CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar

New ball suggestions?

Anyone have any thoughts on any of the new balls that have come out?

I'm thinking of trying a few out, just thought I'd get some insight before buying a few sleeves.

Already I have:

Callaway HX Tour
    Dunlop Tour
    Nike Mojo
    Nike TA2 LNG

Anything else? I currently play Callaway HX Red Three piece, and love them, but they're not making them after this season, or so I've heard.

Thanks in adance,

rockford35

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by rockford35

I'm thinking of trying a few out, just thought I'd get some insight before buying a few sleeves.

Already I have:

Callaway HX Tour
    Dunlop Tour
    Nike Mojo
    Nike TA2 LNG

Anything else? I currently play Callaway HX Red Three piece, and love them, but they're not making them after this season, or so I've heard.

Thanks in adance,

rockford35
    Callaway HX Tour. Bar none. Friggin fantastic ball. Flies a mile. Bites on the green.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Callaway HX Tour. Bar none. Friggin fantastic ball. Flies a mile. Bites on the green.
    Ya baby!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    dbleber:
    What do they cost for a box?(Callaway HX Tour)
    Denny

Already I have:

Callaway HX Tour
    Dunlop Tour
    Nike Mojo
    Nike TA2 LNG

Thanks in adance,

rockford35
    dbleber:
    I am trying out the Top-Flight Strata Tour Ace from recommendations on this site today and will let you know how they feel. The price is right hopefully they will play well.
    Denny

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    dbleber:
    Denny
    They aren't the cheapest
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Andru
    dbleber:
    Denny
    54 bones @ GT

Having played HX Red's for a while now, I know I will be somewhat biased towards the HX Tour's.

I tried chipping in the backyard last nite with the Nike Mojo. Someone must have stolen the mojo from these balls, because they have zero feel IMO. They feel like an old RAM 110 off the face. Hard and non responsive.

Remember the old Pinnacle Golds? God I used to love those balls. I played one that I found in my practice balls a couple of weeks ago, those balls are so crappy.....lol.

Technology, ain't it grand?

Anyone tried the new Dunlop's or Precept's?....Heard nothing but good things bout them.

rockford35

Pitching Wedge Vulcan is on a distinguished road

Srixon...

Try the Srixon balls. I believe GolfTown is the place to get them. The new 333 is a really nice ball.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Wow, if you really want to spend $50+ on golf balls, go right ahead. I don't really see the point, but that's just me.

I play with Maxfli D-Tec Spin Distance balls, which retail for just over $20 for a pack of 15, and quite frankly I find that for a player of my ability they are just great. I can see the bite take effect on the greens, and the distance is pretty solid in comparison to other balls I've tried (including the Pro V1).

I find it laughable that non-professional players will spend $50 on golf balls. I find them in the bushes all the time and think to myself "how long did this jackass look for this ball, I wonder?".

Cheers, hope the new balls work out for you so well that you can win tournaments to pay for them!

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Wow, if you really want to spend $50+ on golf balls, go right ahead. I don't really see the point, but that's just me.

I play with Maxfli D-Tec Spin Distance balls, which retail for just over $20 for a pack of 15, and quite frankly I find that for a player of my ability they are just great. I can see the bite take effect on the greens, and the distance is pretty solid in comparison to other balls I've tried (including the Pro V1).

I find it laughable that non-professional players will spend $50 on golf balls. I find them in the bushes all the time and think to myself "how long did this jackass look for this ball, I wonder?".

Cheers, hope the new balls work out for you so well that you can win tournaments to pay for them!

Dan
    Dan

I believe the thread was about what olf balls you recommend. Not accounting and money management advice.

I use to feel the same way about the dorks who would buy 250 dollar hockey sticks. Then it occurred to me. Everyone has different goals in life. Some people get joy out of a nice stick some out of a 3000 dollar mountain bike, pro skis, fancy cars, fine dining, wild vacations, boats, etc, etc, etc, Sure you can get A to B in a Kia but it would be nice to drive an M5. Even if you're not on a race track.

Some people want to go through life eating vanilla ice cream and that's fine. just don't tell me I should eat vanilla too.

I've played the cheap balls and I've played the expensive ones. There's no doubt. The premium balls out perform the cheap ones when you can apply enough force to it. IE.

If you can compress a premium ball spend the dough. If you can't don't.

If you can generate enough spin to get the Premium ball to bite buy it. If not. Don't.

If you lose 6 balls a round don't buy the premium balls if you can't afford it.

It's really really simple.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I used to get the Top Flite XL2000 Exceptional Spin balls. You couldn't beat the price and they spun like crazy. They we're replaced last year by the XL3000. They still spin like nuts and you can get them pretty much anywhere for about $25 fo 15 balls.

Another sub $30 ball is the Top Flite Tour (blue and silver box), its a Strata look-alike (same company) and they have a nice soft cover.

The third one that I've tried is the Dunlop 65u. Again under $30 and were last available at CB's but are harder to come by now. The new variation is the Dunlop Moebius (black and green box) at Golf Town. Same urethane cover as the 65u, which really grabs on the short irons, but now has an inner cover (a la Strata) for more distance. They've got funky shaped dimples that really help hold your line in the wind. I think they're about $32.

Lots of choice in the mid-price, high performance range (almost too much), you just need to look
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Dan

I believe the thread was about what olf balls you recommend. Not accounting and money management advice.

I use to feel the same way about the dorks who would buy 250 dollar hockey sticks. Then it occurred to me. Everyone has different goals in life. Some people get joy out of a nice stick some out of a 3000 dollar mountain bike, pro skis, fancy cars, fine dining, wild vacations, boats, etc, etc, etc, Sure you can get A to B in a Kia but it would be nice to drive an M5. Even if you're not on a race track.

Some people want to go through life eating vanilla ice cream and that's fine. just don't tell me I should eat vanilla too.

I've played the cheap balls and I've played the expensive ones. There's no doubt. The premium balls out perform the cheap ones when you can apply enough force to it. IE.

If you can compress a premium ball spend the dough. If you can't don't.

If you can generate enough spin to get the Premium ball to bite buy it. If not. Don't.

If you lose 6 balls a round don't buy the premium balls if you can't afford it.

It's really really simple.
    Read my original post again. I gave a recommendation, then made opinion-based comments about the crazy prices people (*who lose balls, as I stated) will pay for balls. "I find them in the bushes all the time and think to myself "how long did this jackass look for this ball, I wonder?".

The amount you spend on balls won't improve your game by itself. You still have to hit it, and as I pointed out, "for a player of my ability....etc"

Cheers,
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

dbleber:
    I am trying out the Top-Flight Strata Tour Ace from recommendations on this site today and will let you know how they feel. The price is right hopefully they will play well.
    Denny

dbleber:
    Tried it out today and not to shabby. It stops on a dime and I even pulled a few back. I did find it to be a bit shorter than my usual NXT distance balls but the stopping power on the greens and the great feel under the putter made up for 5-10 yards easy. I did find the soft feel weird under my driver, it felt reallt mushy and took a few holes to get use to it. Try these balls out they are a great value for the performance.
    Denny

Lob Wedge j-dog is on a distinguished road
    Not that I'm an expert in any manner when it comes to golf balls. But I seem to be having good luck with the Dunlop LoCo "Bite" balls @ Superstore for $15.99.

I also noticed there is a "Super" LoCo ball out, but haven't seen the price on them yet.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I find it laughable that non-professional players will spend $50 on golf balls.
    Actually. This is what you said.

Cheers
    Andru

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar

Precept U-Tri Distance

I normally play Pro V1's, but I won a sleeve of Precept U-Tri Distance balls and decided to try them out today. I was pleasantly surprised with their overall performance. I did not notice any distance loss off my driver, and they really spun like crazy for a distance ball. And most importantly (for me anyways) they actually felt pretty soft chipping and putting. I should also mention that they seemed to be very scuff resistant, played the same ball all 18 holes and it still looked new! I think I'm going to try the U-Tri Tour's next...

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

Maxfli

Already I have:

Callaway HX Tour
    Dunlop Tour
    Nike Mojo
    Nike TA2 LNG

Thanks in adance,

rockford35

At Sports Experts in Hull they gonna have the Maxfli A10 soft cover for $19.99 within 2 weeks.It's a clearance, but a very good ball.................chip

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar
    I play the Dunlop LOCO and just tried the new super crazy long LOCO and find them to be a good ball for my ability (2nd year golfer) and I can hit them long as they are low compression and my club head speed with the driver is 105 mph. I tried many different ones and always come back to them and for what they sell for ($13.00/dozen) I don't spend too much time looking for them if I loose one.
    Just my opinion.

Thanks guys. I'm heading out for the weekend, I'll post my findings.

Cheers,

rockford35

9 Iron hobbit is on a distinguished road
    I find the prov1s don't help my game. Callaway Hx balls are superbly versatile.

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    treated myself and bought a set of the callaway hx tour - i usually dont splurge like this as i can feel you can get better deals on good balls from last year or a few years ago. anyhow, will see how they work down in malone!

My findings on various balls from the weekend:

Dunlop Custom Pro

I liked these balls, but they didn't fly as far nor stick as well as Callaway balls. For the price, you can't miss. Nice to putt with, which was a suprise.

Nike TA2LNG

These balls are garbage, IMO. I played 16 holes with them, never got the feel. I gave them to one of my playing partners, he loved them. Go figure. Not as long as Callaways, less feel than the Dunlops. Shot one in the trees, only ball I lost all weekend after 96 holes. All hype, I'll pass thanks. Save your money and buy some $12 Top Flites.

Callaway HX Tour

Best balls out there hands down. Expensive, but so worth it if you're a scoring player. Not for the weekend hacker, because of the price. But they react in every aspect that you throw at them. Long, crazy long. And bite. I sucked three or four wedges back almost without trying. And a gem to putt with. Great ball, just expensive. An easy 10 outta 10.

I was so impressed with the HX Tours, I just couldn't justify trying anything else this weekend. I used the same ball for three rounds just about before packing it in due to the cover being pretty much scuffed to hell. But other than that, I can't complain.

If I ever get to the other sleeves, I'll let everyone know how it went.

My $0.02.

rockford35

Andru
    My findings on various balls from the weekend:

Dunlop Custom Pro

I liked these balls, but they didn't fly as far nor stick as well as Callaway balls. For the price, you can't miss. Nice to putt with, which was a suprise.

Nike TA2LNG

These balls are garbage, IMO. I played 16 holes with them, never got the feel. I gave them to one of my playing partners, he loved them. Go figure. Not as long as Callaways, less feel than the Dunlops. Shot one in the trees, only ball I lost all weekend after 96 holes. All hype, I'll pass thanks. Save your money and buy some $12 Top Flites.

Callaway HX Tour

Best balls out there hands down. Expensive, but so worth it if you're a scoring player. Not for the weekend hacker, because of the price. But they react in every aspect that you throw at them. Long, crazy long. And bite. I sucked three or four wedges back almost without trying. And a gem to putt with. Great ball, just expensive. An easy 10 outta 10.

I was so impressed with the HX Tours, I just couldn't justify trying anything else this weekend. I used the same ball for three rounds just about before packing it in due to the cover being pretty much scuffed to hell. But other than that, I can't complain.

If I ever get to the other sleeves, I'll let everyone know how it went.

My $0.02.

rockford35
    That's funny about the Nike's. I tried the Nike ONE ball. It does everything the HX Tour does but not as long. So given they're the same money. I'll stick with the HX Tour.

Thread Information