100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Harrington leads Tiger by 3 strokes

Padraig Harrington responded to a late charge by Tiger Woods with one of his own Saturday and shot a 3-under 67 at rain-softened Firestone to build a three-shot lead going into the final round of the Bridgestone Invitational.

More...

Hybrid Bravesox is on a distinguished road Bravesox's Avatar
    tigers 2 ahead after 9

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Tiger one behind after taking two bogies. Great contest. Three holes left.

Hybrid Bravesox is on a distinguished road Bravesox's Avatar
    triple for harrington, birdie for woods......gotta hate for padraig to lose it this way...thats golf i guess...-11 woods -8 harrington

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravesox View Post
    triple for harrington, birdie for woods......gotta hate for padraig to lose it this way...thats golf i guess...-11 woods -8 harrington
    That was an amazing 8 Iron from 182 yards over water to inside a foot.....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I too was pulling for Padraig. Hopefully, having just been warned on 16 that they were on the clock did not affect the outcome, but I suspect that it did. As it was, they played in 4 hours.

How about Tiger's ability to recover. A 181 yard 8 iron third shot on 16 to 6 inches is superhuman. What a shot. The lasered second shot on 18 for another birdie was just the icing on the cake. The man can scramble.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravesox View Post

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Padraig Harrington responded to a late charge by Tiger Woods with one of his own Saturday and shot a 3-under 67 at rain-softened Firestone to build a three-shot lead going into the final round of the Bridgestone Invitational.

More...
    When Tiger is on your tail no lead is safe.
    Invariably the stalked victim (inlc. Sean O'Hair at Arnold Palmer Invitational this year with a 5 stroke lead) falters, stumbles and ends up in Tiger's paws. Grr ..
    Time for chow time. Missus is calling.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Hopefully, having just been warned on 16 that they were on the clock did not affect the outcome, but I suspect that it did. As it was, they played in 4 hours.
    I don't think you win major championships in the manner that Harrington has won them, especially his two last year, if being put on the clock affects you to that degree. Especially since no one actually gets penalized for slow play. I would imagine he was far more affected by Tiger's 8i than he was by the clock warning. Seeing Tiger with a certain birdie probably forced Harrington to play a more risky shot out of the rough to try and save par.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I don't think you win major championships in the manner that Harrington has won them, especially his two last year, if being put on the clock affects you to that degree. Especially since no one actually gets penalized for slow play. I would imagine he was far more affected by Tiger's 8i than he was by the clock warning. Seeing Tiger with a certain birdie probably forced Harrington to play a more risky shot out of the rough to try and save par.
    Upon reflection regardless of the impact of his 8i shot or clock warning on Padraig, IMHO, it would be fair to say this tournament was not for Harrington to lose or to give the title to Tiger.

It was won by Tiger's solo performance; absolutely stunning front nine, and his 8i attack at the flag and an excellent round of 65. Thats why he is No.1. There is nobody to give him anything so to speak.

P.S. Padraig still wouldn't win it even if he had a saved par on the triple bogey meltdown hole. So perhaps Padraig did the right thing by going for broke. No?

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfinteg View Post
    Upon reflection regardless of the impact of his 8i shot or clock warning on Padraig, IMHO, it would be fair to say this tournament was not for Harrington to lose or to give the title to Tiger.
    ---

It was won by Tiger's solo performance; absolutely stunning front nine, and his 8i attack at the flag and an excellent round of 65. Thats why he is No.1. There is nobody to give him anything so to speak.

P.S. Padraig still wouldn't win it even if he had a saved par on the triple bogey meltdown hole. So perhaps Padraig did the right thing by going for broke. No?
    Harrington CHOKED! He had to shot under par and he didn't!
    He shot +2 in the final round. Tiger -5
    In the end when Tiger is playing well... He smoked him!
    Bite, Bite!

I believe if Padraig had pulled it off at the 16th. hole he would have been called brilliant. Then he deserved to win the title.*

All else is moot.

* Like I say Padraig still needed to go for the flag to win the title. Nobody gives away anything. Padraig just couldn't pulled it off. A four (4) stroke deficit at the end of the day.

Thread Information