CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Jesus this thread is full of lameness.
    I'll have to stop posting. Sorry 'bout that.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I maintain it hasn't been the most exciting golf to watch, although I did let out a "Yeah!" when Watson holed the long putt on #16.

It is incredible however. I hope Tom can keep it up. It seems like he's in almost total control of his game.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    How about John Daly? When was the last time he made it to Sunday? At a major? Hope he plays well at Glen Abbey too.

Go Watson!! A win here would be the stuff Legends are made of.
    "Get your smile on!"

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    With Tiger not in playing. the rating will drop big time.
    It's not good for golf in these days.
    It's just not the same.
    I won't be watching...but will be playing!
    The broadcast serves it's costumers what they want and the majority want Tiger!
    Just a fact.
    Your user name and avatar says it all.

You are a "One Man Fan", not a true fan of televised golf.

I for one would not be watching the final round if Woods was in the lead going into Sunday.
    I can guarantee you that I know other golf fans who would not tune in either.

The game of golf does not revolve around Tiger Woods being in contention at every tournament.

Go ahead and play your round of golf. If Tom Watson goes on to win the 138th Open Championship then you will miss history being made.

Will that be good for golf? You bet it will and trust me no one will care that Woods missed the cut if Watson goes on to win. Or if any other player wins for that matter.

Funny, there was a lot of people in the stands around the course today. Along the fairways and around the greens. Seems to me not many of them cared that Woods was on the plane heading home. If they did, they would not have been there.

The ratings mean nothing to me. I am not buying advertising time on ABC or TSN. That is a fact of life. Millions of viewers will be glued to their TV's tomorrow, trust me.

Have a nice round, don't make too many bogies while worrying about the lack of Woods being there on Sunday
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    So sometime today I got a little tired of the repeating TSN commercials and switched to the HD ABC feed out of Detroit. They ran the most amazing add a couple of times.

"The NEW "ALL YOU CAN EAT SEAT!" ... CALL 313-262-2002"

Now this add is for the NFL Lions who are desparately in need of fans BUT REALLY does the average NFL Obese fan need such encouragement??

Oh yeah, it only covers: Burgers, Hot dogs, Fries, Chips & Salsa, Brats and Spicy Wings.

Good from hour before kick-off until one hour after.

Is it even possible to have enough emergency service personnel on hand????

Will they at least take the armrests of off the seats??

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Your user name and avatar says it all.

You are a "One Man Fan", not a true fan of televised golf.
    A bit harsh.

I for one would not be watching the final round if Woods was in the lead going into Sunday.
    A shame, as you might miss a step towards history. But I guess another milestone on what could be a historical march isn't significant enough. To each his own.

I can guarantee you that I know other golf fans who would not tune in either.
    Every golfer has his fans.

The game of golf does not revolve around Tiger Woods being in contention at every tournament.
    True, though he is a compelling story either way.

Go ahead and play your round of golf. If Tom Watson goes on to win the 138th Open Championship then you will miss history being made.
    Just as you would if you skip out on Tiger.

Will that be good for golf? You bet it will and trust me no one will care that Woods missed the cut if Watson goes on to win. Or if any other player wins for that matter.
    Of course it is good for golf. It shows that golf is a sport of a lifetime, to be enjoyed at every age, and shows us that our day in the sun may be just around the corner.

Many care that Woods missed the cut. Sweeping generalizations like this don't help your case. If Watson goes on to win, and Tiger missing the cut is irrelevant, because it is the last man standing that counts.

Funny, there was a lot of people in the stands around the course today. Along the fairways and around the greens. Seems to me not many of them cared that Woods was on the plane heading home. If they did, they would not have been there.
    Your point has been made.

The ratings mean nothing to me. I am not buying advertising time on ABC or TSN. That is a fact of life. Millions of viewers will be glued to their TV's tomorrow, trust me.
    Ratings mean nothing to you? If the ratings were crap, they'd put it on tape delay, as NBC did for "Breakfast" at Wimbledon. You'd be outraged.

Have a nice round, don't make too many bogies while worrying about the lack of Woods being there on Sunday
    C'mon, be nice now...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    A bit harsh.

A shame, as you might miss a step towards history. But I guess another milestone on what could be a historical march isn't significant enough. To each his own.

Every golfer has his fans.

True, though he is a compelling story either way.

Just as you would if you skip out on Tiger.

Of course it is good for golf. It shows that golf is a sport of a lifetime, to be enjoyed at every age, and shows us that our day in the sun may be just around the corner.

Many care that Woods missed the cut. Sweeping generalizations like this don't help your case. If Watson goes on to win, and Tiger missing the cut is irrelevant, because it is the last man standing that counts.

Your point has been made.

Ratings mean nothing to you? If the ratings were crap, they'd put it on tape delay, as NBC did for "Breakfast" at Wimbledon. You'd be outraged.

C'mon, be nice now...
    You sure like to break things down don't you?

I can hear it now, "Watson only won because Woods missed the cut"

For people to say "Tiger Woods made golf what it is today" is totally off base.

Arnie, Jack, Gary, Lee and many other great players paved the way for Tiger and this generation of golfers. Networks rely on Tiger way too much.

Even after missing the cut his "Highlights" were shown. What highlights? He missed the cut
    I didn't see any "Highlights" of the other guys who were +5 and over.

Like I said, I talk to many golfers every day of the week and they do not all rely on Tiger being there on Sunday in order for them to watch the coverage on TV. Then again, most of those golfers are not new to the game, they have been around for years.

I also talk to a lot of young golfers and Tiger is not a hot topic with them either. Must be a "SW Ontario Thing" I guess.

There, now you have something else to break down!

You sure like to break things down don't you?

Harsh? Hardly, you haven't seen harsh yet!

I can only aspire to your level of curmudgeoness.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

so if tigershot is not a fan of golf for not watching if tiger is not in the field, then not watching when he is in the field is the same no?

golfbum, seriously, man you have to lighten up.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    I don't think golf will not be 'as entertaining', without out him. There are so many people that don't golf and don't even like the sport, but will tune in if he is in contention on Sunday. Most of us on this forum watch golf, but if you ask anyone who doesn't watch golf.. they all know who Tiger is. Also, Tiger has brought more to this game then anyone and perhaps who ever will.
    He has brought more ethnic groups to watch golf and who eventually will take up the sport.
    All I'm saying is that there are more disappointed people (especially nongolfers) who would rather see Tiger playing.
    There will be a time that Tiger will walk away and golf will go on, but it won't be the same.
    This just means more tee times for us real golfers who wont have to wait every shot for Tiger-wanna-bees playing thier shinny new Nike clubs and leaving behind all those Nike balls in the bushes
    Get ready for the classified section getting full !!

(just having some here ....dont take it seriously now)
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Even after missing the cut his "Highlights" were shown. What highlights? He missed the cut
    I didn't see any "Highlights" of the other guys who were +5 and over.

Heyyyy golfbum

Be nice now, I for one enjoyed those highlights.
    It was fun watching the real of Tiger slamming his club in every highlight shots I watched. A pull to the left followed by a few choice words and a slam of that Nike into the ground. A flopp gone bad followed by a chuck of the club to Sir Stevie. And top if off with chuncked chip shot back to his feet followed by more cursing ........................ What else do you need to see ? Golf???
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Boy the TV coverage is terrible. This moring in the first 20 minutes I actually got to see 4 putts and now they're showing the replays of Tiger's missed shots. Come on people get with it and show some golf. I'm sure glad for the pvr as I can actually watch all the shots during a 3 hour broadcast in about 15 or 20 minutes. How interesting is it to watch VJ walking to the next tee. Oh wow another putt. WoooHooo!!!!!

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I am so looking forward to seeing Tom today Gooooo Tom. Best of luck.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Tom is playing wonderfully well. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    I am so looking forward to seeing Tom today Gooooo Tom. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    Heyyyy golfbum

Be nice now, I for one enjoyed those highlights.
    It was fun watching the real of Tiger slamming his club in every highlight shots I watched. A pull to the left followed by a few choice words and a slam of that Nike into the ground. A flopp gone bad followed by a chuck of the club to Sir Stevie. And top if off with chuncked chip shot back to his feet followed by more cursing ........................ What else do you need to see ? Golf???
    Those replays I did enjoy I loved what Charlie Rymer said on the Golf Channel when he brought up the fact that he takes his 11 and 12 year old sons golfing. They slam clubs on missed shots and Dad tells them not to do that. They say "Well Tiger does it" So Charlie said "Tiger needs to stop doing that" or something along those lines. Charlie was correct.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    A bogey on 18. Bad. 4 hole playoff. Good. Prediction: Tom wins by using his hybrid for all putts within 5 feet.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Must say that I'm glad it's going to a playoff. I slept through most of it and am glad I'm going to get a chance to see a few holes of golf. Hope Watson pulls it off. Couldn't stand a non-Brit winning it if it's not Watson

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    They are off with the playoffs.. Tom'S swings look smooth with every clubs. I'm surprise many of his putts have been weak!

Of course by now you should know that Cink won the playoff.

You have to feel for Tom. He had his hands on his 6th Claret Jug before making a sloppy 5 on the 72nd hole.

After that it was downhill. He made a great par on the 6th. The drive on 17 did him in.

He played well for 4 days for someone that age.

Congrats to Stewart Cink for winning his first major. The birdie putt on 18 was clutch.

Way to go Stewart Cink. He definitely won that championship. Birdied 18 to give himself a chance at a playoff, then played the playoff 2 under par. I went in to that playoff thinking even par would win it, and he managed to go 2 under. Yes, Watson collapsed, but I don't think there was a player out there who could have gone 2 under in that playoff to match Cink. Great win.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'm happy for Cink but I have to say that it was heart breaking watching Tom play those last holes of the play-off............Congrats on a great run Tom Watson, you are classy guy and one of the All-time Greats of the game

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Heartbreaking stuff for sure.How many of us were rootin for him.Drama till the end.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    That was depressing... I bet there were exactly 3 people at the course cheering for Cink. He won't be receiving a Christmas card from me this year.

Cink was the black hat for sure. Nice chap, but a black hat.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    Watson was incredible this week, but in his hey day, he would have drained an 80 foot putt on the 18th to win. He was an incredible putter way back when, lagged nothing, but his putt on number 18 today was just brutal, and kinda reinforced why he has not won much anywhere in recent times. But what a show this man put on - just classic!!
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    A bogey on 18. Bad. 4 hole playoff. Good. Prediction: Tom wins by using his hybrid for all putts within 5 feet.
    It was sad. He just seemed to totally lose it after yipping that putt. He played superbly though. Fabulous to watch.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If Watson hits the green on 18 it's game over.

In the playoff his drive on the 3rd hole is what killed him. All week he kept it in play off the tee. Fisher lost his chance at winning when he hit it into the junk.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I think he thought he'd won when the ball left his 8i on the last hole. When it went over the green it was all over. Too bad, he kicked all their butts for 4 rounds and thrilled the whole whole for a few days.

Looking back it's so sureal, like I know he's 59, and that's what would make it so momentous. But in another way it was just Tom Watson stalking another major lol, no surpirse. When I sit back now and it really sinks in that the guy is almost 60...

This is no fluke either, he's been haunting leaderboards now and then all through his 50s. He beat the field on the final round in the US open a few years back. Personally, I think he's the greatest golfer the game's ever seen. On the last hole under all that pressure with god only knows going through his head, he strokes two right down the pipe.

Where's the "I am not worthy!" emoticon

What's too bad is that Stewart Cink is never going to get any credit for his amazing play today, and all anybody is ever going to talk about is how they wished Watson had won. Sure, the Watson story was great, but Cink shot 3 under for 22 holes today, and birdied 3 of his final 5 holes. Unfortunately, his win is being basically ignored, which is a shame, as the guy played great, and has been a constant presence near the top of leaderboards for years. He finally wins his first major, in very impressive fashion, and nobody notices. He's just the guy who beat a 59 year old.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    What's too bad is that Stewart Cink is never going to get any credit for his amazing play today, and all anybody is ever going to talk about is how they wished Watson had won. Sure, the Watson story was great, but Cink shot 3 under for 22 holes today, and birdied 3 of his final 5 holes. Unfortunately, his win is being basically ignored, which is a shame, as the guy played great, and has been a constant presence near the top of leaderboards for years. He finally wins his first major, in very impressive fashion, and nobody notices. He's just the guy who beat a 59 year old.
    He should give Paul Lawrie a call...

I feel terrible for Lee Westwood, he had the jug in his grasp and didn't really mi a shot, terribly unlucky to roll into those two bunkers, he must be absolutely gutted tonight. I bet poor old Fisher is having nightmares about not taking an unplayable straight away on the 5th. Great drama though.

Tom, I still love you man, what a great player and fantastic human being you are...

Oh and (through gritted teeth), congrats Stewart...

Thread Information