CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Driver north52step is on a distinguished road

Studio Select Newport 2

I would like to thank a couple of members for their assistance. Had posted a Scotty Putter, unbeknown to me it was not authentic. They are Big Johnny 69 and Swerve. Bother were supportive in their posts. Another who probably most technically correct, I will not mention originated the querie and albiet was correct, wished his approach was more positive.

I have closed the thread on this putter and am currently dealing with the seller to resolve the issues.

thanks

Terry (north52step)

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Anytime Terry, glad I could help and I hope you get it sorted out. Some of the fakes are really well done, and unless you know what to look for they could easily be passed off as authentic.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

9 Iron Chanter is on a distinguished road
    Terry,

That's too bad; I too hope you can resolve this.

Any chance the experts could educate us on what to look for when examining a Scotty?

Thanks,

Allen

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I was looking back at that thread, how could you guys tell it wasn't authentic?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The headcover looked bad, which is usually the tip off, but as for the putter, it was a really good copy actually. I compared the pics to pics of a select I used to have, and it was just the font on the engravings was a bit off. A bit thinner. I wasn't 100% sure it was a fake as the milling pattern on the face was identical to a legit select, and the engravings (though thinner) were in the correct spots on the putter. Even the grip looked good in the pics, which is usually another tip off to a fake.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Overall the putter was more "rounded" as well. The new Selects are a little more "squarish", if you will. Take a look at the face on toe shot. An original Select has a longer more straight line from the top of the toe, which the toe is a bit more square as well, down towards the bottom of the toe. The one in the pics is much more rounded from top to bottom and the line is shorter.

And the sightlines are different. An original has a sightline all the way into the cavity, this one stops a bit short of the cavity.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Its really funny, i want a studio select newport 2 and realize that i want one at the lower price i want to pay (which is hard...real ones...you get what you pay for..cheap ones...buyer beware) and there is a funny listing.

I see one that could be won on ebay within cda so no import charge worries, the guy lists it and i see that it says 15 gram weights in the 35" model. I am no scotty expert at all but i thought at GT the same model and length was 10 gram weights?

So i ask the guy if there was an error (or my mistake, or custom order with proof etc..)
    His reply?
    i bought this used. i think the previous owner changed the factory
    adjustable circular weight.
    I can't tell you if this authentic or not. I got this used with my
    golf set and I have no use for it as I don't want change my
    putter. Its just sitting around my house. Hope this helps. Please
    read my terms and conditions before you bid on item.

His terms....??
    This item is sold “as is”, meaning that for any reason, regardless, buyer will accept item without complaint. Buyer agrees that he/she will not open a dispute on PayPal or leave negative feedback. Again, if you don’t agree with the above, please don’t buy. We're sure that you will be happy with your purchase, but we have to protect from fraudulent buyers. This is not to say that there is any problem with the product.

Well this is against ebay policy? Ebay states if an item is fraudulent you can open a dispute, a seller can put all the rules in his listing he wants but if he claims its a scotty and its not then you get to dispute it and get your money back. Just like sellers used to make buyers pay for insurance or else once its in mail its not their responsibility ...which was a crock...ebay rules are provide proof of delivery and good condition when arriving...so they even changed the rules of allowing you to ask for insurance...its up to a seller to buy it or not now ...

...but what gives with this guy..funny he is located in canada..but does not even list his city...just a vague located in canada within canada as if he wants nobody to know where he really is??

PS...there are a couple pics too....any two cents on real or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160352055613&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by sharkhark; 07-29-2009 at 04:46 PM.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Champion racmbs is on a distinguished road racmbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by north52step View Post
    I would like to thank a couple of members for their assistance. Had posted a Scotty Putter, unbeknown to me it was not authentic. They are Big Johnny 69 and Swerve. Bother were supportive in their posts. Another who probably most technically correct, I will not mention originated the querie and albiet was correct, wished his approach was more positive.

I have closed the thread on this putter and am currently dealing with the seller to resolve the issues.

thanks

Terry (north52step)
    Sorry to hear that Terry, as for me being more "positive" about my posting, not sure how much more positive I could have been, other than telling the truth about what I saw and alerting other members. This is what makes places like this and others, such a tight-knit community...we all watch out for one another, and vice versa. My post in your thread was not meant to be malicious or an attack, so please don't take it that way. I'm just more upset over how it was dealt with on a personal level, by one member of this forum who is clearly not in the know about Scotty Cameron equipment, and made me feel as if I was in the wrong.

Best of luck in getting your funds back, and shame on the person who sold it to you Terry, as he or she probably knew it was a fake before hand and just wanted to unload it on an unsuspecting person like you.

If any of us can help, give us a shout and we'll certainly see what we can do.

Champion racmbs is on a distinguished road racmbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark View Post
    Its really funny, i want a studio select newport 2 and realize that i want one at the lower price i want to pay (which is hard...real ones...you get what you pay for..cheap ones...buyer beware) and there is a funny listing.

I see one that could be won on ebay within cda so no import charge worries, the guy lists it and i see that it says 15 gram weights in the 35" model. I am no scotty expert at all but i thought at GT the same model and length was 10 gram weights?

So i ask the guy if there was an error (or my mistake, or custom order with proof etc..)
    His reply?
    i bought this used. i think the previous owner changed the factory
    adjustable circular weight.
    I can't tell you if this authentic or not. I got this used with my
    golf set and I have no use for it as I don't want change my
    putter. Its just sitting around my house. Hope this helps. Please
    read my terms and conditions before you bid on item.

His terms....??
    This item is sold “as is”, meaning that for any reason, regardless, buyer will accept item without complaint. Buyer agrees that he/she will not open a dispute on PayPal or leave negative feedback. Again, if you don’t agree with the above, please don’t buy. We're sure that you will be happy with your purchase, but we have to protect from fraudulent buyers. This is not to say that there is any problem with the product.

Well this is against ebay policy? Ebay states if an item is fraudulent you can open a dispute, a seller can put all the rules in his listing he wants but if he claims its a scotty and its not then you get to dispute it and get your money back. Just like sellers used to make buyers pay for insurance or else once its in mail its not their responsibility ...which was a crock...ebay rules are provide proof of delivery and good condition when arriving...so they even changed the rules of allowing you to ask for insurance...its up to a seller to buy it or not now ...

...but what gives with this guy..funny he is located in canada..but does not even list his city...just a vague located in canada within canada as if he wants nobody to know where he really is??

PS...there are a couple pics too....any two cents on real or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160352055613&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As Ted and I told you, this one is a fake too. I'd personally report it to eBay....his terms go against eBay's listing policies.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I too was recently interested in a Studio Select putter but it was assembled in another country other than the USA.
    I called Scotty Cameron and all of their putters are made and assembled in USA. Also, they told me to hold a magnet to the face of the studio select putter and the magnet should NOT stick to it...I guess that is another way to tell if its a fake.

Putter johnnyboy is on a distinguished road
    Those same putters come up on kijiji.ca although he says they are knock offs.

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ123457117

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by racmbs View Post
    As Ted and I told you, this one is a fake too. I'd personally report it to eBay....his terms go against eBay's listing policies.
    i did scotty, i notified them on both it being counterfeit and also his terms which are mind boggling..i am starting to learn the ways to tell like a skinnier font, crooked cameron in cavity...cheap thin looking headcover threading etc etc...
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Also, they told me to hold a magnet to the face of the studio select putter and the magnet should NOT stick to it...I guess that is another way to tell if its a fake.
    whew! i tried it on my scotty and it didn't stick.

Thread Information