Thread: Lucas Glover

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar

Lucas Glover

Lucas Glover?? LUCAS GLOVER??

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    ..deserves a congratulations.
    Andrew

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    You should change the title to be "USOpen Spoiler" BTW.

The US Open is notorious for having some marginal players win it. For example the ones I remember watching:

Michael Campbell, Steve Jones, Corey Pavin (yes I consider him marginal), Scott Simpson. Glover will either be added to that list or win some more on tour and validate his Open win.

I'm a little bummed that Mickelson or Duval couldn't pull it out, but at least they were in the running. Hopefully this helps Duval get some confidence back.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I swear,i picked him to win on thursday.For some unknown reason,i saw him and i told my wife and son:theres your winner.They had a good laugh.This is the third time this has happened to me.

All I'm saying is that of all the story lines we could have had... we're left with Lucas Glover.

What we could have had:

Phil Mickelson - Sentimental favorite brings home the US Open trophy to his ailing wife.

David Duval - Back from oblivion

Ricky Barnes - Former US Amateur champion who fell on hard times... comes from nowhere.

Ross Fisher - First European in 30+ years to win the US Open

Tiger Woods - Amazingly... does it again.

What we actually got:

Lucas Glover - Um... er... well... He won I guess.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    You should change the title to be "USOpen Spoiler" BTW.

The US Open is notorious for having some marginal players win it. For example the ones I remember watching:

Michael Campbell, Steve Jones, Corey Pavin (yes I consider him marginal), Scott Simpson. Glover will either be added to that list or win some more on tour and validate his Open win.

I'm a little bummed that Mickelson or Duval couldn't pull it out, but at least they were in the running. Hopefully this helps Duval get some confidence back.
    I whole-heartedly agree

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Congrats to Mr Glover. US Open Champion!

Tough crowd in here.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Congrats to Mr Golver. US Open Champion!

Tough crowd in here.
    uh.. its Mr. Glover, Dan.

You hadn't heard of him either I guess!
    Andrew

Just dyslexic.

Yes, yes... congratulations to Lucas Glover. He beat the best players in the world on a super tough course and in trying conditions. Yada, yada, yada...

Unfortunately, watching him play golf is about as exciting as watching paint dry. When are these cookie cutter U.S. players going to get some personality?

Funny. People used to say that about David Duval.

Touche.

In Duval's defense (and mine), he has come around a LOT in the personality department since his heyday. And, at his peak, Duval could obliterate a golf course which made him interesting to watch.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    gotta agree. I was really pulling for a Duval/Mickelson playoff....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    In my defense, Duval is also golfing better since he put some pounds back on, so my weight strategy is sound.

Of course, by that criteria Hacker should be king of the OG ladder, so clearly the correlation between weight and golfing ability is not 100%.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    This is a strange thread. It's his first Major Win, he's an exciting young player!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    This is a strange thread. It's his first Major Win, he's an exciting young player!!
    I was thinking the same thing. Tough crowd. Unless you define "marginal" as still better than 99.9% of the golfers on the planet.

On the week, the best man won.

Congrats Lucas Glover!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    In my defense, Duval is also golfing better since he put some pounds back on, so my weight strategy is sound.

Of course, by that criteria Hacker should be king of the OG ladder, so clearly the correlation between weight and golfing ability is not 100%.
    ROFLMAO&PMP

Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    How exciting is watching any player swing, then walk? What do you want him to do, cartwheel up the fairway? And you're telling me Duval or Mickelson played thrilling golf? No. The only thing that makes a golfer 'interesting' or 'exciting' is the incessant focus that the commentators put on them, and their insistence that one player has an amazing story. Glover's story is pretty interesting in itself - perennial non-contender who managed to win the toughest major in golf. Only, this wasn't what the commentators were focussing on (which is generally Woods, Figjam, and whichever soul happens to be leading...aka Barnes). So, that makes Glover a boring story? No just a completely ignored story until the last 3 holes. The only player who was genuinely 'exciting' was Weaver, running all over the course. The rest of them were, well, golfers. Swing, plod, swing, plod, putt, plod, putt, tip cap, repeat.

well, some players or stories are just more interesting than others.

I didn't watch today's round but I did watch a fair bit on the weekend and to me he was just there. It is what it is to me - just not that exciting. What would have been much more exciting is Ricky Barnes, 2002 US Amateur champ that fell into obscurity, or Duval, former #1, major winner and currently ranked 800+ in the world who has been trying to battle back from some demons or Phil the Thrill, who put golf on hold to deal with his ailing wife, coming back after a month off and his mind probably elsewhere and winning one for Amy. Now those are WAY more interesting stories than a middle of the road golfer shooting +3 on the final day to win. Kinda the way I felt when a few others have won majors in the past few years, Chad Campbell, Zach Johnson, and Shawn Micheel, are a few that fall into the same category.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    well, some players or stories are just more interesting than others.

I didn't watch today's round but I did watch a fair bit on the weekend and to me he was just there. It is what it is to me - just not that exciting. What would have been much more exciting is Ricky Barnes, 2002 US Amateur champ that fell into obscurity, or Duval, former #1, major winner and currently ranked 800+ in the world who has been trying to battle back from some demons or Phil the Thrill, who put golf on hold to deal with his ailing wife, coming back after a month off and his mind probably elsewhere and winning one for Amy. Now those are WAY more interesting stories than a middle of the road golfer shooting +3 on the final day to win. Kinda the way I felt when a few others have won majors in the past few years, Chad Campbell, Zach Johnson, and Shawn Micheel, are a few that fall into the same category.
    Yeah but Jeff, that's "Hollywood", not golf. The real drama is in watching the individual players battle the course, and themselves in pursuit of the trophy, not in listening to "talking heads" like Bob Costas or Jimmy Roberts try and attach some bogus life-or-death importance to the proceedings. Everyone comes from somewhere. Give them long enough and even Lucas "Marginal" Glover will have his own biblical parable.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Yeah but Jeff, that's "Hollywood", not golf. The real drama is in watching the individual players battle the course, and themselves in pursuit of the trophy, not in listening to "talking heads" like Bob Costas or Jimmy Roberts try and attach some bogus life-or-death importance to the proceedings. Everyone comes from somewhere. Give them long enough and even Lucas "Marginal" Glover will have his own biblical parable.
    Couldn't agree more. If you need media hype to make watching the US Open exciting for you, then you're watching too much TV.

There were several players in the hunt right up until the end, and it came down to the last hole to determine the winner. Does everyone expect the Torrey Pines storyline every year now???

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    it's not hollywood, these stories happen all the time (refer to Tiger beating Rocco on one good knee last year or Ben Crenshaw winning the masters after Harvey Pennick died).

And I ignore the talking heads. It is what it is to me, ho-hum. I don't think you will convince me otherwise. If it was great to you guys, then all the power to you. Anyways, that's all i have to say on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Couldn't agree more. If you need media hype to make watching the US Open exciting for you, then you're watching too much TV.
    I never said the tournament wasn't exciting. I was really into it... right up until the point where it was clear Glover was going to win.

it's not hollywood, these stories happen all the time (refer to Tiger beating Rocco on one good knee last year or Ben Crenshaw winning the masters after Harvey Pennick died).

And I ignore the talking heads. It is what it is to me, ho-hum. I don't think you will convince me otherwise. If it was great to you guys, then all the power to you. Anyways, that's all i have to say on this subject.
    “What other people may find in poetry, I find in the flight of a good drive.” - Arnold Palmer

I wish the talking heads would go away with their essays and life stories that we hear over and over again week after week.... just show us more damned golf even of those that are playing like crap. It would be nice to see the big boys playing bad once in a while so everyone doesn't think that 'These Guys Are Good' all the time

It also drives me crazy to hear 'There is nothing to that putt, 35 feet straight up hill with very little break, he should make that no problem' If they are so easy now that he is an 'analyst', why to hell weren't they easy when he played

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    ROFLMAO&PMP

I was still good enough to beat your sorry ass the last time out..........

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Yes, yes... congratulations to Lucas Glover. He beat the best players in the world on a super tough course and in trying conditions. Yada, yada, yada...

Unfortunately, watching him play golf is about as exciting as watching paint dry. When are these cookie cutter U.S. players going to get some personality?
    Ya, real boring watching one of the best drivers of the golf ball on tour this year hit fairways and greens.

Far better to watch guys slashing it out of the rough and making double bogies.

Lucas Glover played the best golf of 156 players and he deserved to win.

What I do not seem to understand here is why people slag guys who step up to the plate and win a Major. It is not like he was ranked 12000 in the world. Oh sure, he has one win on the PGA coming into this event. Big deal, he WON THE U.S. OPEN. Tiger failed to win, Phil (who I wanted to win) failed to win, Duval, and company failed to win.

I wonder, if Tiger had hit fairways and greens and was -4 for the week, (as Glover was) would it have been BORING? Hey, that reminds me of a time when T Woods hit only ONE DRIVER during 4 rounds and won an Open Championship. BORING

It's the U.S. Open, it is not the SHOOTEM LOW OPEN. Pars win U.S. Opens.

Do I care if he wins another Major? No I don't. But a lot of better players in golf than him have failed to win Majors. (Monty, Sergio, Adam Scott, the list goes on and on)

I say CONGRATS TO LUCAS GLOVER for enduring 5 days of golf on a tough wet course while winning the U.S. Open.

Last edited by Golfbum; 06-22-2009 at 06:36 PM.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I would have thought that John Daly's world ranking would have been enough to make you realize that your strategy had some flaws........

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I was still good enough to beat your sorry ass the last time out..........

EVERYBODY beat my sorry ass the last time out so whats your point?

Thread Information