100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar

Best Component Drivers?

I'm considering purchasing a new non-OEM driver. I'm of the belief that the products from the better component companies are less expensive and at least as good as the OEM (Titleist, Taylor Made, etc.) models. However, I'm finding it very difficult to decide which component company to go with. I was hoping some of you could provide feedback based on your experience with component driver models. I'm about a 10-handicap and have a driver swingspeed of about 100mph. I also hit the ball quite low so I'll likely be going with a 12 or maybe even 14 degree loft.

Some of the options I'm considering:

KZG - Gemini or SP700

Wishon - 915

Bang - Too many models to list!

SMT - Also too many models!

Others???

mjf

PS: Hopefully I posted this in the correct forum! There isn't really an appropriate forum for component clubs.

Driver Happy Gilmore is on a distinguished road Happy Gilmore's Avatar
    Hi mjf,

Personally I like SMT. Lifetime warranty, good selection of heads and lofts, and top quality in my opinion.

I have the SMT Carnoustie 300cc, one of the first heads make by SMT. I am Very happy with the quality of the head, the paint finish and the performance as well.

I have looked at some BANG components as well as heads available from The GolfWorks here in Ottawa, and they look nice too.

Good luck.
    Happy

"Play every shot so that the next one will be the easiest that you can give yourself." - Billy Casper

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I'm liking my Bang Driver

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

Snake Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    I'm considering purchasing a new non-OEM driver. I'm of the belief that the products from the better component companies are less expensive and at least as good as the OEM (Titleist, Taylor Made, etc.) models. However, I'm finding it very difficult to decide which component company to go with. I was hoping some of you could provide feedback based on your experience with component driver models. I'm about a 10-handicap and have a driver swingspeed of about 100mph. I also hit the ball quite low so I'll likely be going with a 12 or maybe even 14 degree loft.

Some of the options I'm considering:

KZG - Gemini or SP700

Wishon - 915

Bang - Too many models to list!

SMT - Also too many models!

Others???

mjf

PS: Hopefully I posted this in the correct forum! There isn't really an appropriate forum for component clubs.

Snake Eyes has got some great products. Check at www.golfsmith.com under clubmakind

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I hit it relatively straight most of the time but my bad shots tend to be draws that are verging on hooks. Of course, I hit the occasional slice as well!

mjf

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Are you a slicer or a hooker of the ball?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Smt
    Smt
    Smt

Putter owl-creek is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Here's another one

Don't forget to look at the latest and one of the best "Alpha". A very solid 2 piece head that is sweeping the long drive group.

Gap Wedge SMT is on a distinguished road
    thanks guys... I appreciate the compliments.

Mike

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by owl-creek
    Don't forget to look at the latest and one of the best "Alpha". A very solid 2 piece head that is sweeping the long drive group.
    OREGON!!!!

Ain't you a long way from home.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Good to see you on this forum. All the 455DB's are doing great at our club.

JUST LOVE THAT CLUB

Thank you so much for the welcome...

The Spectrum is doing GREAT so far this year, in fact lots of TV Time , today on the Nationwide Tour with Victor Schwamkrug.

Have a great rest of the summer.

Mike

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMT
    Thank you so much for the welcome...

The Spectrum is doing GREAT so far this year, in fact lots of TV Time , today on the Nationwide Tour with Victor Schwamkrug.

Have a great rest of the summer.

Mike
    Gotta like that. Just one of the guys. Great customer service too. I don't expect we'll see the likes of Taylor Made or Titleist dropping in to say Hi.

BTW if you get a chance to see Victor on TV, he flat out BOMBS it off the tee.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

hahahahaha Thanks... I look forward to being as helpful as ossible on your forum.

Have a nice weekend.

Mike

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    hahahahaha Thanks... I look forward to being as helpful as ossible on your forum. Have a nice weekend. Mike
    Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

While most golfers probably still believe that OEM drivers are better, it is apparent that from your SMT forum, FGI, GEA, that an increasing number of golfers are becoming aware of the benefits of your line of drivers.

While just a hobbyist clubmaker, I have now sold 22 SMT drivers this year, mostly Deep Bores and have 4 more on the way. Being cast aside are mostly Titleists, Callaways, Nikes and Taylormades. Feedback from my "customers" indicates 4 things:
    1. some increase in distance on-centre hits, 2. significant increase in distance on off-centre hits, particulary off the toe end, 3. tremendous increase in overall accuracy, 4. an outstanding feel/sound, particularly the Deep Bore.

I have settled with a Deep Bore/Accuflex VS339 combination for myself, but also have a blue Nemy and a Spectrum with SK Fiber Lite Revolution shafts. I am probably 1.5 to 2 clubs longer with my 7* Deep Bore, than any previous, non SMT driver.

By following your posts on the other forums, local folks will soon learn just how much you stand by your products, about the lifetime warranty and the tremendous support and help that you personally give all of your customers.

It wil be interesting to see what you come up with next.

BC..

22 DRIVERS !!!

Funny, that is EXACTLY how many I sold....

Really though... I cannot explain how much this post means to me...

You know, this business, while brutally time consuming, is something that I really love! It sure makes it easy to get to work everyday when your sons initials hang above the doorway.

I know that I spend virtually every single waking hour of every day making sure that I do it right. Golf is a great game, and golfers... a different breed. The emails that I receive evry single day that have now numbered well into the thousands, makes me quite aware that all the thoughts and plannig and trips overseas are helping things to move in the right direction.

Thanks again to everyone for their support, I will continue to do everything necessary to make sure that SMT is always at the top of the game.

Thanks again, BC, for the very nice email and the support, I promise not to let you down.

Mike

Lob Wedge Keating is on a distinguished road
    For what it's worth, Mike, your attitude, and quick responses to e-mails, and your willingness to help out, by joining this forum, has pretty much made up my mind that when I get to buying a higher end driver (I'm just a newbie), it will be a SMT.
    Cheers.

Paul

Really though... I cannot explain how much this post means to me...

You know, this business, while brutally time consuming, is something that I really love! It sure makes it easy to get to work everyday when your sons initials hang above the doorway.

Thanks Paul,

I love my job and I absolutely love the game of golf.

One of the reasons that I got into clubmaking , 27 years ago was that I knew that I could help people with their games.

I like to think that this fire is still inside of me.

SMT is a huge success due to its ever increaasing customer base.... The pleasant emails, the letters of praise... all recharge my batteries more than anyone can imagine.

For that, I have to thank all of you!!!

If there is ever anything that you need help with or have a question about, please ask.

I will give it to you straight.

I will give it to you without the fluff.

Sometimes it might not be pleasant to hear... hahaha

Thank again Paul, for alerting me to this forum and for your kind words.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their summer.

Mike

Thread Information