CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

what club do you use around the green?

generally, what club do you prefer to you use around the green? I used to like my sw but I'm really starting to like my lw alot more now around the green. Anyone else?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    lw

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    depends on my lie and the shot i am playing. It could be 7i, PW, GW, SW or LW.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    If I have a clean lie... 7I, if not, SW or PW
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I prefer GW or LW.

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    Probably for 90% of my greenside chips, I use my 48 degree PW. It gives me enough loft to get over any problems (rough and fringe) and get the ball rolling like a putt. This "primary club" has given me a better chance (consistent trajectory/speed) of getting an up & down (currently 72% for the season) than switching between clubs. If there's more trouble between me and the pin (lots of rough/bunker), 56 degree SW or 60 degree LW, depending on how tight the pin is to the trouble.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    7I for chipping around the fringe
    60* for pitching

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    depending on lie, green speed, pin location. i'll hit anything from a 5 iron to a lw.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    I use 8i for situations where I can bump and run, i treat it just like a putt. My 60* for longer pitch shots or chips that need to carry.
    Wannabe Golf

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    58* wedge for everything under 100 yards, only have to practice with one club.
    Even I've never heard of me

Birdie JWWRMA is on a distinguished road
    58* Ping MB
    Last edited by JWWRMA; 06-22-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: misspelled

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    Depends on the lie and what I wanna do with the ball

I'll either "putt" with my 7i from a good lie and with a decent ground-run at the stick, or "flop" (open stance, open face, half-swing) with my LW.

Cheers!

Gary

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Depending on the situation, any one of 14 clubs could be in play. I've used every one around the green at one time or another.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Depending on the situation, any one of 14 clubs could be in play. I've used every one around the green at one time or another.
    if you have enough green to work with and can see most of the ball, what would you use?
    willy

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    if you have enough green to work with and can see most of the ball, what would you use?
    Speaking of balls, I owe you some (another thread)...

Probably something with a fair amount of loft, 7i or higher, but it depends. Do you want the ball to fly a good distance first, or do you want to get it rolling as soon as possible? Uphill? Downhill? Green speed? What potential trouble is past the hole? Sometimes you need to play away from the hole to get where you want to be.

On the other hand, some players depend on only one or two clubs to get the job done in these situations, but their creativity is in the different ways they use those clubs. Use your imagination and be creative. There's always more than one way to get the job done.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

i don't think of any of that stuff :s no wonder I suck
    willy

i don't think of any of that stuff :s no wonder I suck
    Dude, if you can design a putter, you can figure out a way to get the ball to the hole.

Dude, if you can design a putter, you can figure out a way to get the ball to the hole.
    not necessarily

the putter can actually be posted now as i have something in the works. let me get some pics and get everyones feedback.
    willy

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    not necessarily
    I'm gonna laugh my butt off the day he figures it all out and takes you guys to school.

depe 1, indio 0. I'm not even counting the 9 hole match i beAt him at 2 years ago before he had knee problems
    willy

I'm gonna laugh my butt off the day he figures it all out and takes you guys to school.
    He took me to school last week I'm still alive but put my clubs away for the rest of the year

less time on the course, more time at the range.
    willy

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I will chip with anything from a hybrid to a lob wedge for the very same reasons as Lob Wedge - to get the ball on to the green and rolling as soon as possible. There are many who like to fly the ball to the cup and spin it to a stop. If you have the talent, that's a great shot. The problem is that it takes a lot of talent. More importantly, the margin of error for that kind of shot is not very great. If you miss it, you will really pay the price. The advantage of rolling it to its destination as some of us have suggested is that the margin of error is much greater. In short, good results can be attained even when the ball is not hit perfectly. This makes it the best shot for amateurs.

Speaking of balls, I owe you some (another thread)...
    Probably something with a fair amount of loft, 7i or higher, but it depends. Do you want the ball to fly a good distance first, or do you want to get it rolling as soon as possible? Uphill? Downhill? Green speed? What potential trouble is past the hole? Sometimes you need to play away from the hole to get where you want to be.

On the other hand, some players depend on only one or two clubs to get the job done in these situations, but their creativity is in the different ways they use those clubs. Use your imagination and be creative. There's always more than one way to get the job done.

7 Iron ForeontheFloor is on a distinguished road
    I was only using my 58* wedge around the green with little success, thought I just had to practice more. Then on a golf trip with some buddies one of the guys was rolling the ball up to the pin time after time so I asked him what club he was using.(had to take a two stroke penalty because I asked) He told me it was his PW so he can get a good roll on the ball. So I tried that and changed my short game forever. I was not getting any roll before now I am rolling up nice and close most times.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    My 7I usually works so well for me I usually have nothing but a tap-in left. If there a hill or obstruction I use my 60 degree club.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar

Imagination is the key, I posted before I only use my 58* but I use it several different ways. On level ground close the face and swing it flat to get roll, going up or down hills open it up and hit the flop. On the fringe resting against the rough can putt with the blade of the wedge.
    Sometimes one of these crazy shots even works
    Even I've never heard of me

Par Sparkplug is on a distinguished road Sparkplug's Avatar

what club around the green.

I tend to fall into the one club camp, mostly a lob wedge (but been experimenting with a 58) and for many of the reasons noted above..... which can be summarized in one word; familiarity.

Also I find the ball tracks better and for very slick greens I have much more confidence in where the ball will end up.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    Uphill pitches get the PW. Random green shots get the SW. Downhill lies or when the pin is tucked close to the rough I'll use the LW.

It's really however I feel when Im about to hit the shot. I envision it and then think about which club would be best to get the job done. Green speed is also a huge factor.

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    generally, what club do you prefer to you use around the green? I used to like my sw but I'm really starting to like my lw alot more now around the green. Anyone else?
    3 hybrid, 5, 7, and 9 irons, PW, GW, SW or LW. All depends on what the shot requires.
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Thread Information