100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road

SMT Component Heads

Does anyone know if there exists a SMT distributor here in Ottawa?

I was particularly looking into the SMT Solitaire model of fairway wood / hybrid. If anyone has used SMT heads or even the Solitaire, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    amac

Driver Happy Gilmore is on a distinguished road Happy Gilmore's Avatar
    Check this list out.

http://www.smtgolf.com/dealers/canada.asp

I don't think that any of these listed dealers are local, but hey, at least they are in Canada.

Cheers
    Happy

"Play every shot so that the next one will be the easiest that you can give yourself." - Billy Casper

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I have a bit of experience with SMT. The drivers are for the most part fantastic... with the Nemesis, Shinne and Carnoustie among my favorites. I have not hit the Solitaire woods but they have a reputation for being solid, well finished, easy-to-hit, but of average distance (dissending, more knowledgable opinions welcome). Personally the average distance does not bother me as I would be more concerned about consistancy than being able to hit a 3 wood 250... sometimes.
    Here is a list of SMT Canadian distributors:

You could also go to the main page of the SMT site www.smtgolf.com and contact the owner, Mike Tait, who I am sure could provide you with a local distributor. Mike is a great guy and always willing to answer questions about his product. Tell him HUSABERG of the GEA told you to contact him.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road

Solitaire

Hi,

I've got two Sloitaire fairway woods, a 2.5 and a 6.5 and love both of them. I know that on another forum there has been some talk about hitting the 2.5 off the deck but I just love it's nice low flight. The 6.5 is becoming one of my favourite clubs. We have a few other members hitting some of the fairway woods and loving them also. I'm sure BCMist will ring in here as he's the one that has built all my clubs including my SMT 455DB driver. SMT makes an awesome club.

If anyone has used SMT heads or even the Solitaire, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    I have a bit of experience with SMT. The drivers are for the most part fantastic... with the Nemesis, Shinne and Carnoustie among my favorites. I have not hit the Solitaire woods but they have a reputation for being solid, well finished, easy-to-hit, but of average distance (dissending, more knowledgable opinions welcome). Personally the average distance does not bother me as I would be more concerned about consistancy than being able to hit a 3 wood 250... sometimes.
    Here is a list of SMT Canadian distributors:

You could also go to the main page of the SMT site www.smtgolf.com and contact the owner, Mike Tait, who I am sure could provide you with a local distributor. Mike is a great guy and always willing to answer questions about his product. Tell him HUSABERG of the GEA told you to contact him.
    Thanks for the info, Proforged. I'll go ahead and do my homework, but from what I've seen on their website and from the brief feedback on this thread, it would be a good way to go.

Like you, I am more concerned about playing my second shot from the fairway than about squeezing an extra 10 yards out of a tee shot.

Thanks again,
    amac

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by amac
    Thanks for the info, Proforged. I'll go ahead and do my homework, but from what I've seen on their website and from the brief feedback on this thread, it would be a good way to go.

Like you, I am more concerned about playing my second shot from the fairway than about squeezing an extra 10 yards out of a tee shot.

Thanks again,
    amac
    In the last few months I have assembled a dozen 455 Deep Bores, two Spectrums, 1 HP, 2 Nemesis heads and a few Solitaires from SMT. Only two golfers who tried the Deep Bore did not buy one and all the rest have expressed improvement in both distance and accuracy. The heads that they gave up had old fashioned names like Titleist, Callaway, Nike, Yonex, etc..

While the distance increase is in the 10 yard range from on centre contact, the greatest benefit from the 455 is the tremendous increase in (1) accuracy, and (2) distance from off centre contact, particularly towards the toe.

Because the face is deeper and because the hosel insertion depth is 2.25 to 2.5 inches, there is less twisting on off-centre hits. One golfer expressed a concern about perhaps not being able to work the ball with the 455, which he likes and can do.
    He found that workability was just as easy with the 455 as with his previous driver.

In all the SMT heads I built, I installed SK Fiber shafts which is perhaps anoher reason why greater accuracy is occurring as the SK's are built better than most other name brand shafts. I have an ACCUFLEX VS339 in mine and it performs as well as the SK Lite Revolution did.

I am no scientist, but I am a believer in the SMT products. The proof is in the results.

9 Iron Christian is on a distinguished road
    I must admit that I am among the SMT converts (10 degree DeepBore driver, 2.5 Solitaire and 4.5 Solitaire, all with frequency matched SK Fibre Lite Revolution shafts). A few points.

My favourite of all three is the 4.5 Solitaire. I hit it fairly high and straight (or with a slight draw) and it is my 240-250 yard club. An ideal club for tight driving holes or when my swing isn't quite dialed in.

My next favourite is the DeepBore. Although I have experienced some distance gain (which was not really needed), I greatly agree with BC Mist that the major benefit of this driver has been increased accuracy (less amount of hook for me). Although I can attribute some of this to improving swing mechanics, some is definitely attributable to the equipment.

My least favourite is the Solitaire 2.5. While I have no problem with this club off the tee (it tends to fly fairly low) and is my 260-270 yard club, I have yet to master it off fairway or out of the rough.

I love both the feel and sound that these clubs make when contacting the ball (the DeepBore sound is pretty unique as is the grooveless face). I would certainly recommend the 4.5 to anyone but the jury is still out for me regarding the 2.5. I guess I still have some things to work out and work on. Hope this helps.

Christian

P.S. I cannot comment on Proforged's remark that these clubs are of average distance as I tend to be longer than most but would expect that to hold true regardless of which club head was being used.

Lob Wedge Keating is on a distinguished road
    [edit]
    Just spoke with Mike Tait again.
    He said he has registered here, and will make an effort to be active on this board.
    [/edit]
    Holy smokes!
    I just wrote to request a catalog and got a e-mailed response from Michael Tait about 60 seconds later. (and it didn't stink of autoresponder)

Keating

Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    Last edited by Keating; 06-25-2004 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Update

Gap Wedge SMT is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the heads up to visit your forum...

I will try to be an active and valuable member of your group!

It will take me some time to get used to how things work up here, so please be patient

Please feel free to ask me anything that is on your minds... or send me personal emails..

I love to help, and look forward to having some fun with you guys.

Thanks again.

Mike

Thread Information