ball is.
    Rule 16-1c

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post

Related to the above.

If your ball mark on the fringe is between you and the hole, you may NOT repair the ball mark. If a ball mark on the fringe is created by another golfer after your ball has come to rest, you may repair it.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The logic of the rules never ceases to leave me in wonderment.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Related to the above.

If your ball mark on the fringe is between you and the hole, you may NOT repair the ball mark. If a ball mark on the fringe is created by another golfer after your ball has come to rest, you may repair it.

So BC, you can't fix your ball mark until you are on the green. So you might have to put over it or around it I guess...

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    But, if it weren't for that rule, people would intentionally (because golfers have a huge amount of control over their pitch marks) make huge pitch marks between their ball and the hole so that they could repair them, and have conditions that were significantly worse than if no ball mark existed in the first place. We just can't allow golfers to give themselves an unfair disadvantage.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Related to the above.

In his original question, the ball landed on the green, where it made the mark, and then rolled onto the fringe. Can the ball mark on the green, not one on the fringe, be fixed under 16-1c or any other rule?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    In his original question, the ball landed on the green, where it made the mark, and then rolled onto the fringe. Can the ball mark on the green, not one on the fringe, be fixed under 16-1c or any other rule?
    Any ball mark ON THE GREEN may be repaired at any time, by anyone. You can repair a ball mark if you're in the bunker and you think the ball mark is in your way.

YOUR ball mark on the fringe cannot be repaired if it's in your way. (you being on the fringe)

Rule 16-1C – The player may repair an old hole plug or damage to the putting green caused by the impact of a ball, whether or not the player’s ball lies on the putting green.

The rule says an old hole plug... not the one I have just made?

"Old hole plug" refers to the circular patch of grass that is left when the cup is moved (has nothing to do with a ball mark"

So you can always repair a hole plug that is sticking up slightly, as well as repairing any pitch mark caused by the ball, provided the mark is on the green.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I had this happen to me on Wednesday, my ball landed on the fringe and stopped right behind the ball mark with the ball mark exactly in line with the pin. I started to reach in my pocket for a divot tool when I thought hold on there buddy I can't fix that mark till afterwards. I just putted over the mark without too much difficulty. If the mark was raised greatly I would have basically putted with a 5 iron to fly the ball mark. I fixed the mark after I holed out.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Here is the decision:

13-2/8 Player's Lie or Line of Play Affected by Pitch-Mark Made by Partner's, Opponent's or Fellow-Competitor's Ball
    Q. A player's lie or line of play through the green is affected by a pitch-mark made by his partner's, his opponent's or a fellow-competitor's ball. Is the player entitled to relief?
    A. If the pitch-mark was there before the player's ball came to rest, he is not entitled to relief without penalty.
    If the pitch-mark was created after the player's ball came to rest, in equity (Rule 1-4), he may repair the pitch-mark. A player is entitled to the lie which his stroke gave him.

Does the logic make more sense now?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Thanks. The light bulb just came on.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Here is the decision:

13-2/8 Player's Lie or Line of Play Affected by Pitch-Mark Made by Partner's, Opponent's or Fellow-Competitor's Ball
    Q. A player's lie or line of play through the green is affected by a pitch-mark made by his partner's, his opponent's or a fellow-competitor's ball. Is the player entitled to relief?
    A. If the pitch-mark was there before the player's ball came to rest, he is not entitled to relief without penalty.
    If the pitch-mark was created after the player's ball came to rest, in equity (Rule 1-4), he may repair the pitch-mark. A player is entitled to the lie which his stroke gave him.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Here is the decision:

So, why should it be any diffeent on a green. What then, is the logic between being allowed to repair pitch marks on the green? It's a logical inconsistency. shocking.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    jonf

What is the most obvious difference between a green and the rest of the course? That should give you a clue.

The only one I can think of is that on the green my ball never goes where I want it to, but it sometimes does on the rest of the course.

I guess on the green there is an assumption of a good lie, whereas the rest of the course is 'play it as it lies'. Hence being able to mark and clean a ball on the green, and not being able to do so on the rest of the course. To me it just seems illogical that, if my ball is on the fringe, and there is a pitch mark lying direcly between my ball and the hole, also on the fringe, i can't repair it. If that ball mark happens to be 1 inch closer to the hole, and lies on the green, I can repair it.

I hit an iron shot to the green and the ball roll on the fringe. Can I fix my ball mark before chipping/putting my ball from the fringe?

Can somebody answer the original question in clear term...

Note:

The ball is on the fringe
    The ball mark is mine and is on the green
    The ball mark was there before my ball came to rest

Note: Player's Lie or Line of Play Affected by Pitch-Mark Made by Partner's, Opponent's or Fellow-Competitor's Ball

That doesn't include Me anywhere... so can I fix MY ball mark.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The original question was answered by AAA in post #2 of this thread. Yes you may fix that.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thanks... with all the add-on I wasn't sure anymore.

Thread Information