CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Should Mike Vick be reinstated for this season after 2 years on prison?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 78.00%
  • No

11 22.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mike Vick Poll

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

For once, I agree with sensfan63.
    Hey i thought we agreed on something about 6 months ago

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Interesting development. Favre is out in Minnesota. Could Vick be wearing purple and gold by the end of the week?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Interesting development. Favre is out in Minnesota. Could Vick be wearing purple and gold by the end of the week?
    Well Tony Dungy is the mentor of Vick. Dungy played at the University of Minnesota and was an assistant coach for the Vikings under Dennis Green for 4 years. Could he guide Vick toward the Vikings...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Maybe, but I doubt it. They traded for Rosenfels in the offseason and still have Jackson, who is terrible, but he's still played a lot more than Vick lately. Plus they dumped Moss because he was a bad citizen, that whole party boat thing, not sure they have the stomach for Vick.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    The obvious fit is the chicago bears. I know they have Cutler now, but I don't think Vick is going to sign as a starting QB.
    Andrew

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Ya, 'cause prima donna Cutler, who flipped out because Coach wanted Cassel and left town, would love to have a higher profile player then himself on the team.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Ya, 'cause prima donna Cutler, who flipped out because Coach wanted Cassel and left town, would love to have a higher profile player then himself on the team.
    I meant to say (via edit) that it would almost certainly draw all the attention of the media away from Cutler, and Vick wouldn't even be available until when week 5? I think Vick is going to surprise some people how good he's going to be this season.
    Andrew

After a real training camp, he'll be okay. Timing is gonna have to be the main thing to work on.

Nobody thinks that Belichick will bring him in for the Patriots. He has brought guys before and did a great job controlling them.

Not sure why Vick would go there to play back-up but...

He won't start right away, at least I can't imagine him starting. If he went to New England (it would break my heart seeing him with the evil empire), he'd take about 5-10 snaps a game which would be great for Tom's knees.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    just as a reminder: dogs ≠ humans
    You're right. My dog got a MRI in 48 hours. You try getting that kind of service. (in Canada)

On the topic on hand, even though I cannot forgive Vick for his actions, he's done his time so should be able to play. Ticket boycotts and boos will be rampant where ever he plays, however, so buyer beware.

The protests will vanish after a few weeks. The boos will only be in visiting stadiums, and well, they always boo the oponent anyway.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    He is gonna suck so bad... he is gonna be slow, out of shape... mentally won't be there either. To take that much time off in THAT sport is difficult to do. its game over for him, anyone who takes him will be pissing money away
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    He is gonna suck so bad... he is gonna be slow, out of shape... mentally won't be there either. To take that much time off in THAT sport is difficult to do. its game over for him, anyone who takes him will be pissing money away
    I don't agree at all. I think a team, as has been talked about, that has an established quarterback will take a chance on him. Somewhere like New England, Pittsburgh or even New Orleans where the #1 will not feel the heat from Vick.

I think he signs a 1 or 2 year contract to get the rust off, get his legs back as a 3rd or even 4th string and sees how he adjusts.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    His timing will be off, but his timing has always been off. Physically, He's going to be in great shape. He's had 2 years in the can to do nothing but work out. If tv and movies have taught me anything, its that everybody gets out of prison in fantastic shape (unless they're mobsters, in which case they get out of prison rich, comfortable, and full of delicious delicious food). I would love to see him on a team that uses the wildcat offence...he could be scary effective playing a few snaps a game out of that formation.

On another note, does anybody else feel it's completely out of whack the way Vick has been villainised for his actions, but there has been no uproar about Stallworth, who killed a human being while driving drunk? Tells you something about society's priorities.

His timing will be off, but his timing has always been off. Physically, He's going to be in great shape. He's had 2 years in the can to do nothing but work out. If tv and movies have taught me anything, its that everybody gets out of prison in fantastic shape (unless they're mobsters, in which case they get out of prison rich, comfortable, and full of delicious delicious food). I would love to see him on a team that uses the wildcat offence...he could be scary effective playing a few snaps a game out of that formation.

On another note, does anybody else feel it's completely out of whack the way Vick has been villainised for his actions, but there has been no uproar about Stallworth, who killed a human being while driving drunk? Tells you something about society's priorities.
    To your first point, he may have been able to work out but he wasn't getting the same nutrition he would normally have access too. That's a big deal. Also, the speed issue is a real one. There is a monumental adjustment even for the best college players coming into the NFL. I realize he's been in the NFL for a long time, but two years out will mean a big adjustment coming back.

I get your second point, but part of the difference might be that Stallworth accepted responsibility for his actions immediately. He has gone out of his way to accept guilt and try to make things as right as they could be after what happened. Both with the family of the victim and with dealing with the charges against him. He absolutely should not have been drunk and speeding, but the poor guy he ran down was also jaywalking. It was an accident, most likely preventable if he wasn't drinking and driving, but he didn't set out to do it on purpose. People can probably imagine a scenario where that might happen to themselves. That doesn't excuse him, it doesn't even minutely excuse him, but it certainly makes him slightly more sympathetic.

Vick, on the other hand, engaged in this torture and killing of dogs for sport and personal amusement. That's sick. He also lied about it and evaded accepting guilt for as long as he could. It seems like he's turned the corner on that now, but people are a bit more suspicious because of how he acted initially, and because of the difference in the 'why' of what he did compared to Stallworth.

3 Wood thematt is on a distinguished road thematt's Avatar
    I was just about to write the same thing. Stallworth was a one time accident, while Vick purposefully and willfully did what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I get your second point, but part of the difference might be that Stallworth accepted responsibility for his actions immediately. He has gone out of his way to accept guilt and try to make things as right as they could be after what happened. Both with the family of the victim and with dealing with the charges against him. He absolutely should not have been drunk and speeding, but the poor guy he ran down was also jaywalking. It was an accident, most likely preventable if he wasn't drinking and driving, but he didn't set out to do it on purpose. People can probably imagine a scenario where that might happen to themselves. That doesn't excuse him, it doesn't even minutely excuse him, but it certainly makes him slightly more sympathetic.

Vick, on the other hand, engaged in this torture and killing of dogs for sport and personal amusement. That's sick. He also lied about it and evaded accepting guilt for as long as he could. It seems like he's turned the corner on that now, but people are a bit more suspicious because of how he acted initially, and because of the difference in the 'why' of what he did compared to Stallworth.
    While I'd like to play better, I have zero interest in practicing.

Getting behind the wheel while drunk is no accident. Period. Until that becomes the prevailing view in society, people will keep getting killed by drunk drivers. Until we ostracize those who do it, it will keep happening.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Does anyone have any pics of vick since he got out of jail? i'd like to see what kind of shape he is in. Topless pics please
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Getting behind the wheel while drunk is no accident. Period. Until that becomes the prevailing view in society, people will keep getting killed by drunk drivers. Until we ostracize those who do it, it will keep happening.
    No one says it is or that he's any less culpable for his actions because it was an 'accident'. But there is a big difference between negligence and malice. You asked why Stallworth hasn't been villainised to the same degree as Vick, and it's the difference between unintentional and intentional harm.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Does anyone have any pics of vick since he got out of jail? i'd like to see what kind of shape he is in. Topless pics please
    It's not topless but...

Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    He just signed with the Eagles
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

That is one of the team that said they would never sign him...

Good move by the Eagles!

I'm a happy man, good for him! Philly fans are tougher then nails, no way they'll let the protesters get in their way.

So Donovan and Vick, Westbrook and McCoy, and DeSean Jackson. That's some punch right there!

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Philly fans are tougher then nails, no way they'll let the protesters get in their way.
    yeah thats for sure, only thing that matters is winning

True, winning is important to them but it's important to every fan base. Philly also loves the underdog (Rocky), so believe me when I say they'll support Vick. Mind you, he can still be cut before the season even starts, they have to see what he has in the tank. The deal he signed shows that there were indeed a few other teams interested in his services.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Stallworth kills a guy. Vick serves time for dog fighting. Who's worse? America somehow believes it's Vick.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Stallworth kills a guy. Vick serves time for dog fighting. Who's worse? America somehow believes it's Vick.
    At last we agree on something. (something pretty important, too....go figure).

On a football note, the more i think about it, the more I like this move. Initially i thought that Philly picking up Vick was a foolish move. Why bring in a guy like Vick who plays a similar style of game to McNabb. I was thinking he'd fit better somewhere with a pocket QB, where he could add a new dimension to the offense. But, I'm beginning to see the wisdom here. If you're playing New England, and they pull Brady to put Vick in for a snap, you know there's a good chance they're running a bootleg (or something of that nature). But, with Philly, you don't know what you're getting. They could just as easily run it with McNabb, so there's no guarantee that bringing Vick in means they're going to run it. Vick will get to work in a system that is already designed to take advantage of his legs, and will be able to step up if McNabb gets injured.

Now I just have to wait for Donny to rip apart my analysis.

No, you're pretty much bang on. I see Vick coming in for 3 to 5 plays a game once he's comfortable. He's got a stronger arm then McNabb, so they have to watch the pass every time he's in. He's probably got the 2nd strongest arm in the league after Russell, so 70 yards down field is dangerous territory. God, I still have nightmares about Vick's receivers in Atlanta dropping his passes all the time.

BTW, today was the first day since the whole saga that I've worn my Vick jersey in public! No one yelled at me. = )

Thread Information