CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Andru

A lesson in club fitting and checking.

Just a quick story.

I'm coming off a very successful golf year in 2003. I reduced my handicap to single digits and I'm hittng darts with my irons.

This year. started slow. But something wasn't right. I can stripe some of my irons and some are not working. Violent duck hooks. Weaks fades. Just not comfortable. I wrote it off to spring rust. I'm in week 5 now of hitting balls and it's still not right. I'm shooting like a 11-12 handicap. GIR?? I'm scrabling on every hole.

So for a week. I'm trying everything. Can't find the answer. As I'm about the throw my ball striking in the garbage. I decide to have the lie angles checked.

BAAAMMMM.

6 iron 1 degree to upright. 3 other clubs are 2 degrees too upright. The rest are perfect. I get them fixed. Go to the range. 10 balls to work out the bad timing develoed trying to compensate for the bad lie angles. WOW. I even put my 3 iron back in the bag. I know there was a debate about this subject and I wanted to point out the importance of getting your lie angles. checked. as it turns out. I was doing everything correct and the clubs were literally throwing the ball left.

He's the second part. and a question to all the club makers. Is it possible that lie angles can change over time? It's been about 18 months. Is this something I should check every year?

Thanks,
    Andru

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    While preaching about my anti off the rack bias, I have always asked if the golfer had the lies checked and adjusted if necessary as part of the purchase price. Most haven't, while some have. You have discovered that lie checking is one of the most important elements of club fitting and if not done, some inconsistency occurs on seemingly good swings.

Assuming that your clubs are forged or made from 431 stainless steel, it is important that you check the lie angles at least annually. Sometimes when golfers practice a lot from firm turf/mats, or, if they are prone to banging the club on the ground after having missed a shot, there can be slight movements of both the lie and the loft angles.

Now that your clubs have been adjusted let's see how long it will take you to get your handicap back down to the single digits.

The lie board never lies.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    While preaching about my anti off the rack bias, I have always asked if the golfer had the lies checked and adjusted if necessary as part of the purchase price. Most haven't, while some have. You have discovered that lie checking is one of the most important elements of club fitting and if not done, some inconsistency occurs on seemingly good swings.

Assuming that your clubs are forged or made from 431 stainless steel, it is important that you check the lie angles at least annually. Sometimes when golfers practice a lot from firm turf/mats, or, if they are prone to banging the club on the ground after having missed a shot, there can be slight movements of both the lie and the loft angles.

Now that your clubs have been adjusted let's see how long it will take you to get your handicap back down to the single digits.

The lie board never lies.
    They are Ben hogan Apex plus irons. Very soft. I've been hitting off mats all winter. That could explain it. I also spent most of my time hitting my long and mid irons. Not so ironically they were the ones that needed adjusting.

Thanks for the info BC. I will have them checked every year from now on.

Cheers

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Who is a good clubfitter in Ottawa?

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    They are Ben hogan Apex plus irons. Very soft. I've been hitting off mats all winter. That could explain it. I also spent most of my time hitting my long and mid irons. Not so ironically they were the ones that needed adjusting.

Thanks for the info BC. I will have them checked every year from now on.

Cheers
    dbleber:
    Anyone know of a good clubfitter in Ottawa?
    Denny

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    dbleber:
    Anyone know of a good clubfitter in Ottawa?
    Denny
    Artisan Golf Co 215 Terence Matthews Crescent, Kanata (613) 592-0524

His name is Don. Good honest guy.

Cheers

Artisan Golf Co 215 Terence Matthews Crescent, Kanata (613) 592-0524

His name is Don. Good honest guy.

Cheers
    dbleber:
    Thanks Andru, what does he charge?
    Denny

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    dbleber:
    Thanks Andru, what does he charge?
    Denny
    Depends on what you get done. He has a launch monitor as well. The lie angle adjustments were 5 dollars a club. Just call him. He's a great buy.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Depends on what you get done. He has a launch monitor as well. The lie angle adjustments were 5 dollars a club. Just call him. He's a great buy.
    Just curious.

After you spent $40 or so on getting the lies adjusted, did you hit any balls off the lie check board again, or whatever device he uses, to ensure that the adjustments made were, in fact, accurate?

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Just curious.

After you spent $40 or so on getting the lies adjusted, did you hit any balls off the lie check board again, or whatever device he uses, to ensure that the adjustments made were, in fact, accurate?
    To answer your question, Yes.

The best evidence was the consistency of my ball striking and the improvement.

Can you change the lie angle on a 3 wood or taylor made rescue club?

dbleber;
    I think I am going to take mine to place here in Kingston called progolf. $40 bucks for every iron in your bag even wedges. Sounds good to me? Let you know how they are before and after.
    Denny

Thread Information