CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood lastplace is on a distinguished road

golf swing analysis

I am looking at buying a swing analysis software that you can film your swing and then take a look at angles and compare it versus a tour player. Does anyone have a program they might recommend?

1 Iron kekchose12 is on a distinguished road
    I am using V1 home and it does the job. It is free. For a small fee you get additional options like compare two swings etc...
    http://www.v1golfacademy.com/
    ________
    Honda GL500
    Last edited by kekchose12; 01-18-2011 at 10:39 AM.

3 Wood lastplace is on a distinguished road
    Thanks a lot. i'll give it a go. Much appreciated

3 Wood Dawg64 is on a distinguished road Dawg64's Avatar
    There is a free on line service called "Swing Academy". It allows for side-by-side comparisons and allows for others - if you wish to comment on your swing. You may want to check it out.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg64 View Post
    There is a free on line service called "Swing Academy". It allows for side-by-side comparisons and allows for others - if you wish to comment on your swing. You may want to check it out.
    swing academy is awesome!

i started putting my swings on it, and it has a cool player that lets you slow things down, frame by frame, i can draw lines on the video, i love it.

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=5676
    You only get out of something what you put into it

i'm getting frustrated with my left (front) leg. i'm telling it to stay planted in the ground, but it seems to have a mind of its own. i lift my left foot subconsciously, pivot my foot while it's in the air, and do a balerina hop as i finish my swing. any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnAdVUiCTb4

i'm working on the video quality. sorry.

6 Iron Tullamore is on a distinguished road
    once again - great tunes!

Thanks MOAR!!!!

nothing like hitting a few under hydro lines - reminds me of the 1st hole at Hammond

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    No Kids

It looks like your arms are getting behind your body at the top of the swing. If you stop your swing at the top you will only see your left arm from your shoulder to your elbow from the face on view. Your right arm and the rest of your left arm are behind your head. From the down the line view you can really see your right elbow get behind you body. It looks as though you are flexing you right bicept at the camera, it should be flexing more towards the ball. This action of your arms reduces the width of your backswing and puts your arms behind you and out of position. You need to try to not let you right elbow get behind your shirt seam and maintain your width. This should also help you keep your foot on the ground. To help you feel the way your arms should be working take your grip with or with out a club from a normanl start position and bend your right elbow to lift your hands as though you are taking a drink of water towards you right shoulder. Dont let you right arm bend past 90 degrees. Your right hand should be about 8-10 inches from your right shoulder, and you left arm should be still extended. Notice that you elbow didnt pull back behind your shirt seam. The way your arms are working now it is as if you are trying to elbow somebody that is standing behind you with your right elbow. The rest of the downswing is attempt at trying to recover from your incorrect backswing position and lead to your inconsistencies. Here are two links of tiger from face on and down the line that will give you a visual of what im talking about.

1.http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...26tbs%3Disch:1

2.http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...26tbs%3Disch:1

Wow talk about some crazy long links... hope they work. Hope this helps

goley, thanks a mill for the advice. i will try it out and we'll see the results on my next video. The pics of Tiger are a great illustration.

i tried to implement your suggestions today. my front leg felt better, but my right arm feels like it's going behind me still. i think the problem is my LEFT arm. i can never get it straight like in the tiger pictures. my left arm bends during the entire backswing. i'll keep working at it.

march 16 is the latest video:

http://www.leclocher.com/private/videos
    i hate when youtube disables my songs!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04llV6bstmA

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    To this novice eye, I'd forget about the left arm for now. You're focusing on the wrong thing. Here's my reason for saying so. You seem (I say "seem" because I am not very good at this - Lyle is, though) to be initiating the backswing with your hands, with the arms and then the shoulders and upper torso following. By contrast, for the majority of the good players the backswing is a one piece movement with the shoulders, arms and hands going back in one piece against an athletically bent and stable right leg. If you move the club back in that fashion, the left arm serves as a fixed (which need not be ramrod straight) lever on which you can depend to get the club back to the ball without manipulating your hands.

The following video makes the point much better than I can articulate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJPJh...eature=related What you'll notice is how the backswing is effected as a one piece movement.

You might also want to look at Lee Trevino's one piece takeaway in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eqhou3ZAn0 Very impressive. By the way, the first person you see at the beginning is obviously not Lee.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mpare; 03-17-2010 at 07:55 AM.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

i'll take a look when i get home. thanks mpare.

hey no kids - i hope i don't sound out of line - take some lessons - a one on one would be the way to go

i know i need lessons. 1 on 1. i plan to see warren grant again soon. my swing feels and looks better than before but i have no control of the ball. i'm shanking and skulling balls when i take a full swing. i might be thinking about too many things and have not practiced enough to develop the muscle memory needed to go into autopilot during my swing. i've watched too much david leadbetter videos, and i think i have a case of Lead-poisoning.

i think i'm in the zone. oh yaaaaaa,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98npp5bshaQ

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    That swing is looking a lot better than the earlier video. Keep working on the one piece action going back. It's improving tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    FWIW:

Your setup position is very good. I would though, like to see the top of your left arm from that down the line view. Softening or slightly bending the right elbow and tucking the right shoulder under just a little, helps to put ensure a square setup and a submissive right shoulder/arm/hand.

Your top of the backswing position is very good. Your left arm coincides with your turned shoulders, your right forearm is more vertical than the plane of your back, the club face is square and the back of your left wrist is flat, all excellent. What I do see is that to get there, you take the club back a little too much on the inside. When one is too much on the inside, there is a natural move to the outside to correct this. In your case, you come over the top, (not necessarily outside in) and while I cannot determine your club face position, my guess is that most of your shots curve left to right. Club face angle has a greater influence on initial ball flight than club head path.

A simple exercise to help get you started down correctly when you go to the dome is to place a ball in the middle of the hitting mat, between the two holes meant for the rubber tee. About 10" on the inside edge of the mat, is another hole for a tee. As you swing down, try to have your club head pass over this hole on its way to the ball. Record a couple of practice swings doing this and you will see a beautiful drop motion of your hands/arms to the inside. You can also see the move here:
    http://www.golfbetterproductions.com/the-swing.asp Check the 3rd pic from the down the line view. This is what the hands/arms should look like.

The best "drill," once you understand what the arms should do at the transition, is to stand in front of a mirror, go to the top of your back swing and VERY, VERY SLOWLY, move your hands BACK toward the mirror until your right elbow touches your right hip. Repeat 10,000 times and you'll never forget it.

You made significant progress just in the few days from the shots under the towers to the time at the 19th Tee.

Thanks mPare.

BC_Mist, how much do you charge for lessons? that's some solid analysis.
    you are correct about the left/right tendency of my shots. i'll work on your suggestion to take the club inside less, and also i'll do the right elbow drill, 10,000 times!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Thanks mPare.

BC_Mist, how much do you charge for lessons? that's some solid analysis.
    you are correct about the left/right tendency of my shots. i'll work on your suggestion to take the club inside less, and also i'll do the right elbow drill, 10,000 times!
    My "lessons" are free, but for my opinions, I charge are the same as Lead poisoning. Good name, BTW.

I am serious about your recording some practice swings bringing the club head own over that inside mark on the mat. Once you see how good the move looks and find a feel to consistently achieve it, you will be pleased with the results. But like any change/adjustment, it takes a lot of correct repetitions, at least half without a ball, for it to become a habit.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Best way to stop "coming over the top?" Start the downswing with a small hip turn, followed by the chest/arms/club. When you do that, you are "unscrewing" and everything moves well.

Rehearsals are the best way to achieve this. The more you do something, the more it becomes habit.

swing academy

i posted my march 20th swings on swingacademy.com and some stranger (or maybe site admin/teacher) did a free analysis of my swing. he stopped my swing at 10 different intervals and made a comment while drawing a red line through the picture. i thought it would be cool to share with you:

-----------------

Pretty good setup here. Hard to tell if the ball is a bit too far back in your stance.

You have very much a 1 piece takeaway, however the club is extremely closed at this point, and is on it way behind you. The reason the clubface is close so much is because you have almost zero wrist hinge at this point.

You still have very little wrist hinge at this point.

Your hands are very much behind you at this point...

Your shoulders esstentially have stopped rotating at this point, yet your arms continue up. this is known as getting out of sync.

Here's the top of your swing, and now you'll "throw" your hands forward instead of dropping them down. That's an over the top move...

And here is where your entire upper body somewhat lunges at the ball and to the left. This throws the swing plane over so it's rotated to the left of target. From here you'll have no option but to come over the plane and cut across the ball. Your misses are probably pulls, and pull slices, unless you keep the clubface wide open (it's impossible to tell the club orientation here since the top of the video is cut off).

The swing plane is coming over so much so that you lose leverage and your right foot nearly comes completely off of the ground.

that right foot has really slid back at this point!

Since I can't see the top of the swing, I can't tell whether or not you crossed the line at the top. While your takeaway needs some work, I think the major problem is that your downswing is at best started with your shoulders and hips at the same time. You need to start the downswing with your hips. A simple swing thought is to "leave your right shoulder behind you" as you start your hips.In addition to that, once your shoulders start turning, your head goes with it for quite some time. That's the lunge that you experience and you then get out of balance. Another simple thought is that once your shoulder touches your chin on the backswing, you then want to separate the two. You really need to keep your head behind the ball throughout impact.

i was bored last night, put some music on the analysis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nxLA3qQs8s

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Best way to stop "coming over the top?" Start the downswing with a small hip turn, followed by the chest/arms/club. When you do that, you are "unscrewing" and everything moves well.

Rehearsals are the best way to achieve this. The more you do something, the more it becomes habit.
    i practiced many things yesterday at the driving range, the wrist movement (no more 1piece takeaway), keeping the club and my right elbow from going too far back, getting in sync, and turning my hips on the downswing. video coming soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGic9cIPwdQ

losing distance on my shots, but accuracy is coming along nicely.
    NEED MOAR PRACTICE!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

The best "drill," once you understand what the arms should do at the transition, is to stand in front of a mirror, go to the top of your back swing and VERY, VERY SLOWLY, move your hands BACK toward the mirror until your right elbow touches your right hip. Repeat 10,000 times and you'll never forget it.
    When doing this drill, do you shift your weight or do you stay still while dropping your elbow to your right hip?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Thread Information