100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie irish_OG is on a distinguished road irish_OG's Avatar

Playing with a Marshall

I had a round the other day - went out as a single and ended up pairing up with a marshall from that course (meadows) i'd say he was late sixety's .......on the 1st nine holes I was pounding drives (at least 50-70 yards longer than my partner) and missing the short putts 3-7" range ....... finished 47 - then on the back he suggested that I rush the greens and need to calm down abit and even mark my putts evn if they are within 5" - so i took his advise on the back and had half the putts .....finishing 43 on the back (the only problem was I went OB on 8- south - right onto the highway and lost a shot - then went into the drainage crap on 9 .....) By the end of the round I felt much calmer on the greens and it was 'casue he told me to calm down and slow down..............can't wait 40years to be a marshall and give the same advise!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I had the pleasure of playing with quite a few marshalls and let me tell you we could all learn a little on this crazy game we play.The best ball striker bar none that i played with was a marshall at Casselview a few years ago.He played old Hogan blades, over 40 years old,and man he hit those pure every shot.They are not all out there for free golf and the job is demanding some times especially when they have tournements and some people get out of hand.Remember, they are out there only doing what the course owner wants them to do.I,m glad you had a pleasant experience Irish One and lets show some respect to these fine ladies and gentleman.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I played with one yesterday----and he's a friend of mine AND I'm not touching this one with a 10 foot pole !!!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    Some of us aren't really so bad to play a round of golf with!

7 Iron owenb is on a distinguished road owenb's Avatar
    I help marshall for tournaments...the other advantage with a marshall is the course knowledge.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by irish_one View Post
    I had a round the other day - went out as a single and ended up pairing up with a marshall from that course (meadows) i'd say he was late sixety's .......on the 1st nine holes I was pounding drives (at least 50-70 yards longer than my partner) and missing the short putts 3-7" range ....... finished 47 - then on the back he suggested that I rush the greens and need to calm down abit and even mark my putts evn if they are within 5" - so i took his advise on the back and had half the putts .....finishing 43 on the back (the only problem was I went OB on 8- south - right onto the highway and lost a shot - then went into the drainage crap on 9 .....) By the end of the round I felt much calmer on the greens and it was 'casue he told me to calm down and slow down..............can't wait 40years to be a marshall and give the same advise!
    Played with the Club Pro at Chester in Nova Scotia. I was playing OK until then ( he joined with me at the turn) but I found his 'helpful' hints where more screwing with my confidence than helping me. He was a nice enough guy and even offered to pair up again (free round?) if I come back this summer.

I think lessons and hints should be asked and not offered on a golf course. My wife and I played with a guy a couple of weeks ago that criticized three or four things about my wifes swing and totally ruined her game. He tried to tell me something and I gave him the look of 'one more word and this club will hit the wax ball in your ears into the hole 150yds away'.. and he shut up.

Bogie irish_OG is on a distinguished road irish_OG's Avatar
    i agree - unsolicited advise is ignoing as all hell !!!

Thread Information