In taking a drop from a cart path, it is my understanding that you must take "full relief". In other words, you cannot still stand on the cartpath after taking relief.

The in the Imovable obstructions section rulebook states "
(i) Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it without penalty within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When the ball is dropped within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the immovable obstruction and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green."
The argument could be made that this says nothing about the stance. My take on it is that the stance is understood to be covered by "interference by the immovable obstruction"

A player dropped and his feet were still on the path. In this case full relief was available, but would have meant an inhibited back swing

c. When to Re-Drop
A dropped ball must be re-dropped without penalty if it:
(v) rolls to and comes to rest in a position where there is interference by the condition from which relief was taken under Rule 24-2b (immovable obstruction), Rule 25-1 (abnormal ground conditions), Rule 25-3 (wrong putting green) or a Local Rule (Rule 33-8a),

A player has played from a wrong place if he makes a stroke with his ball in play:
(ii) when the Rules require a dropped ball to be redropped or a moved ball to be replaced.

b. Match Play
If a player makes a stroke from a wrong place, he loses the hole.

c. Stroke Play
If a competitor makes a stroke from a wrong place, he incurs a penalty of two strokes under the applicable Rule.
My assesment would be 2 strokes for making a stroke from a wrong place

Question:
Is complete relief really required in this situation?
Under what circumstances is "Maximum available relief" OK? (ie: really wet fairways with no real relief)

Thanks