100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    A week ago I played a round where I would hit my normal drive and then hit the approach shot. Then, I walked 50 yards ahead and dropped a second ball, simulating where "Christain" would be if I could hit the ball that far. One would think that "Christain" would win easily, however, when the scores for the two balls were compared, I won. The added distance, then, was of no advantage.

The difficulty with the second ball was that it was hit frequently from a distance where a full swing was not required, and therefore, insufficient backspin was put on the ball to make it stop on the firm greens. My approach shots were full swings, with sufficient backspin to stop the ball closer to the hole.

For those of you who hit the ball a long way, it must be a thrill, about which I have never experienced, however, if scoring is important to you, then 300+ yards means squat if you cannot control where the ball ends up. The two young gentlemen that I played with in the Spring Open qualifier at Hautes Plaines on Monday, hit the ball probably 40 yards longer, and yet they were a collective 31 strokes behind me. Why? Accuracy versus distance. On a tight course like HP, if you cannot put the ball where you want, you have no chance.

When the PGA Tour plays on on tight, US Open type golf courses, who wins? Those who can control the ball. The shotmakers. Not the Hank Keuhne's or John Daly's.

At the end of the round the only important question is "What did you SCORE? and not "How far was your drive on 16?" A golfer who scores 72 is a better player on that day than a guy who scores 75 and hit 14, 300+ yard drives. Learn to enjoy more the 10 footer for par, or the flop or bunker shot to 2'. These are the true skill shots.
    I totally agree!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I agree that distance without control is useless. As well the ability to work the ball (a dying art) is a hallmark of those who can score. But long and straight is generally to be preferred over short and straight. This is evident on par 5s that can, with length, be reduced to par 4s. It was probably for this reason that Arnold Palmer recommended years ago (it may have been in his book "Go For Broke") that when learning the game, one should try to bang it out there. For Arnie and his father, Deacon, it was easier to bring length under control than to gain distance later in life. More food for thought.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guyinottawa
    Two summers ago I retired my driver and played only my 5 wood off the tee. What resulted was the best summer of golf scores ever for me. I broke 80 twice and consistently shot in the low 80s.

Last summer I tried to revive my driver. No breaking 80. Mainly high 80s.

This summer, I'm looking for a balance.

I'll let you know when I get there!
    I did the same thing 6 or 7 years ago and never looked back. I tried every decent driver on the market, but nothing kept me in the fairway as often as my three wood. It gets me out there far enough to use a middle to short iron on the par 4s.

guyinottawa

Length can hurt!

I agree - while being long brings pleasure (no pun intended) it can really hurt your ability to score. I played yesterday and was quite long off the tee, but the ball just never wanted to stop in the fairway. I often found myself hitting out of the 2nd and 3rd cuts (at stonebridge you don't want to hit out of the 3rd cut - do they even cut it? :po )

Thread Information