CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hybrid Drive4show is on a distinguished road Drive4show's Avatar

I need help understanding PING clubs

Ok,.. So I am currently playing a set of TM draw Irons, that I hit well... I dont hit them great,.. I hit them well.

Went to the range with a buddy of mine who just picked up a set of Ping i3's with a "blue" dot on them (can someone explain the different dots on all these effing clubs please).

I hit them "better" than mine, and am getting a little more distance compared from my current set to his. Could be the dot.. but there is a better feel off the face I find when i compare them to my TM's.

If someone can explain the difference of the dots, I would appreciate it.
    Forget your opponents; always play against par. And if that does not work, carry an eraser.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    You can download a PDF file of the Ping colour-coding system here:

http://www.ping.com/fitting/default.aspx

It is basically a static fitting system based on your wrist-to-floor measurement.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    The different colors represent different lie angles. The lie angle is the angle formed by the shaft and the ground. If you can imagine a shaft with no head on it stuck straight into the ground so it is perpendicular to the ground it would have 90 degree lie angle. The standard lie angle for a Ping 5 iron is 60.75, based on that angle ping color codes their irons either more upright (closer to 90 degrees) colors blue to maroon or more flat, colors red to gold. The idea is that you want the club to strike the ground in the center of the sole so there is no twisting at contact.... So if you took a standard black dot ping club and you placed electrical tape on the bottom of it and hit a few shots off a lie board ( just a hard plastic board) you would wear a mark on the tape on the bottom of the club. If the mark is closer to the toe than the center you would need to have a more upright club head. (colors blue to maroon) If the mark was closer to the heel than the center you would need to have clubs that are flatter (colors red to gold). The only other thing that makes it a bit tricky is that once you start adding length or making the club shorter you will also make the lie angle slightly different. Every 1/2 inch you add to the club increases the lie angle by approximately 2 degrees upright and every 1/2 you go shorter it flattens by 2 degrees.

Hope this helps

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Every 1/2 inch you add to the club increases the lie angle by approximately 2 degrees upright and every 1/2 you go shorter it flattens by 2 degrees
    Are you sure about that?

hit them "better" than mine, and am getting a little more distance compared from my current set to his
    Compare loft vs loft from both sets. Also compare club length from one set to another.You will not really lose significant distance if the lies are not right for you. It will cause you directional problems.See
    http://www.touredge.com/services/lie.html
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 06-25-2009 at 08:05 AM.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    You can download a PDF file of the Ping colour-coding system here:

http://www.ping.com/fitting/default.aspx

It is basically a static fitting system based on your wrist-to-floor measurement.
    Anytime I've been fit for Ping clubs, I've hit balls off a lie board. It's obviously not the sort of fitting you'd get from a real clubfitter either(hitting every iron off the lie board), but it's not just a static fitting. The wrist to floor is more for club length anyway.

BTW, that colour chart is for recent Ping irons. The I3s would be under the old chart where blue dot was 1* up.

Hybrid Drive4show is on a distinguished road Drive4show's Avatar
    Thanks for the info,.. Looks like I am going to head to golftown to see if they can help me figure out which club would be best suited for me.. since I am heading to the states in three weeks, going to see about picking them up there..

Thanks again for all the info.. truely helpful.
    Forget your opponents; always play against par. And if that does not work, carry an eraser.

Correction

My mistake... it was late last night when I posted... It is about 1 degree for every 1/2 inch..

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Ping are arguably the best all around irons out there.Having played all brand names and compared them,they are easy to hit and have great feel.They just feel right in your hands.My son plays the I5's and swears by them and he has tried his fair share of clubs.Even the older models are still being played all around town and thats more that you can say about the other mnfgrs.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Of course Black Dot or Ping "standard" is not the industry standard. What 1* degree up to Ping is not necessarily the same for Titleist or Taylormade.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Arrt
    Quote Originally Posted by goley View Post
    The different colors represent different lie angles. The lie angle is the angle formed by the shaft and the ground. If you can imagine a shaft with no head on it stuck straight into the ground so it is perpendicular to the ground it would have 90 degree lie angle. The standard lie angle for a Ping 5 iron is 60.75, based on that angle ping color codes their irons either more upright (closer to 90 degrees) colors blue to maroon or more flat, colors red to gold. The idea is that you want the club to strike the ground in the center of the sole so there is no twisting at contact.... So if you took a standard black dot ping club and you placed electrical tape on the bottom of it and hit a few shots off a lie board ( just a hard plastic board) you would wear a mark on the tape on the bottom of the club. If the mark is closer to the toe than the center you would need to have a more upright club head. (colors blue to maroon) If the mark was closer to the heel than the center you would need to have clubs that are flatter (colors red to gold). The only other thing that makes it a bit tricky is that once you start adding length or making the club shorter you will also make the lie angle slightly different. Every 1/2 inch you add to the club increases the lie angle by approximately 2 degrees upright and every 1/2 you go shorter it flattens by 2 degrees.

Hope this helps

If I did the tape experiment how would the tape look if the irons are set up perfect?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrt View Post
    If I did the tape experiment how would the tape look if the irons are set up perfect?

Ripped in the middle of the sole
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrt
    I have a set of Ping g10's with green dot. I never got them set up to me because they felt really good and there was a miss communication with the pro shop. It's hard to tell if I mis hit them since they are super forgiving. I don't seem to miss greens to the left of right alot, always thought it to be poor alignment when I did.

About 3/4 to 1 inch football sized mark in the middle of the sole.... Heel to Toe and front to back. If the mark is very close to the leading edge you probably have too much shaft lean at impact and if the mark is closer to the back you are probably "flipping" through impact and have the shaft leaning backwards.(turning a 7 iron into a 8 iron or more.) And if the face is closed the mark will be closer to the leading edge towards the toe and closer to the back of the club towards the heel. The opposite if the clubface is open at impact.

Hope this makes sense and helps.
    Last edited by goley; 07-01-2009 at 03:00 AM.

Arrt
    Quote Originally Posted by goley View Post
    About 3/4 to 1 inch football sized mark in the middle of the clubface.... Heel to Toe and front to back. If the mark is very close to the leading edge you probably have too much shaft lean at impact and if the mark is closer to the back you are probably "flipping" through impact and have the shaft leaning backwards.(turning a 7 iron into a 8 iron or more.) And if the face is closed the mark will be closer to the leading edge towards the toe and closer to the back of the club towards the heel. The opposite if the clubface is open at impact.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Are you saying to put a mark on my iron and hit a ball? I don't think I really get what your trying to say about that. The other section makes more sense though.

Sorry Art the mark should be on the sole of the club.. where you put the tape, not on the face.

Thread Information