CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar

Drive for dough?

Just imagine how good Tiger would be if he could hit the fairway. I read somewhere he's using a 5.5* driver. Crazy.

I think giving up 10-15 yards for accuracy is worth it. In 1999 and 2000 he averaged over 290 off the tee and was over 70% for fairways hit over the entire season. Since then, he's gone as low as 159th in fairway accuracy.

Drive for show and putt for dough, but it's easier to make putts from 6 feet that you hit there from the short grass than it is hitting from 40 yards right of the cartpath.

Any opinions?

rockford35

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockford35
    Just imagine how good Tiger would be if he could hit the fairway. I read somewhere he's using a 5.5* driver. Crazy.

I think giving up 10-15 yards for accuracy is worth it. In 1999 and 2000 he averaged over 290 off the tee and was over 70% for fairways hit over the entire season. Since then, he's gone as low as 159th in fairway accuracy.

Drive for show and putt for dough, but it's easier to make putts from 6 feet that you hit there from the short grass than it is hitting from 40 yards right of the cartpath.

Any opinions?

rockford35
    dbleber:

Tiger uses a Nike Inginite 9* prototype driver, with his skill and years of practice there is noway he should miss the fairway that often with that driver. I think that he should hit his drives 3/4 strength until he gets confident with the driver again. Now I am not a swing coach or even a good enough golfer to be giving Tiger recommendations but it is a thought. Phil Mickelson has always been one to go all out and take risks but he has now realized that it is easier to play safe and go at only when you have to rather than always taking the high % error shot. I think that's Tigers problem, he is putting well he just needs to strike the ball better. Maybe get rid of those Nike clubs and go back to his Titleist and King Cobra!
    Just my thought I know how people cry on here if you say anything bad about poor Tigger.
    Side note- I think John daly uses the lowest loft on his Driver on tour at 7.5*, anyone know of any others?
    Denny

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    And his scoring average has dropped from 1st to 121st since last year too. Go figure
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

I didn't see with my own eyes, but last year at the Masters, Tiger reportedly was using a 5.5* driver. But like I said, I read it on the internet, so it's obviously gospel.

I hit a 7* Great Big Bertha once and never understood why anyone would want a loft that low. And this coming from a guy using an 8.5* GBBII.

I don't know about you guys, but I find it easier to shoot well from long straight drives down the middle instead of pitching out from behind an outhouse or helping someone BBQ after hitting out from under his trees.

I like Tiger, except when he acts like a dolt by throwing clubs and having a tantrum. He's a good golfer, and if he realized that distance isn't everything, he'd be the best.

rockford35

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    I find it easier to shoot well from long straight drives down the middle instead of helping someone BBQ after hitting out from under his trees.
    Can I use this line????
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Andru
    My spider senses are tingling. Did someone just say something BAD... About the great Tiger Woods?????? Hmmm Looks like trouble is brewing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    My spider senses are tingling. Did someone just say something BAD... About the great Tiger Woods?????? Hmmm Looks like trouble is brewing!!!
    dbleber:
    LOL, yup I smell a fight a brewin!
    :jitter

The thing is Tiger is a great golfer he just doesn't seem to be focused on golf right now and with that blonde bombshell layin at home who blames him.

Denny

I didn't see with my own eyes, but last year at the Masters, Tiger reportedly was using a 5.5* driver. But like I said, I read it on the internet, so it's obviously gospel.

I hit a 7* Great Big Bertha once and never understood why anyone would want a loft that low. And this coming from a guy using an 8.5* GBBII.

I don't know about you guys, but I find it easier to shoot well from long straight drives down the middle instead of pitching out from behind an outhouse or helping someone BBQ after hitting out from under his trees.

I like Tiger, except when he acts like a dolt by throwing clubs and having a tantrum. He's a good golfer, and if he realized that distance isn't everything, he'd be the best.

rockford35
    dbleber:
    Go to the Golf channel website and look under whats in the bag. You can find out what every players has or had in the bag for each tourny they have won.
    Denny

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road

Any opinions?

rockford35
    There is a correlation between TOP money earners in the PGA and ONE of their skills...its their putts, not their drives. The best putters tend to be the highest earners.

I agree, but I'm just trying to say that it's easier to hit it close from the fairway off the deck versus out of the rough. That only makes sense, right?

Putting makes you money. Having a great short game helps you when you aren't as accurate to hit the green. Being a great ball striker gives you a great advantage. But, anyone can hit it in the rough. To have all the above makes you a great golfer. If you lack somewhere, you're not going to win.

I checked Tiger's bag, the Golf Channel must be right.

Tiger was the best, but I'd argue for someone else right now. Ernie, Vijay (that 78 sure was interesting), Davis......(snicker) Sergio....

rockford35

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Somebody actually did a scientific study and found that scoring average got lower by a specific amount (0.10 strokes ?) for every 10 yards of extra driving distance.

This makes total sense since the further you hit it, the shorter your approach is, the closer you hit it to the hole, the more putts you make, ......

The caveat here is that it measured distance IN the fairway and scores made from those balls.

Drive for dough!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Somebody actually did a scientific study and found that scoring average got lower by a specific amount (0.10 strokes ?) for every 10 yards of extra driving distance.

This makes total sense since the further you hit it, the shorter your approach is, the closer you hit it to the hole, the more putts you make, ......

The caveat here is that it measured distance IN the fairway and scores made from those balls.

Drive for dough!

That doesn't seem very scientific. That's more like common sense.

With that argument, long drivers (some of which are somewhat accurate) should be shooting the lights out.

I don't buy it. Accuracy always will outduel distance. Distance is an asset, but accuracy is essential. Driving, long irons, short game, putting. Accuracy reins supreme.

Just my $0.02.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

With that argument, long drivers (some of which are somewhat accurate) should be shooting the lights out.

I don't buy it. Accuracy always will outduel distance. Distance is an asset, but accuracy is essential. Driving, long irons, short game, putting. Accuracy reins supreme.

Just my $0.02.
    Who's talking common sense now? Obviously accuracy is essential to good golf. To epitomize accuracy, you'd be making holes in one on all par-3s, eagles on par 4s and at least eagles on par 5s. An added asset would be distance to put you in good scoring range.
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar

Just my $0.02.
    By scientific, I mean they used the Shottracker (or its precursor) technology and measured every drive and the score made on each ball. They then took the average score for tee shots of 270+/- and compared that to the score for 280+/- , etc.

This was done across all golfers over several tournaments so the effects of good / bad putters should have been averaged out.

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Who's talking common sense now? Obviously accuracy is essential to good golf. To epitomize accuracy, you'd be making holes in one on all par-3s, eagles on par 4s and at least eagles on par 5s. An added asset would be distance to put you in good scoring range.

So you're telling me with a straight face you'd take a 300 yard drive over the ability to hit a 4 iron to 6 feet on a regular basis?

I doubt it.

Being accurate keeps your scores low. Being long is an asset, but not essential.

I average 285 off the tee . I just wish my accuracy was better.

Really, we're splitting hairs. Distance is great, but control is essential. Being accurate and long is the overall package. But when one goes south, your scores go north.

rockford35

So you're telling me with a straight face you'd take a 300 yard drive over the ability to hit a 4 iron to 6 feet on a regular basis?

I doubt it.

Being accurate keeps your scores low. Being long is an asset, but not essential.

Distance is great, but control is essential. Being accurate and long is the overall package. But when one goes south, your scores go north.

rockford35
    Doesn't matter if I'm hitting a 4 iron to 6 feet regularly if it's my 6th shot because I can't get more than 50 feet off the tee. I think that saying "accuracy keeps your scores low" is a little like saying "air is important for breathing".

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Doesn't matter if I'm hitting a 4 iron to 6 feet regularly if it's my 6th shot because I can't get more than 50 feet off the tee. I think that saying "accuracy keeps your scores low" is a little like saying "air is important for breathing".

Dan
    It still takes two to get to a par 4. Nuff said.

rockford35

It still takes two to get to a par 4. Nuff said.

rockford35
    Only on a good day..... :cryin

Dan

Shotmaker acadian is on a distinguished road acadian's Avatar

i have to go with accuracy

i definatly would have to go with accuracy being essential and distance being an added bonus ,,,,,,,,,,,, i figure that one out by watching players play to a specific yardage or ,playing a 2 iron off the tee for ACCURACY certainly not distance ,,,
    And there's a reason they are playing to a prefered yardage ,, because from that range , that is were they are most accurate ,,,,,,,,,,they aren't worrying about smashing it 320 down the fairway and only having a 3/4 sand wedge into the green ,,,,,
    No ,, almost 90% of pro's would rather hit it shorter to give them something like a 100-120 yard, full sandwedge into the green instead,,, everything they do evolves around accuracy
    I'm sure anyone would rather have 180yards left to the green 70% of the time then being 110 yards to the green only 30% of the time
    if so ,,then your definatly relying on accuracy to get you home

Big_duck
    Can't hit the 300 yd driver on a par 3 (unless it is a very very long par 3 ).

Can't hit the 300 yd driver on a long hole with a creek, lake or other hazard out at 300 yds.

Can't hit the 300 yd driver on a short dog-leg par 4 (plenty of these around), unless you want to be in the trees on the far side.

Tiger is as long as he ever was. What's his problem? Accuracy Accuracy Accuracy.

guyinottawa

You can leave it in the bag!

Two summers ago I retired my driver and played only my 5 wood off the tee. What resulted was the best summer of golf scores ever for me. I broke 80 twice and consistently shot in the low 80s.

Last summer I tried to revive my driver. No breaking 80. Mainly high 80s.

This summer, I'm looking for a balance.

I'll let you know when I get there!

Quote Originally Posted by guyinottawa
    Two summers ago I retired my driver and played only my 5 wood off the tee. What resulted was the best summer of golf scores ever for me. I broke 80 twice and consistently shot in the low 80s.

I like your thinking.

When I was 17, I took lessons from a pro out of Arizona. He had me play 5 rounds in a row with only my 7 iron and putter. You'd be suprised how much you immeidately miss the distance for the first two holes, but at the end of the round, your scores are lower.

Go figure.

Boring rounds tho!

rockford35

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by guyinottawa

Get yourself one of those 12-13 degreedrivers with a 44 inch shaft. You'll love it.

Get yourself one of those 12-13 degreedrivers with a 44 inch shaft. You'll love it.

I think they call those 3 woods.

rockford35

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I think they call those 3 woods.

rockford35
    Actually, I believe Andru is referring to a driver.

A 3-wood generally has a shorter shaft and a loft closer to 15* - plus a shallow face so that it can be used on the fairway. The term I have heard for a club with a 2-wood or 3-wood loft but a driver length shaft (44"+) and an oversize head is a "thriver".

I am currently testing a 12* Bang 450 with a 45" Mercury Savage shaft. Call it what you want, but it definately DOES NOT play like a 3-wood.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    The pro’s on tour are not actually trying pound the ball as far as possible down the fairway to get as close as possible to the green, unless the green is drivable obviously. Distance control off the tee’s is what makes them the best in the world. When they tee it up, they want there second shot to be at a certain position and distance to the green. All great golfers have a preferred club to come in to a green. Next time you are on the tee box, pick a spot in the fairway where you can hit a confidant second shot. Now hit the club you need to get to that distance.

Distance VS accuracy…..Well, if I can’t drive the green and there is no trouble short of the fairway 8 time out of ten I will hit a shorter club to get the ball where I want it.

Tiger is not trying to be number one in driving distance while sacrificing accuracy. I have seen Tiger hit irons and 3 wood completely off line. Obviously, he is doing some swing changes. We will se Tiger in his dominant shape in the near future.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    The pro’s on tour are not actually trying pound the ball as far as possible down the fairway to get as close as possible to the green, unless the green is drivable obviously. Distance control off the tee’s is what makes them the best in the world. When they tee it up, they want there second shot to be at a certain position and distance to the green. All great golfers have a preferred club to come in to a green. Next time you are on the tee box, pick a spot in the fairway where you can hit a confidant second shot. Now hit the club you need to get to that distance.

Distance VS accuracy…..Well, if I can’t drive the green and there is no trouble short of the fairway 8 time out of ten I will hit a shorter club to get the ball where I want it.

Tiger is not trying to be number one in driving distance while sacrificing accuracy. I have seen Tiger hit irons and 3 wood completely off line. Obviously, he is doing some swing changes. We will se Tiger in his dominant shape in the near future.
    This is terrifc advice every shot should be played this way in golf. It's the difference between the best and ok guys on tour. The reason CH3 hasn't broken out of his funk is 1) putting and 2) distance control. He can't throttle back a 7 iron or wedge when he needs to. TPC sawgrass on 17. Spun it right off the front. The others PW 3/4 sweep ( less spin)on the green.

"Golfers who don't aim at anything. Will hit it everytime!"

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    "Golfers who don't aim at anything. Will hit it everytime!"
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

9 Iron Christian is on a distinguished road
    My vote is that accuracy wins over distance every time. Case in point.

Last men's night, played with BC MIST (we have very similar handicaps). He hits his drives 250-270 in the fairway nine times out of ten (in other words fairways and greens all day) - result that night - 8 pars, 1 birdie. I on the other hand routinely hit my drives 60-70 yards farther, sometimes find the rough and leave myself touchy 40-50 yard half lob wedges - result 6 pars, 2 bogeys (both on 350 yard drives in awkward locations) and 1 birdie.

The bottom line is a 35 versus a 37.

Seeing that most courses in the Ottawa area play to 6300 - 6500 yards from the back tees, there is no real advantage to being that long but there is a significant advantage to being accurate - fairways and greens are the ticket (factoring on someone with a decent short game and putting ability).

On an aside, I am pretty sure that BC MIST would agree with me that if we played Bethpage Black from the pro tees, his chances of scoring lower than me would be significantly less as the length of the course would likely be more problematic for him than for me.

The problem with being long and relatively straight is that you often leave yourself with tricky distances to greens (goes back to course management). In tournaments, I will often hit 3 wood, 5 wood or an iron off the tee to give myself the right distance in to enhance a chnace at birdie/par. Therefore, there is no real advantage to increased distance except that I may use a more "accurate club" to hit it the same distance as a shorter hitter.

All to say that in my book, accurate wins over distance hands down.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    A week ago I played a round where I would hit my normal drive and then hit the approach shot. Then, I walked 50 yards ahead and dropped a second ball, simulating where "Christain" would be if I could hit the ball that far. One would think that "Christain" would win easily, however, when the scores for the two balls were compared, I won. The added distance, then, was of no advantage.

The difficulty with the second ball was that it was hit frequently from a distance where a full swing was not required, and therefore, insufficient backspin was put on the ball to make it stop on the firm greens. My approach shots were full swings, with sufficient backspin to stop the ball closer to the hole.

For those of you who hit the ball a long way, it must be a thrill, about which I have never experienced, however, if scoring is important to you, then 300+ yards means squat if you cannot control where the ball ends up. The two young gentlemen that I played with in the Spring Open qualifier at Hautes Plaines on Monday, hit the ball probably 40 yards longer, and yet they were a collective 31 strokes behind me. Why? Accuracy versus distance. On a tight course like HP, if you cannot put the ball where you want, you have no chance.

When the PGA Tour plays on on tight, US Open type golf courses, who wins? Those who can control the ball. The shotmakers. Not the Hank Keuhne's or John Daly's.

At the end of the round the only important question is "What did you SCORE? and not "How far was your drive on 16?" A golfer who scores 72 is a better player on that day than a guy who scores 75 and hit 14, 300+ yard drives. Learn to enjoy more the 10 footer for par, or the flop or bunker shot to 2'. These are the true skill shots.

Thread Information