CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road

Golflogix on iPhone and Blackberry now

http://www.golflogix.com/website/default.aspx

As a iPhone user, awesome.
    As someone that just bought a Golflogix GPS on ebay this week. This sucks.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    It becomes available on the 10th of July.
    Free version works for 24 hours.
    After that it is $35/year

I am curious to see how they get around the GPS antenna weakness of the iphone. Will be trying it.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

I am wondering if anyone has had a chance to try the Golflogix software on a blackberry or iphone.
    I see both are available now. (I will try the iphone version this weekend at Cedarhill).
    Just wondering if others have already had some experience with either device.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabster View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has had a chance to try the Golflogix software on a blackberry or iphone.
    I see both are available now. (I will try the iphone version this weekend at Cedarhill).
    Just wondering if others have already had some experience with either device.
    My friend did the trial at Greensemere on Monday. All in all, it was pretty good. He was using it more. I just tend to use the yardage markers... No need on spending money . I can be cheap at times though.
    We tested it from the yardage markers and they were reading pretty good. Within a couple yards anyways.
    One neat feature that I thought was good was the fact you can measure how far you hit the ball with it. You can create points and it will tell you how far you have walked.
    For $35 for teh year. I dont see how you can go wrong.

Hi,

I tried the Golflogix software on the iphone last week at Cedarhill.
    The distances were almost as good as the stand alone unit. I would say at times it might have been off about 2-3 yards more than the Garmin unit.

I don't know if the battery would last the entire 18 holes. I turned it off and on as I played so probably used it for 1/2 the holes.

The visual display is terrific. Nice and clear. Easy to understand distances.
    Last shot distance worked good.
    Score keeping I didn't try. It even logs clubs which I didn't try.

I guess if you logged every shot, and every club and then uploaded that to the site, you would have some nice stats on distances, etc.
    If you shoot low numbers, that might be a good feature and a value.
    If you shoot in the 90s or more, that is lots of work to keep resetting last shot and reentering clubs, etc. I suspect most people would not be able to maintain that over 18 holes. You would need a caddie to manage this thing. No joke.

The main downside I see is that it downloads hole specs as you play. It isn't a big download but if you are in the woods and far from a good cell connection, I don't know how it would behave. At Cedarhill the connection was 3G so it was not an issue.

Overall, if you have the iphone, $35 to try out beats buying the Garmin unit. It certainly is fun to use.
    But if you have the Garmin, I would stick with that. Its just easier to use, read and batteries last 3-4 rounds.

7 Wood scooby103 is on a distinguished road
    Looks to have a decent local course selection. I use Intelligolf now, and will download this for a try. I'm using the BB Tour, so will give an overview after I'm done. For me, Intelligolf is just so simple, I'm not certain I'll look at replacing it, but this system looks pretty sharp. Also, free courses and no monthly / yearly fee on the Intelligolf software is a real plus....
    The difference between involvement and commitment are like a egg and ham breakfast, the chicken was involved, the pig was commited.

Well, so far so bad. I am getting the following error after install and trying to run the app on my BB Tour:

- Network error, cannot find the host.

BB version 4.7 so I'm up to date, and every other app / otherwise works, including any GPS based programs.

Been on hold with their tech support for over 40 minutes... and I heard it pick up once and get transferred... sounds like an outsourced call center...

Anyway, so far so bad....
    The difference between involvement and commitment are like a egg and ham breakfast, the chicken was involved, the pig was commited.

Eagle mmack067 is on a distinguished road mmack067's Avatar
    This is a good app. I used it the other day and it was only a couple yards (2-3 maybe) off of the uPro. The only problem is that it can take some time loading and the yardages seemed to keep updating so you thought you had the right yardage, and then a few seconds later it would update again. It's almost as though it is slow in tracking your progress, so you have to be a little patient and wait for it to fully update.

Other than that I think it's great and a real viable option if you don't want to spend hundreds of $$ on something like a uPro. As for the battery life, it wasn't an issue, just put your screen settings a little lower and press the button on the top (without hitting the home button!!!) and your app will keep running while your screen is off.

Overall I'd give it an 8.5/10. I'm going to try FreeCaddie next time and will choose one of the two to purchase.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    That's the GPS reciever in your phone that is slow, not the app. Try a $50 bluetooth GPS reciever. More accurate and super fast. There are lots to chose from, and if you are interested, I can recommend one.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmack067 View Post
    This is a good app. I used it the other day and it was only a couple yards (2-3 maybe) off of the uPro. The only problem is that it can take some time loading and the yardages seemed to keep updating so you thought you had the right yardage, and then a few seconds later it would update again. It's almost as though it is slow in tracking your progress, so you have to be a little patient and wait for it to fully update.

Other than that I think it's great and a real viable option if you don't want to spend hundreds of $$ on something like a uPro. As for the battery life, it wasn't an issue, just put your screen settings a little lower and press the button on the top (without hitting the home button!!!) and your app will keep running while your screen is off.

Overall I'd give it an 8.5/10. I'm going to try FreeCaddie next time and will choose one of the two to purchase.

My Update:

The app still is not working on my phone BB Tour. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the the app multiple times, via OTA as well as hard install via sync. Same error continues. I have sent the support team 2 emails, neither of which has been responded to, and have tried to contact the support line twice as well but hung up after 30 minutes on hold.

I'm going to try again today, but as far as I'm concerned this app gets a 1/10. I give it a one as their site has pretty pictures, and screen shots that look cool. While Intelligolf is far from pretty it works. Period. On any device I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    That's the GPS reciever in your phone that is slow, not the app. Try a $50 bluetooth GPS reciever. More accurate and super fast. There are lots to chose from, and if you are interested, I can recommend one.
    The GPS in the newer style BB's (Tour and Storm) use a top end SIRf GPS receiver and is accurate as nearly all on the market. All GPS receivers have an accuracy of about 2 - 3 yards. GPS is just not that accurate. However, 2 - 3 yards for 99.9% of golfers should be sufficient. I don't know many people that can drop a 4 iron within 3 yards of the intended target all the time.

I will agree though that the capabilities of updating the positioning might have more to do with the processing power of the units. Especially on a graphic intensive program like Golfogix it will take more time to display the results. The tour has the fastest BB processor to date, so it might be more capable. That being said, I'm not sure pairing to an external GPS receiver via Bluetooth will make it any better, as you will take yet more processing to keep the Bluetooth connection active.

Although, I wouldn't know as I can't get this program to function...

I used it sparingly for one round and although I found the GUI to be exceptional, it just was not accurate enough.

According to GolfLogix, their maps are accurate to 2-3 yards and the iphone GPS antenna to 7. That means there could be a total of 10 yards of inaccuracy. The is one full club. Too much IMHO.

I admit I did not have the app. running constantly when I was using it, so the GPS the dot have enough time to lock in signal, but on the front of the 9th green, it told me I was 25 yards to the front!!!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It also depends on the accuracy of the mapping of the course.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    on a side note, does anybody know a good app on the iphone to track your statistics (GIR/Fair/Putts, etc)? I have a really good yardage book for my course, so would really just like something that keeps track of my stats.

I did try that app on the iPhone and really liked it, although I did find that it sucked the life out of my phone. I liked the ability to track my stats and the distances i hit my clubs, but found my yardage book more useful for distances.

Golf Card. It is the best iphone app for golf out there.
    Last edited by rezadue; 08-27-2009 at 08:41 AM.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Golf Card/ It is the best iphone app for golf out there.
    Hell ya it is!!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    Golf Card. It is the best iphone app for golf out there.
    i just searched, is that pirate golf card for $1.99?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

No Jeff. It is just called : golfcard
    It is by Senygma. http://www.senygma.com/GolfCard/Home.html

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Golf card is awsome been using it all summer and they keep making huge improvements too it and according to Reza they are very good at supporting the product when there have been issues or request for new features!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'm assuming that you guys are using Golf Card in conjunction with an oobgolf.com account right.........sweet, sweet combination

Hell yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I'm assuming that you guys are using Golf Card in conjunction with an oobgolf.com account right.........sweet, sweet combination

Don't know anything about Golfcard, but an update for me on the Golflogix software:

Still not able to use the program. I have uninstalled and reinstalled by both OTA as well as manual and still no go. I am getting the same error - Network Error, host is not available.

I have finally decided today to stay on hold till I got through to a support person. 41 minutes later I spoke to a guy who basically took down my OS info, the error code and my contact information for a software *engineer* to get back to me...

No luck thus far.

That being said, I played Dragonfly yesterday (very minor rain) and Intelligolf worked flawlessly..... I just wish my game worked as well.

Haha.

Pitching Wedge explore is on a distinguished road explore's Avatar
    Hi I have thew smart phone does it coast money for air time when using golflogix
    is the sofware using airtime from your smart phone or i phone?

Pitching Wedge explore is on a distinguished road explore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by explore View Post
    Hi I have thew smart phone does it coast money for air time when using golflogix
    is the sofware using airtime from your smart phone or i phone?
    To be more specific do you use air time with the golflogix

While you are playing golf and using the iPhone for example, it is using the 3G connection to download course data while you play.
    It will need and use your data plan to download the course as you play. There is no option to pre-download a course before you play.

Based on that, I would assume it won't work if you can't get cell reception at the course.

I also believe that the GPS component in the iPhone uses the 3G connection to help with determining the location. I suspect without a good 3G connection the GPS part wouldn't work as well.

Thread Information