CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Hope Tom goes further than the other old guy Greg Norman did at last year..
    Tiger should relinquish cap and let the original "TW" wears it for the day..

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Tom Watson could give Tiger lessons on scoring in the wind and rain. Almost 60 years old, and he shoots 70 after being 4 over par after 7 holes. Unbelievable. Go Tom.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

Not good for tv ratings

With Tiger not in playing. the rating will drop big time.
    It's not good for golf in these days.
    It's just not the same.
    I won't be watching...but will be playing!
    The broadcast serves it's costumers what they want and the majority want Tiger!
    Just a fact.
    Bite, Bite!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Well with only 5 players left on the course, it seems very unlikely that 4 of them are going to blow up now. Maybe 2 of them, but with Boo Weekley, Branden Grace, and Chris Wood at even par or better with only a couple of holes left, it looks like the field will be at least 72 golfers.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I guess whoever wins the Open this year will have to have the obligatory asterisk next to their name because Tiger didn't make the cut.
    Andrew

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    I guess whoever wins the Open this year will have to have the obligatory asterisk next to their name because Tiger didn't make the cut.
    I think that asterisk might be lost in the fescue on the 10th hole.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    With Tiger not in playing. the rating will drop big time.
    It's not good for golf in these days.
    It's just not the same.
    I won't be watching...but will be playing!
    The broadcast serves it's costumers what they want and the majority want Tiger!
    Just a fact.
    Correction...it's not good for ratings. The game of golf is in fine shape regardless of who does or does not make the cut. The fact that you will be playing golf rather than watching golf suggests that it is actually good for golf when Tiger doesn't make the cut. After all, golf is a game to be played and enjoyed, not watched from a couch.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Correction...it's not good for ratings. The game of golf is in fine shape regardless of who does or does not make the cut. The fact that you will be playing golf rather than watching golf suggests that it is actually good for golf when Tiger doesn't make the cut. After all, golf is a game to be played and enjoyed, not watched from a couch.
    But, you must admit that the profile of golf is much higher now, with Tiger, since 1997, than it was before he came on the scene. Purses are way up. Revenues are way up. Ratings are way up. One reason alone - Tiger.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Certainly Tiger has been a hugely positive impact on golf. But, having him miss a few weekends is not going to weaken the game. If anything, it will strengthen it by showing that golf does in fact continue without Tiger. As last year showed, you can have great golf without Tiger. And, people have to realise that one day Tiger will stop playing golf. When that happens, the world will keep turning, people will keep playing, and golf will still be entertaining.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    There was no Tiger in last year's British Open and it was one of the most exciting stories of the year... largely due to Greg Norman.

If Tom Watson can find some way to hold on... NO ONE will remember that Tiger Woods missed the cut. Well... Tiger likely will.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    I don't think golf will not be 'as entertaining', without out him. There are so many people that don't golf and don't even like the sport, but will tune in if he is in contention on Sunday. Most of us on this forum watch golf, but if you ask anyone who doesn't watch golf.. they all know who Tiger is. Also, Tiger has brought more to this game then anyone and perhaps who ever will.
    He has brought more ethnic groups to watch golf and who eventually will take up the sport.
    All I'm saying is that there are more disappointed people (especially nongolfers) who would rather see Tiger playing.
    There will be a time that Tiger will walk away and golf will go on, but it won't be the same.

Certainly Tiger has been a hugely positive impact on golf. But, having him miss a few weekends is not going to weaken the game. If anything, it will strengthen it by showing that golf does in fact continue without Tiger. As last year showed, you can have great golf without Tiger. And, people have to realise that one day Tiger will stop playing golf. When that happens, the world will keep turning, people will keep playing, and golf will still be entertaining.
    Bite, Bite!

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Point of order here... due to the focus on each and every Tiger shot, his negative reactions are put right in front of us to judge. We rarely, if ever, get to see the negative reactions from those other than Tiger, because all other players are not covered as intensely - if at all. They're likely wouldn't be any cameras following and documenting any outbursts from, lets say for example, Ian Poulter this morning (not that he had any, but we'll never know).
    To follow up on this, somewhere on the back nine Paul Casey broke his driver in anger. Wonder why no one talks about that, and why when Tiger shows some frustration he is called to the carpet.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Also, Tiger has brought more to this game then anyone and perhaps who ever will.
    Really? Perhaps in your short lifetime, but...

Golf is over 600 years old. Many great contributions have been made. To give Tiger so much credit ignores the history that makes any contemporary player's achievements on the course worthy of note. There is no record to break if others have not set them.

'Phenoms' like Tiger in any sport (Gretzky, Federer, Jordan... et all) get attention and are a powerful draw for sure but they do not make or break the game.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    i think watson playing as well as he is, for me, is more entertaining than tiger who i love, but the old guy angle is too cool. if he drops off then yes i need another story, but if he continues in the hunt .....then....its on.

i thought the stress got to him early as he was tentative and short on putts but man those long bombs???

I love this story line and maybe even someone all beat and battered with his wife on the bag i.e. calcavecchia is another great great story.I in this case still love the open tiger or no tiger (and i repeat...i love him as a player)
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

To follow up on this, somewhere on the back nine Paul Casey broke his driver in anger. Wonder why no one talks about that, and why when Tiger shows some frustration he is called to the carpet.
    Probably because nobody knows paul casey broke his driver because nobody but Tiger gets any coverage.

It's only natural that if an entire sport (or at least broadcast of an entire sport) is to be focussed on one individual, it will focus on their shortcomings. Or are we supposed to all bow down in deference while he's playing well, and then ignore it when he does something stupid (sort of like the commentators do)

A lesson for all of us. Never, ever give up.

I just watched Watson's round again, and it's even more impressive the second time. The guy birdies the first hole, and then reels off 5 bogies in the next 6 holes. He could have closed up shop and taken his farewell lap. But no, he goes -4 for the last 10 holes and instead of being miles down the leaderboard, and gets to play in the final group on Saturday. The man is 59 years old, and he's playing like he's 29. Nothing short of inspiring.

Arrt
    Which hole did Casey break his driver? He finished pretty strong if he broke it on the front nine. Might of helped him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrt View Post
    Which hole did Casey break his driver? He finished pretty strong if he broke it on the front nine. Might of helped him out.
    The guys on XM 146 only said it was early in the back nine...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Probably because nobody knows paul casey broke his driver because nobody but Tiger gets any coverage.

It's only natural that if an entire sport (or at least broadcast of an entire sport) is to be focussed on one individual, it will focus on their shortcomings. Or are we supposed to all bow down in deference while he's playing well, and then ignore it when he does something stupid (sort of like the commentators do)
    In a sense, we're agreeing with each other here. All I am saying is that some here like to rip and condemn Tiger for his temper, when what we don't see from broadcasters hides the indiscretions of other players.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    yay a duel in the sun montage, haven't seen that before...

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    yay a duel in the sun montage, haven't seen that before...
    I guess the reasoning is that those who 'work' on a weekday wouldn't have seen this until now...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    But, you must admit that the profile of golf is much higher now, with Tiger, since 1997, than it was before he came on the scene. Purses are way up. Revenues are way up. Ratings are way up. One reason alone - Tiger.
    Golf is golf
    It was GREAT golf back in 77 as it is today.
    You obviously are a Tiger Lover and thats ok. But some of us are golf Lovers first and foremost and will watch no matter what.

This is golf's oldest tournament and in fact "all" sports oldest tournament. We watch it every year because it is the Open.

NOT becuase Tiger is playing in it.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Really? Perhaps in your short lifetime, but...

Golf is over 600 years old. Many great contributions have been made. To give Tiger so much credit ignores the history that makes any contemporary player's achievements on the course worthy of note. There is no record to break if others have not set them.
    'Phenoms' like Tiger in any sport (Gretzky, Federer, Jordan... et all) get attention and are a powerful draw for sure but they do not make or break the game.
    Well said Mister Kilbank sir!!

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    I guess the reasoning is that those who 'work' on a weekday wouldn't have seen this until now...
    Get ready, you will be sick of the sight of that montage, and the other ones by the end of the weekend.

LESS FLUFF, MORE LIVE GOLF PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    Golf is golf
    It was GREAT golf back in 77 as it is today.
    You obviously are a Tiger Lover and thats ok. But some of us are golf Lovers first and foremost and will watch no matter what.

This is golf's oldest tournament and in fact "all" sports oldest tournament. We watch it every year because it is the Open.

NOT becuase Tiger is playing in it.
    Yes, I'm a Tiger lover. As I was a Jack lover, and a Freddie lover. I love watching guys who make it look easy, and guys who dominate. Dominant players and teams make for more compelling drama than does parody. I don't watch the NFL because there isn't a juggernaut, and nor will there be again. It's great for their league, as it is for the NHL, as there will always be the chance that your local will rise from the ashes one year to win.

I feel extremely lucky to be watching someone who could break a previously thought untouchable record, as I felt fortunate to watch Gretzky in his prime, and Jordan.

To imply that I'd not love golf if there weren't a dominant player like Tiger is both capricious and arbitrary.

Who said I wouldn't watch if Tiger weren't in it? Who says I'm not watching this morning? All I know is that what you'll remember most about era when you're 80 is that Tiger did things that you may never see again - even if he doesn't reach 19 majors.

Have a look at how purses have grown since 1997, and then ask the 125th man on the money list how his bank account looks. I'm not saying that golf wasn't great in 1977, or in 1877 for that matter, because I am sure it was.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Who said I wouldn't watch if Tiger weren't in it? Who says I'm not watching this morning? All I know is that what you'll remember most about era when you're 80 is that Tiger did things that you may never see again - even if he doesn't reach 19 majors.

Have a look at how purses have grown since 1997, and then ask the 125th man on the money list how his bank account looks. I'm not saying that golf wasn't great in 1977, or in 1877 for that matter, because I am sure it was.
    True enough

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Did anyone else laugh at the whole "Mother Nature" bit tat the start of the coverage?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Is it just me, or is the coverage a bit... boring?

I am cheering for Watson but there just isn't much excitement. Maybe it's the course that seems to force players to lay up a lot? I dunno...

Also, Tom Weiskopf (sp?) knows the game but he's not exactly a lively personality.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Jesus this thread is full of lameness. How about some plain appreciation for the fact that great golf is being played, there's some awesome stories up on that leaderboard and we get to watch and enjoy it?

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I'm pretty pumped, Watson is playing wonderfully & he's leading going into the final round. Its unbelievable.
    Andrew

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Yes sir, tomorrow should be fantastic seeing how this plays out.

Thread Information