100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Dufferton is on a distinguished road

Burner Plus or Burner '09

Hi,

I'm a high handicapper and I'm looking for a new set of irons. I really like the Taylormade Burner products and purchased the Burner Driver after comparing with a few other drivers.

I'm kinda torn between the Burner Plus or Burner '09 irons. Can anyone make a recommendation? Anyone tried both types? It sounds like the Burner Plus might be a little more forgiving.. is this true?

Thanks,
    Duff

Hybrid chris_woods is on a distinguished road chris_woods's Avatar
    i'd recommend the tour burners myself, very forgiving and i got 10-20 more yards with each club.

Hybrid Bravesox is on a distinguished road Bravesox's Avatar
    tour burners and the 09's would be closer...burner plus are oversized. i have hte tour burners and think they are great too...
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_woods View Post
    i'd recommend the tour burners myself, very forgiving and i got 10-20 more yards with each club.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    I had the same dilema last week and settled on the 09 Burner set. I compared them to the Burner Plus. I hit both sets well and one factor is the lofts. The Burner is 1 deg. stronger. The Plus set is on sale at GT, a bag and savings of $150.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    +1 for the Tour Burners

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I agree with the members here.Burner irons are the best and easiest irons i have had so far.As far as the Burner Plus,they are more of a game improvement type and i would recommend those.I believe they come with hybrids 3 and 4 am i correct?

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    If you are a high handicap I would go with the burner plus. The main reason being that they come with the two hybrids. Yes the 09 burners might go a little further, but the plus will be more forgiving which is likely much more important than length. The hybrids are going to benefit your game immensely and give you confidence with your long irons that you likely never had.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Burner Plus comes in 2 configurations, irons only 4-AW, and a combo 5-PW and 3,4 hybrids. Both sets are on sale.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar

Thumbs up Burner 09s - Cannot Say Enough!!!!

I was tossing up between a set of Ping Rapture 2s and a set of Burner 09s. As a low 90s golfer, I knew that I could hit the ball. I just need a set to build the confidence...and subsequently the swing.... to do so consistently. After finally locating a driving range where I could try them side by side, I fell in love the Burner 09s, purchased them in mid-August and have never looked back.

I literally cannot feel contact with the ball through the swing! Proper divot location, straight as an arrow and AT LEAST 10-15 yards further than my old Pings every time!~

My strongest suggestion for you would be to try whatever clubs at the range before you buy. Screens are good for club head speed and general distance but the mats just simply do a golf swing justice. For Taylormade clubs, go to Buckingham and take both sets to their range...no charge. They'll swap heads and shafts for you until you find exactly the one that works for you.

Burner 09s for me....
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_woods View Post
    I was between the Tour Burners and the Titleist AP1. Both are very similar at address. I found that the AP1's were a bit longer and a tad more forgiving than the Tour Burners, while maintaining a substantial amount of feel.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    At the moment I am a 15.6 and am playing tour burners with Project X 5.5s in them, and I love the combination.
    I did try the Burner irons when TM had their demo day at GT, and what I can tell you is the following:

While you may be torn between set A and B, picking the right shaft is as important if not more. I tried the Burner 09s with several different shafts and they felt totally different each time. Curiously I much preferred the PX shafts when at the demo. And the fitter agreed too. The other shafts felt terrible and I would not have bought a set of burner 09s if I was in the market, had other shafts been the ones I tried only.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Thread Information