CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf in Banff

Arrt

Golf in Banff

Anyone know of any good courses besides kananaskiks? Thanks.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Banff Springs of course. In Canmore (the eastern boundary of the park) there are a few nice courses, Silvertip, Stewart Creek and Canmore Golf and Curling. If you're willing to drive a bit, Jasper Park Lodge is spectacular (and so is the drive there along the Icefields Parkway). Also Radium and in Invermere, Greywolf.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I have heard Kananaskis is the one to play in that area.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Arrt
    Yeah, seems to be. I checked most of those courses and they were all over 100 dollars for 18 besides the Canmore gc. I was already planning to go to Kananaskis, but we are there for a bit so wanted to see what else there was and what people here have played.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    You should play Banff Springs. It is expensive. Service is just OK. The practice facility is marginal. The course is very flat and runs basically along the river valley.

But... it is one of Stanley Thompson's signature courses and the scenery of the surrounding mountains is spectacular. Watch for the elk roaming the course. All puts break toward the Banff Springs Hotel (or so they tell you).

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    If you play Banff Springs (which you definitely should), then you should try to play the original 18. The new holes are good, but they are no substitute for the original.

I loved the course when I played it 9 times in 7 days years ago! The scenery is spectacular (including the elk that roam on or near the course). The course itself is well designed, beautiful and fun to play. It is for good reason that Golf Digest has it rated 4 out of 5 stars.

There are a few things you might want to consider. At one time, there was a discounted rate if you teed off late in the afternoon. You should check if that is still the case. Keep in mind, as well, that their summer days are longer than ours. Sunset today, for example, is 21:52 - very helpful for a late round.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    I've always wanted to golf in Banff, unfortunately I've never had the time, the few times I've been there in the summer months. I have been warned, however, to be mindful that there are more hazards around the course than just the sand and the water...
    Attached Images
    Wannabe Golf

Birdie JWWRMA is on a distinguished road

Where to play in Banff

Play both Kananaskis courses. In the past it was cheaper for me to book the Kananaskis courses from Ottawa as opposed to my buddies booking from Calgary. Kananaskis is owned by the Province, hence the lower prices (than Banff Springs) and perhaps why out-of-province visitors get a cheaper rate.

If you only play 1 of the Kananaskis courses, play Mount Lorett. A different and spectacular mountain view from every hole.

Play the original Banff Spring course, but watch out for elk and watch out for lots of goose s$it.

I just checked and it is now cheaper for Alberta residents. I know that when we played a number of years ago my buddies were pi**ed at having to pay more. I guess the gov't listened. BTW I prefer Lorett over Banff Springs. When I played out there regularly, I avoided Banff Springs because of all the elk (too many) and all of the goose droppings (far too much)
    Last edited by JWWRMA; 07-24-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: new information

Arrt
    We already booked at Lorrette I think. I was surprised how busy it is in late August. The only time available was 3:30, which was to bad, but now I am glad we even got a time.

Putter bovid is on a distinguished road
    i have played all of those courses. you cannot go wrong with kananaskis. i personally love silver tip. thought banff springs was over priced and rated. another one u might try is glen eagles in cochrane. like others have suggested if u drive a few more hours into innvemere u can play greywolf, copper point and eagle ranch.

Thread Information