CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    3 Wood Rocket Man is on a distinguished road Rocket Man's Avatar

Single Digit Handicappers: How often do you go to the range?

I'm curious about how often the better players (single digit handicappers) practice at the range and how often you play in a week?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I'm curious about how often the better players (single digit handicappers) practice at the range and how often you play in a week?
    Excluding tournaments, I play 3 days per week, and practice at the range EACH of those times. Plus, I have a lengthy once a week practice session where I don't play, AND I hit balls every day at home into a net. Other than this - nothing.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I'm at the other end. Play once or twice a week, maybe hit the range one of those times and very, very seldom practice outside of that.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Play once or twice a week at max and hit the range once every two weeks or so.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Play one to three times a week. And the only time I hit a range is at the beginning of the season for a few sessions when I know courses will be opening soon.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Bouche
    Generally, on a normal year, every week.

This year, once at the start of the season....sad!

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Haven't got much golf in this year, maybe 6 or 7 rounds.... have yet to go to the range.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I never practice and haven't been to a range in at least 3 years.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I'd love to chime in, but my lack of practice has led my cap back up to 10.0.

lol @ Reid, you range machine you!
    Andrew

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I would say that I try to practice as often as I do play. I just started this last year and it has really helped to get into the single digits, especially last year when I got it down to 7.4. I haven't been able to practice as much this year and my cap has gone up two points...it's been very frustrating this year as my game has gone south since the beginning of the season.

7 Iron Ron Flanagan is on a distinguished road Ron Flanagan's Avatar

Practice Range

I play 2-3 times a week and practice at the range almost every day.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post

Range never helped my putting and that's where I lose my strokes. I am Brad Faxon's alter-ego. Tee to green I am about a 2, but on the green I'm a 20 or so. It all adds up to 8.1 as of this morning
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I play 5 to 7 times a week. Before every round I practice chips, pitches and putts for 30 to 40 minutes. If you want to save strokes that is the surest way to do it.

I might go to the range a couple times a month. If I'm not playing in a tournament or for money, then I always work on something during the round. Yes, I know, one shouldn't do that, but that is what I do. I realized earlier this year that I hated being on the range more than 30 minutes.

5 Wood par72 is on a distinguished road par72's Avatar
    Toronto, former and often back Ottawanian
    I only practice before rounds....practice session about an hour long before i play....never practice before a meaninful round or tournament but would rather play a practice round the hours of range time....i play twice a week this year...5 times a week last year and my handicap has ssuffered a stroke or two!
    Fairways and Greens!

5 Wood par72 is on a distinguished road par72's Avatar
    Toronto, former and often back Ottawanian
    I forgot...I also have a putting chipping green outside my home in toronto and at the cottage,.....whwnever i am there i spend a couple hours every night out there....if you CAN practice your short game as much as possible during practice time!
    Fairways and Greens!

Par Anth13 is on a distinguished road Anth13's Avatar
    Play 3 times a week, range once a week, and almost everyday into a net.

Putter puttputtputt is on a distinguished road puttputtputt's Avatar
    Play 2-3 times per week. I practice a lot at the beginning of the season or when I see my pro and we are trying to implement something. During the season I practice when I start to notice my swing going off the rails. However I putt every chance I get, including on the rug in the house.
    I miss, I miss, I miss, I make.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I play about 1.5 times per week on average but I'll go to the range a couple times a week during lunch. When I go to the range I hit all the clubs in the bag, and always at a target.

Without that I'd be in the double digits for sure.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I play about 1.5 times per week on average but I'll go to the range a couple times a week during lunch. When I go to the range I hit all the clubs in the bag, and always at a target.

Without that I'd be in the double digits for sure.
    I guess I technically shouldn't be commenting here due to my current index of 10.5 but I'm almost there. LOL !!

This could possibly be the reason why I'm not a single digit yet, but I hit the range about 3 times a month, but when I go it is a really good session around 3-4 hours. I usually go to Kevin Haime and I only hit a total of 3 large buckets ( all clubs - various shots ) with 1 hour of that dedicated to the short game area.

Tim

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    This could possibly be the reason why I'm not a single digit yet, but I hit the range about 3 times a month, but when I go it is a really good session around 3-4 hours. I usually go to Kevin Haime and I only hit a total of 3 large buckets ( all clubs - various shots ) with 1 hour of that dedicated to the short game area.
    My two cents, you are probably getting tired after the first bucket and if anything you might start to practice bad habits because you are tired.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    My two cents, you are probably getting tired after the first bucket and if anything you might start to practice bad habits because you are tired.

Actually I though about that when did it the first time and just ran through the buckets, but I actually take my time between shots, setup the line, set a target, look at my swing in the mirrors. Kinda why it takes me 3-4 hours. I'll even stop and eat my snacks between buckets. But I do see people who sit there and just bang away at the balls, kinda like 2 buckets in 30min - 45 min, this is definitely not what I do.

But yes I have thought about...

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I went to the range before my last game, and I think that was the only time this year. Ironically, I only went because I had put a different driver in the bag and wanted to see which way the drives were going to go before getting to the course, and when I walked my little bucket over to the the mats I was greeted with a sign that said "No Drivers or Fairway Woods. Irons Only".

Needless to say I was greeted with some surprise shots off the driver face.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    I never find time to go to the range. I am always golfing.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    by reading these posts its like people feel ashamed if they actually spent time practicing, its kinda funny to me!

I tend to practice the short game about 4-5 times a week (30min - 1hr each) and on the range about 1-3 times a week. The time on the range is spend 80% on shots from 120yrds and in, then 20% on clubs from 6-pw, with less than 5 balls a session on clubs longer than that.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I figure I better answer this while I still qualify. My game sucks right now and I won't be single digit for long at the rate I am going!

I try to hit the range to hit balls at least 3 times a week. I try to work on the swing issue du jour (or issues as it has been lately). If I can I like to hit a small bucket after a round as well, especially if there was something glaring on the course. Even if I am hitting the ball well I'll still go and hit a small bucket to play an imaginary game at some course in my head.

I also like to get 1-2 hours of short game practice in per week, but have not been doing that much lately. Jeez - wonder why my putting sucks right now.

I am not playing much however, barely once a week (and it shows).

One thing I find is I can't seem to keep all parts of my game in half decent shape at the same time. I divide my game into driving, ball striking, short game, and putting. At least one of these parts is substandard at any given time. It seems I do not have enough time to work on all aspects enough given my skill level (or lack thereof).
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Play 1 to 3 times a week and practice at the inside dome about 3 times a week during the season and about 4 times a week during the off season. I'll take my dad with me to tell me what distance and the curvature to hit for each shot. He's happy to get out of the house and enjoys telling everyone that he taught me everything he knows.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    by reading these posts its like people feel ashamed if they actually spent time practicing, its kinda funny to me!

I tend to practice the short game about 4-5 times a week (30min - 1hr each) and on the range about 1-3 times a week. The time on the range is spend 80% on shots from 120yrds and in, then 20% on clubs from 6-pw, with less than 5 balls a session on clubs longer than that.
    If I had the time to practice, I wouldn't feel ashamed. I practice as much as my schedule allows me to. Half the time, I show up at the tee and play like I did at Men's night last Thursday where I took a few warm up swings with my 9 iron to loosen up and then a couple of times with my driver to get the feel of it and then hit my drive. Bogied the first hole with a bad approach shot and a bad chip, but managed to shot 35 on the front for my nine holes.

It's a lifestyle choice. I work fulltime and have an active family life. I try to play 2-3 times per week (sometimes its loess, sometimes more) and if I can squeek in an extra half-hour before my round to hit a few balls, then great. I'm not ever going to be a pro, I just want to try and be consistent and feel good when I play the game.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Sand Wedge golfdude is on a distinguished road
    I play 3 to 4 times per week, practice 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time and take 1 day a week off.

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    Since my club doesn't have a range (Metcalfe) I hardly ever go to the range. I play about 4 rounds a week (only 1 or 2 of those 18 holes since I tee off after 5:00pm most days I play). I try to chip and or putt for 20min or so before each time I play, but find myself doing less of that this year. cap is 8.6. Something I am starting to do is track my stats and keep a journal of my rounds to see where I actually need to be practicing. Wtih so little time devoted to practice I want to make sure I focus my practice where it is needed the most.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post

I forced myself to hit a small bucket yesterday. It was the 1st time in a month I'd been to the range, which corresponds to the duration of my current slump. Front 9 36.
    Andrew

Thread Information