100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Unhappy Anyone used a 'caddyrack' organizer?

This is my first post as a new member, hello to all! I recently purchased new irons (mizuno mx20) and have found that due to the softness of their forging they are showing dinged up signs already. In addition, they have graphite shafts. I don't want to buy a new bag as I have a good condition stand bag.

Does anyone have any experience with the caddyrack system, or another solution, to protect my investment?

On the caddyrack site they even claim that individual compartments are worse as it separates the heads and they all swing and hit eachother.
    Sorry for the length, I won't be so long winded in future. shark
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I've had good luck with the cheap neoprene iron covers they sell at Canadian tire. They go on and off very easily and fit into your pocket.
    I have not used the Caddyrack system but it looks like too much work for me.

Thumbs up Thanks for reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    I've had good luck with the cheap neoprene iron covers they sell at Canadian tire. They go on and off very easily and fit into your pocket.
    I have not used the Caddyrack system but it looks like too much work for me.
    Thanks for the first reply to my first post! I thought of buying those too, but the funny thing is that my mizuno's came with care instructions (I almost tossed them thinking what is there to know? clean them, don't throw them, right?) Well actually they said that unlike cast irons, the forged metal is soft and prone to rusting if allowed to stay wet. They actually specifically mentioned not to use 'iron covers' as if allowed to get damp they would acellerate rusting.
    Also it wouldnt help with my shaft protection I hope to do.

I hope I don't sound like i am shooting down your advice, I do appreciate anyone who takes the time to reply, as there may be some hint out there caddyrack, or otherwise, that I haven't thought of. Thank you proforged
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    Thanks for the first reply to my first post! I thought of buying those too, but the funny thing is that my mizuno's came with care instructions (I almost tossed them thinking what is there to know? clean them, don't throw them, right?) Well actually they said that unlike cast irons, the forged metal is soft and prone to rusting if allowed to stay wet. They actually specifically mentioned not to use 'iron covers' as if allowed to get damp they would acellerate rusting.
    Also it wouldnt help with my shaft protection I hope to do.

I hope I don't sound like i am shooting down your advice, I do appreciate anyone who takes the time to reply, as there may be some hint out there caddyrack, or otherwise, that I haven't thought of. Thank you proforged
    I had a caddyrack for a while years ago. Great for bags that only go in a drive cart. Pull carts and carrying caused the clubs to fall out all the time. As Proforged said it was too much work.

Good luck with finding things.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Heck no, I'm not offended, I'm just thrilled to be the one to respond to your first post!
    And might I say I'm darn impressed you read the owner's care manual. Those are fine sticks you have there BTW...
    Mizuno is correct in that iron covers and wet heads on irons can accelerate rusting on forged heads, and particularly on the Miz forgings, which are even softer than most.
    That said, I've used iron covers on my forged blades for years without a problem. There are a couple of things to can do if you want to use headcovers that can prevent rusting.
    First of all, clean your clubhead with a dry towel after every shot before putting the covers back on and putting the club back in the bag. This is a good idea even if you're not using covers.
    Secondly, when you're not using the clubs, take the covers off. Just put them back on before you head out on the course. Bag dings don't happen in the closet... Actually it's a good idea to put the covers on before putting the clubs in the car as bag dings do happen in the trunk....
    With the neoprene covers you can also periodically turn them inside out to dry or clean them if you have let some dirt get in there. This is particularly handy after a round in the rain.
    I used the covers on my Apex Pluses for the full season of 2002 and on my Mizuno MP-33s in 2003. Both are pretty soft forgings and both sets still looked almost like new at the end of the season.
    The downside to covers for me is the look, although I can usually get over it. Some people think iron covers make one look like a hacker. Plus you can't see those pretty forgings in the bag. I haven't been using the covers this year only because my new irons are so pretty I can't bear to cover them up. That may change if bag dings start popping up.
    The iron covers also do add a little protection to the shafts in that they separate the clubheads a bit more and thereby also help prevent the shafts from rubbing against each other.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Welcome to the forum

welcome to the forum....................

And I always thought bag dings on clubs added a little wisdom or patina to their appearance.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    welcome to the forum....................

And I always thought bag dings on clubs added a little wisdom or patina to their appearance.
    Or, you could always go with 14 separate bags and a pickup truck.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Talking thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Or, you could always go with 14 separate bags and a pickup truck.
    Thanks for bringing me down to earth lob wedge, anyone that quotes caddyshack (my signature pays tribute as well) is aok in my books.
    Thanks to everyone for their replies. In regards to the comment about caddyrack on a pull cart, thats my method so I'll take your advice on the covers proforged, as a fellow mizuno fan I will take your experience with your forgings, although i too will have a hard time covering up the mx20's, I haven't seen a shinier/prettier set of irons.
    shark out

"although i too will have a hard time covering up the mx20's, I haven't seen a shinier/prettier set of irons."

I feel your pain... the MX20s ARE gorgeous! You could always just put a cover on every second club. That will protect them from each other and you can see them... well, some of them.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    I want to ask the same question after purchasing a used BH Apex Plus set (which causes my driving much slower ..the car that is ...I will try the neoprene cover as suggested.

What about hitting these irons off the artificial turf ? I'm a beginner and spend most of my time there. The turf seems to scratch the head pretty good.

Heck no, I'm not offended, I'm just thrilled to be the one to respond to your first post!
    And might I say I'm darn impressed you read the owner's care manual. Those are fine sticks you have there BTW...
    Mizuno is correct in that iron covers and wet heads on irons can accelerate rusting on forged heads, and particularly on the Miz forgings, which are even softer than most.
    That said, I've used iron covers on my forged blades for years without a problem. There are a couple of things to can do if you want to use headcovers that can prevent rusting.
    First of all, clean your clubhead with a dry towel after every shot before putting the covers back on and putting the club back in the bag. This is a good idea even if you're not using covers.
    Secondly, when you're not using the clubs, take the covers off. Just put them back on before you head out on the course. Bag dings don't happen in the closet... Actually it's a good idea to put the covers on before putting the clubs in the car as bag dings do happen in the trunk....
    With the neoprene covers you can also periodically turn them inside out to dry or clean them if you have let some dirt get in there. This is particularly handy after a round in the rain.
    I used the covers on my Apex Pluses for the full season of 2002 and on my Mizuno MP-33s in 2003. Both are pretty soft forgings and both sets still looked almost like new at the end of the season.
    The downside to covers for me is the look, although I can usually get over it. Some people think iron covers make one look like a hacker. Plus you can't see those pretty forgings in the bag. I haven't been using the covers this year only because my new irons are so pretty I can't bear to cover them up. That may change if bag dings start popping up.
    The iron covers also do add a little protection to the shafts in that they separate the clubheads a bit more and thereby also help prevent the shafts from rubbing against each other.

"What about hitting these irons off the artificial turf ? I'm a beginner and spend most of my time there. The turf seems to scratch the head pretty good."

I personally would never hit my forged irons off of artificial turf. Over time the mats will wear the chrome off the sole much more quickly than grass. The other problem is that the mats are just carpeting over cement or wood and there is not much give to them. Too much hitting off of mats can alter the lofts and lies on forged irons. This also applies to softer metal cast irons such as Top Flite Tour Pro Grinds or Clevelands.
    I have a set of Hireko Acer XDS Pro2 irons (Callaway X-14 Pro copies) with the same shafts in them as my blades. I use these whenever I have to hit off mats - used them all winter at the Montreal Golf Dome - and for play when the ground is frozen in spots. They wear like iron compared to the forgings and because they have virtually no offset they set up pretty much like the blades, although they're a bit clunkier. I even play a few rounds with them now and then.
    If you want something forged to practice with off of mats I have a Feel Competitor Forged 5-iron on a DGS300 shaft you can have for free. It is a well travelled demo that was passed around from member to member on the Golf Equipment Afficionados Forum. Still looks great and is terrific for practice because who cares if you scuff it up? It would set up pretty similar to your Apex Plus 5-iron (nice clubs BTW).

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar

Alternative to CaddyRack

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    Does anyone have any experience with the caddyrack system, or another solution, to protect my investment?

On the caddyrack site they even claim that individual compartments are worse as it separates the heads and they all swing and hit eachother.
    Sorry for the length, I won't be so long winded in future. shark
    The Caddy Rack is not worth the money if you are hand carting or carrying the bag. I threw mine away to the garbage. There is another which uses clips to hold the clubs at the hosel level. It is branded "Golden Eagle". It does a better job. Unfortunately it requires a 9" diameter bag.
    As for the dents and schartches, I find that travel in the trunk of the car of unprotected heads and shafts is the primary culprit. I stuff a dry towel in around the head... cheaper and more convenient than the neoprene covers.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=3295]The Caddy Rack is not worth the money if you are hand carting or carrying the bag. I threw mine away to the garbage. There is another which uses clips to hold the clubs at the hosel level. It is branded "Golden Eagle". It does a better job. Unfortunately it requires a 9" diameter bag.

It's funny that you mention an accessory/system such as you described. I was thinking to myself, "hasn't anyone thought of something smaller and simpler that would hook onto the dividers or something like that".
    It sounds possibly like what you describe. I will keep an eye out. I shop golftown and they have hundreds of 'golden eagle' products, although i havent seen it yet. Only problem might be my bag, its a staff bag and i think 10" size, you said the bag needs to be 9". thanks for the advice

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    "What about hitting these irons off the artificial turf ? I'm a beginner and spend most of my time there. The turf seems to scratch the head pretty good."

I personally would never hit my forged irons off of artificial turf. Over time the mats will wear the chrome off the sole much more quickly than grass. The other problem is that the mats are just carpeting over cement or wood and there is not much give to them. Too much hitting off of mats can alter the lofts and lies on forged irons. This also applies to softer metal cast irons such as Top Flite Tour Pro Grinds or Clevelands.
    I have a set of Hireko Acer XDS Pro2 irons (Callaway X-14 Pro copies) with the same shafts in them as my blades. I use these whenever I have to hit off mats - used them all winter at the Montreal Golf Dome - and for play when the ground is frozen in spots. They wear like iron compared to the forgings and because they have virtually no offset they set up pretty much like the blades, although they're a bit clunkier. I even play a few rounds with them now and then.
    If you want something forged to practice with off of mats I have a Feel Competitor Forged 5-iron on a DGS300 shaft you can have for free. It is a well travelled demo that was passed around from member to member on the Golf Equipment Afficionados Forum. Still looks great and is terrific for practice because who cares if you scuff it up? It would set up pretty similar to your Apex Plus 5-iron (nice clubs BTW).
    Thanks for the advice and the offer of the used club..I have an old iron set that I will use to practice off mats and keep the forged iron on grass from now on.

Couldn't be happier with the Apex Plus. As many users in this forum have mentioned before, when you hit it good, it feels great otherwise it rings your hands as if you have hit a tree trunk. At least the feedback is good for my swing / grip correction.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    [QUOTE=sharkhark]
    Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    The Caddy Rack is not worth the money if you are hand carting or carrying the bag. I threw mine away to the garbage. There is another which uses clips to hold the clubs at the hosel level. It is branded "Golden Eagle". It does a better job. Unfortunately it requires a 9" diameter bag.

It's funny that you mention an accessory/system such as you described. I was thinking to myself, "hasn't anyone thought of something smaller and simpler that would hook onto the dividers or something like that".
    It sounds possibly like what you describe. I will keep an eye out. I shop golftown and they have hundreds of 'golden eagle' products, although i havent seen it yet. Only problem might be my bag, its a staff bag and i think 10" size, you said the bag needs to be 9". thanks for the advice
    There is a similar product available at GolfWorks on Industrial Road. I saw it behind the counter on Friday. The difference is that it is a flexible mount that clips to the side of the bag.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    There is a similar product available at GolfWorks on Industrial Road. I saw it behind the counter on Friday. The difference is that it is a flexible mount that clips to the side of the bag.
    Thanks i will check it out.

Putter freddie is on a distinguished road

Caddie Rack

I have a Caddie Rack and like it very much. I have forged MacGregor 1025 and the rack protects them well.

It does require a wide cart style bag. I disagree that it doesn't work well with a pull cart as I use mine the way and also on motorized carts. There is an adjustment to keep the clubs set into the black rack without jumping out.

I like it to find my specific clubs quickly and show me if I have left one behind.

5 Iron themob is on a distinguished road
    I have seen and used the Golden Eagle. Got it at a Play it again sports. 30$ or so.

The irons/wedges can clip in and so the shafts dont move. I think its good only for cart bags, but that seems to be what your after.

Putter caddyshackgolf is on a distinguished road
    The caddy rack thing. My dad had one knock off one of something and it was terrible and I know another guy who has one and it works fine. My dad has the neoprene covers and they work excently. I would deffiently wreck amend them. Also deffently don't have them in seperate comparts that are like plastice they will scratch the shafts.

My spelling is terrible.
    "Its not the clubs you own, Its how good you can use those clubs"

Golf for life because life is golf.

Thread Information