100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

The Importance of Identifying Your Ball

This scenario has happened twice in my tournament golf lifetime and in both cases I did not handle the situation correctly.

On the first tee of our club championship several years ago three of the four members of the group indicated the marks on their ball identifying them as their own. The fourth said that he does not mark his ball, (a Strata Tour Professional). On that first hole the player, whose ball did not have a mark, hit it into some trees/rough and after a little searching he declared that he found it, just as I stepped on a ball of the same kind that he showed us on the first tee.

Not being fully aware, at that time, of what should have been done, none of us challenged the individual and we continued the game, but all the time knowing that the individual had probably dropped a ball through the hole in his pocket.

I must add that this individual was a dangerous person, details about which I will avoid, which perhaps added to our gutlessness. If this were to happen today, I would "call" him, but I would have a three iron in my hand if I did.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

Marking balls...

I totally agree that in competition that all balls should be marked.

The way my game has been going, I should change my marking to "please return to The Shtick (insert address here)"

guyinottawa

dangerous person?

What kind of danger did he present?

Quote Originally Posted by guyinottawa
    What kind of danger did he present?
    "I must add that this individual was a dangerous person, details about which I will avoid,..."

guyinottawa

Come on!!!

Come on humour us!!!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Looks like a thug... acts like a thug... don't piss him off

guyinottawa

wow

he must do wonders with your game... last time you play with him i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by guyinottawa
    he must do wonders with your game... last time you play with him i guess...
    Yes.

Left hook.

Right cross.

Has left the province. Whew!

Another time I was in playoff with this gentleman and one other for the club's senior championship and on the playoff tee, he stuck his finger on my chest and said threatingly, "You shouldn't even be here," referring to the fact that our club's senior age was 50 and over and he felt that it should be 55 and over as is the OVGA's and RCGA's.

My response was, "I didn't make the f*g rules and keep your hands to yourself," to which he actually backed off. Fittingly, he bogeyed the first hole and was eliminated.

Rumour has it that his troubles have followed him to his new province and new golf courses. Yes, I said courses, because he apparently got kicked out of the first one for stealing stuff from the pro shop, again. Get the picture? Lock up your daughters, gents.

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Another time I was in playoff with this gentleman and one other for the club's senior championship and on the playoff tee, he stuck his finger on my chest...
    Sigh...people who do this kind of thing put their finger on the wrong chest eventually, get some comfort in that.

Unbelievable.

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Doesn't it suck that they will sell golf clubs to anyone with the cash?.......I have a soon to be former member of our foursome who should have to carry an abacus, calculator AND have his foot counted as a club......that part I can live with....you are only fooling yourself........but this guy won't shut up about his golf course exploits. I wouldn't be suprised to hear him telling his "Yeah, finished with an 18" story.
    Friends don't let friends sell clubs to boneheads

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Yes.

Left hook.

Right cross.

Has left the province. Whew!

Another time I was in playoff with this gentleman and one other for the club's senior championship and on the playoff tee, he stuck his finger on my chest and said threatingly, "You shouldn't even be here," referring to the fact that our club's senior age was 50 and over and he felt that it should be 55 and over as is the OVGA's and RCGA's.

My response was, "I didn't make the f*g rules and keep your hands to yourself," to which he actually backed off. Fittingly, he bogeyed the first hole and was eliminated.

Rumour has it that his troubles have followed him to his new province and new golf courses. Yes, I said courses, because he apparently got kicked out of the first one for stealing stuff from the pro shop, again. Get the picture? Lock up your daughters, gents.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    There is a bright side to the discussion of this individual. The fact that we all recognize that that such a person doesn't belong in the game of golf constitutes a refreshing affirmation that such characters are atypical in this wonderful game. It's comforting to know that we play a sport were civility and respect for other players is the norm.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    There is a bright side to the discussion of this individual. The fact that we all recognize that that such a person doesn't belong in the game of golf constitutes a refreshing affirmation that such characters are atypical in this wonderful game. It's comforting to know that we play a sport were civility and respect for other players is the norm.
    Except for the few days before OUR Ryder Cup!!!
    :po :po

Thread Information