+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Stonebridge & Club Link - Just a rumour.

As you know this rumour has been around for 3 years (it seems like it's been around before they even opened).

As you can imagine it gets a little frustrating for all involved at Stonebridge (staff and customers) regarding this persistent rumour. A year or so ago I posted saying that I was informed by Peter Hale, the GM at Stonebridge, that there was no truth to the ClubLink rumour. It would seem that we need to do the same again.

I would appreciate it if people would refrain from posting unconfirmed assumptions. For example, one comment from Stonebridge was as follows...

While I am all for free speech one particular reply from 4JAG borders on yellow or tabloid journalism. He states and I quote, "given the relationship that ClubLink has with Monarch". I would like to know what relationship he is referring to. I've been with Monarch since 1988 (well before ClubLink was started) and there has never been a "relationship"
    With respect to the Stonebridge situation; yes ClubLink did inquire in April 2001 if there was any interest from Monarch in selling and were told in no uncertain terms they were not interested. There has been no contact since 2001 and their position has not changed, nor will it change next year when the clubhouse is built.

I wonder how long it will be before this rumour surfaces yet again. My guess would be spring 2005

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    As you know this rumour has been around for 3 years (it seems like it's been around before they even opened).

As you can imagine it gets a little frustrating for all involved at Stonebridge (staff and customers) regarding this persistent rumour. A year or so ago I posted saying that I was informed by Peter Hale, the GM at Stonebridge, that there was no truth to the ClubLink rumour. It would seem that we need to do the same again.

I would appreciate it if people would refrain from posting unconfirmed assumptions. For example, one comment from Stonebridge was as follows...

With respect to the Stonebridge situation; yes ClubLink did inquire in April 2001 if there was any interest from Monarch in selling and were told in no uncertain terms they were not interested. There has been no contact since 2001 and their position has not changed, nor will it change next year when the clubhouse is built.

I wonder how long it will be before this rumour surfaces yet again. My guess would be spring 2005

O.k., hold the phone here... Tabloid journalism? Now that is laughable. It's called open, honest dialog on a public forum.

Perhaps Mr. Hale, the long time employee of Monarch, should drive over to Monarch's Country Club Estates and check out Clublink's Kanata Golf and Country Club while he is there.

Explain to me please why this rumour is frustrating to the management and staff at Stonebridge? It's not as if people are saying negative things about Stonebridge. For example, no one is suggesting that the management at Stonebridge is anal or anything. BTW, isn't fielding enquires about your golf course part of the job description for a general manager?

Having people interested in your course and engaged in a positive discussion on a public forum is a good thing - I'm not sure why Mr. Hale thinks it is not.

Dan I know this is your forum but asking people to stop sharing "unconfirmed assumptions" is going a bit far especially when the "assumption" is related to local golf and is nothing critcal, demeaning, insulting or inflamatory in any way.

p.s. can I share my confirmed assumption about the GM of Stonebridge?
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar

Eagle Creek???

So I guess since it's not Stonebridge, then I guess it will be Eagle Creek as the new course in the Ottawa area added to Clublink? People said it was either EC or Stonebridge...

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dasnutz
    So I guess since it's not Stonebridge, then I guess it will be Eagle Creek as the new course in the Ottawa area added to Clublink? People said it was either EC or Stonebridge...
    Careful dasnutz, we may get Mr. Lacasse's panties in a knot next with these unconfirmed assumptions.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

4jag Please settle down. Do not start jumping on other posts where people are openly saying things like "So I guess "

I am sure that a rumor about a change of ownership / management can indeed be disruptive to business. I remember a lot of tension among the members of Emerald Links when there was talk of it's "impending" sale to Club Link. Public players fearing the loss of access to a great course would certainly have something to say when they go into the proshop. It is also a fact that when ownership of a business changes hands, people lose jobs.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I tend to agree with 4jag. This forum and every other forum for that matter is filled with speculation and unconfirmed rumours. There has never been...as far as I know...any demeaning, insulting or inflamatory comments made which I understand could frustrate the staff or GM.

Why would discussions made in an open forum upset the staff and GM at Stonebridge is something I do not understand. In my eyes, it is publicity...good publicity.

We were just informing you all that the rumor isn't true.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    As someone who can't afford to join Clublink at this point in time, I know I feel a bit of resentment towards them. Everything was fine when Le Dome and Greyhawk were open to daily greens fee players, but there's a certain bad taste in my mouth because they've now shut me out.

The rumours surrounding Stonebridge (thankfully dispelled) were pissing me off, and making me think that soon all the best courses in Ottawa will be closed to me.

There's nothing wrong with floating a rumour, but when it's done over and over again, I can Dan's point.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

By the way, the fact that Eagle Creek is for sale is not a rumor http://www.ottawagolf.com/forum/show...ht=eagle+creek

Big_duck

The Rumour Mill doesn't catch everything

Quote:

An ownership change in 2004 will bring a comprehensive course redevelopment program to Cedarhill. Several new holes are planned for opening as early as 2005, with the new course design and reconfiguration being completed and overseen by a noted Canadian golf course architect. The staging of the redevelopment will ensure minimal to no disruption in course play.

Source: http://www.cedarhillgolf.com/intro.asp

I guess they are going to fix 11,12,13.

Big Duffer

Talking

I'm just glad to hear we aren't losing stonebridge.. thanks for clearing the air

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    Quote:

An ownership change in 2004 will bring a comprehensive course redevelopment program to Cedarhill. Several new holes are planned for opening as early as 2005, with the new course design and reconfiguration being completed and overseen by a noted Canadian golf course architect. The staging of the redevelopment will ensure minimal to no disruption in course play.

Source: http://www.cedarhillgolf.com/intro.asp

I guess they are going to fix 11,12,13.

Interesting find... do you think that could be the clublink purchase that is being rumoured? Although I have never played the course, the location of Cedarhill would be ideal for me. Are 11,12,13 that bad? Looks like a pretty short course but what are the conditions like?

The deal for Cedarhill is not related to Club Link. A management group moved in late last year, and will continue to manage it once the deal is closed. My understanding is that it will be over very soon. Over a year of preparation has gone into this sale and I don't see it failing. It may already be done.

One of the proposed course changes outlined to me by the new manager was to make #1 a par 5 with the tee much closer to the clubhouse. It would be a dogleg left, driving over what is now the green for #2 which would be shortened to a par 4. That was the only one he mentioned.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    One of the proposed course changes outlined to me by the new manager was to make #1 a par 5 with the tee much closer to the clubhouse. It would be a dogleg left, driving over what is now the green for #2 which would be shortened to a par 4. That was the only one he mentioned.
    I think you mean the green for #3. That would be a shame if they changed it - I always liked the tee off from the top of the hill to start the round there.

I agree with Big_Duck that 11, 12 and 13 definately need fixing - and not just because they are short. The tee-off positions for 11 and 13 are downright dangerous. The tee shot for #11 runs alongside a roadway that you can't see clearly from the tee box, and the tee shot for #13 has a cart path with a blind entance running directly in front of it!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I think you mean the green for #3.
    Yup. My mistake.

I think the tee will still be elevated, on the parking lot level as it is now and the landing area would be somewhere near where the #3 green is. Not sure, he did not draw any maps for me

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    By the way, the fact that Eagle Creek is for sale is not a rumor http://www.ottawagolf.com/forum/show...ht=eagle+creek
    I am under the impression that Eagle Creek is no longer for sale, Mr. Lacasse is quite happy at the moment (as of last Thursday).

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    I am under the impression that Eagle Creek is no longer for sale, Mr. Lacasse is quite happy at the moment (as of last Thursday).
    Because winter is over, spring has sprung and he's probably booked fairly regularly everyday. He'll be ready to sell again in the fall.

guyinottawa

Funny!

Dan, I'm afraid your message board wouldn't be in business if we refrained from speaking our mind and posting comments to get information.

Speak your mind (politely)
    Post your comments
    If you are guessing, say so.
    If you are posting "breaking news" about a local golf business, please check your facts first.
    Let's not get free speach mixed up with spreading misinformation.

Try the other shoe on. How would it be if you owned a golf shop that was rumoured to be going out of business when it wasn't.
    Customers would loose confidence that they could exchange or return items.
    They may not even go by thinking you were gone.
    Employees look for other work because they too feel thier days are numbered.
    Hard to get anyone to apply for a job when they think you will be gone soon.
    You are constantly answering the same questions day after day, trying to cork the misinformation.

The above is a bit exagerated. I doubt this forum would have that much impact, but I think you get my point. I would get frustrated wouldn't you?

4 Iron DewDuster is on a distinguished road
    An indirect comment, even if there really was a pending deal for Stonebridge with Clublink, do you think the Stonebridge GM's response would be any different?

I'm not saying that the rumours are true or that unsubstantiated rumours should not be qualified as such, but if a deal was going to happen, the GM would not be able to confirm them anyways and he'd have to deny them.

Remember Clublink is a public company and it would be a material transaction. Plus, you are also assuming that the Monarch execs would inform the current GM. You would think they would but also a pretty good chance that Clublink would want to parachute their own management in there. Your comments about trying to keep staff working there in an uncertain environment holds true for the GM as well.

So if there really is a Clublink transaction in the works, the Stonebridge GM's comments have about as much credibility as anyone else on this board does.

Can certainly see where this would be frustrating for the Stonebridge folks though.

The big ClubLink cover-up? Stonegate???

This is one rumour that will never die :shake

AndreM
    Actually at the Montreal golf show this spring following a Clublink presentation, the question was asked to a Clublink VP who was in the Q & A -

Is Clublink buying Stonebridge in Ottawa ?

The response was something like, Clublink is looking to further expand it's presence in Ottawa and we do see Stonebridge as a good fit. We are currently in disucssions with a couple organizations in the Ottawa area including Stonebridge. Stonebridge, however, is an incomplete property (maybe clubhouse ?).

Thread Information