CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road

Where are all the golfers?

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a lot fewer people on the golf course this year?

I played Anderson Links last Saturday at twilight. OK, it rained most of the day and the forecast called for thunderstorms later in the evening. But at 5:00 the sun was shining, I was home alone and it IS the weekend so I thought I would get in at least quick 9 as a walk-on single. I show up and there are 5 cars in the parking lot - 2 of them belong to the staff. The course was in great shape, and I played all 18 holes in 3 hours without getting a drop of rain on me. I was the only person on the golf course for the entire back 9!

Must have been the weather forecast, right? Friday night I play Outaouais for a twilight round. The weather is great, the course has been in fantastic shape since opening day (unlike most "premium" courses in the area), and they are charging a mere $25 for twilight in July with $10 for carts! At that price the course should be packed - but there is only a handful of people out there. I'm playing as a single and finish in 3 hours without catching anyone or seeing a group behind me. Hmmm, maybe its a twilight thing???

This morning I play Lombard Glen in Smiths Falls. I've played it before on a weekend morning and its usually fairly busy. Course is in very nice shape - greens are fantastic and almost as fast as Ouaouais! With conditions like this in July it should be packed! I'm playing as a single again, I don't see anyone until the 3rd hole and after I play through I don't catch up to anyone. There are a few groups on the course, but mostly twosomes and still lots of empty holes. Once again I finish in 3 hours - on a Sunday morning?!

Don't get me wrong - I like the pace of play! But somehow I don't think this trend is a good thing for golf in the long-term...

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    One word. Cottages.

Twilight on a weekend is not likely to be very busy anyway.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Stonebridge was really only half booked today. Pretty open from 11am on.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    They were all watching TW trying to make history.I wish Tom would have pulled it out.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    One word. Cottages.

Twilight on a weekend is not likely to be very busy anyway.
    Nah, the same people have cottages every year. I remember being paired up with a guy at Lombard Glen last year who was there because his cottage was nearby. Not to mention that I can never, ever remember being the ONLY person on a golf course before...

... which reminds me of another thing. I play most of my rounds as a single - always have - and I fully expect to be playing with a twosome or threesome on the first tee. This year I've not only booked most of my rounds as a single but played most of my rounds as a single too. That is very unusual on a weekend.

...meh, maybe its just me. But there seems to be a lot less traffic on the courses this year.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I think it's simple economics. People currently have less money to spend on luxuries like golf. Business will pick up as the economy does. Not to mention the fact that there are more and more new courses opening up, which means more tee times

7 Iron HTN2 is on a distinguished road HTN2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Nah, the same people have cottages every year. I remember being paired up with a guy at Lombard Glen last year who was there because his cottage was nearby. Not to mention that I can never, ever remember being the ONLY person on a golf course before...

... which reminds me of another thing. I play most of my rounds as a single - always have - and I fully expect to be playing with a twosome or threesome on the first tee. This year I've not only booked most of my rounds as a single but played most of my rounds as a single too. That is very unusual on a weekend.

...meh, maybe its just me. But there seems to be a lot less traffic on the courses this year.

Me too, I play the Kingston/Belleville area, and there are a LOT fewer people golfing this year. I've played as a single at least a half dozen rounds so far this year, very unusual.
    My buddy and I played a double last Saturday, we were FIRST OFF at 7:24 at Bay of Quinte on a SATURDAY ! Then, for our second round, we only had two *(very, very, very slow) foursomes ahead of us at Amherstview, which is usually packed, no matter the day...

Also, I've been able to pretty much walk on, no waiting, with no booked tee time at any course this summer, any time, tournaments have only interfered twice(out of about 20 or so rounds...).

I drove to Stonebridge, with no tee time, and was teeing off within 5 minutes of getting the attention of the girl behind the counter*(which actually took longer than the MAKING of said last minute tee time...).

Its the combination of weather and cost, obviously...Glen Lawrence has reduced its prices, fairly aggressively, and they are the only course I haven't been able to walk on to more than once because they were too busy. At the other end of the spectrum, Timber Ridge raised its "regular" green fees, and a few Saturdays ago when my buddy and I played two rounds there, we didn't see another golfer till about the 8th hole of our first round, and he was a single in a cart whipping through. They had a swatch of open tee times till almost 9am ! The weather wasn't great, but it wasn't all that bad either, our second round was totally solitary, it was great, no waiting for idiots taking 4.5 hours to play...

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    In addition to the economy, the weather has sucked big time this year. It's had a major effect on twilight play at the courses in my area this year.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I agree on the weather, but you would think that the nice days would be fully booked since people can't play on the crappy days.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I think both nice days this year actually were fully booked LOL!
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    There were 10 people at Pineview on Sat 11ish. 2 some ahead of us and 4 some behind us. It rain hard before and just after our round, so we got the right 4 hours to play. With the soggy ground, it felt like 6 hours round.

Caddy paulfourputt is on a distinguished road

Where are all the golfers?

I think they were all in front of me on Predator last night at 7:00 PM!

Seriously, it's the economy. Although we are pretty insulated in this city, even people not directly affected are cutting back and increasing their savings just in case. It's what happens in recessions.

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    I agree that we're insulated here in the Ottawa area.

I played in Newmarket on Saturday, and there was no one in front of us and only one group behind us. Didn't see another golf the entire round. I guess the economy is hitting Toronto's golf market a little harder than around here.

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Recession for sure (in my opinion). I also often book as a single and this year, just like a previous poster, I have played at least 8 rounds by myself. The bulk of them have been mid-morning on a Saturday or Sunday (a time that should be packed). I feel bad for the courses, but am loving the three hour rounds. Plus, I can sing off key the whole round and not have to worry about getting caught

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    I have never seen so many golf coupons and flyers sent to my house like this year.
    The economy definitely makes a big dent in the business and the cool weather has not helped either.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I agree there are less golfers overall---I think it's a combination of weather and economy. I also agree that we are not feeling the economy so much here in Ottawa-----but the one thing I have noticed is that the courses that are actually working with the problems are busy---ie---coupons AND doing improvements. Even thought I play 50% with EG I have no problem paying a decent $$$ for a decent course
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    I think it would help if the courses lift the restrictions on playing afternoon only for CG/EG and RM members. Personally, I can only play in weekend's morning and some during weekdays. With the membership, I really only have about 5-6 courses (within 20-30min drive) to choose from ....You can only play the same courses so many times Plus I have been rained out three times already this year.

Thread Information