CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Birdie srennick is on a distinguished road srennick's Avatar

Golf Balls - What to you use, and why do you like them?

Golf Balls

Just wondering what everyone uses....

Brand\Model...

What do you love about them, what do you hate about them?

I personally like the Nike Distance Control, but I've had a hard time finding them anywhere....so I'm about to try the Titleist HVC Tour.

I find they provide good distance, along with good feel....and I can still work the ball on the green, and generate some decent spin if necessary.

Andru

Easy Choice

Titleist Pro-V1

Best ball I've ever played. Workable, nice feel, distance, spin. It has everything. If there's one problem ..... The Price.

Luckily you can find deals on E-Bay and purchase a bunch in bulk to save some $$$.

The Nike TA DD is good too.

I'd like to know if anyone plays the Strata Tour Ultimate or Tour Ultimate 2. I've heard good things about the ball.

Cheers
    Phil

4 Iron ShaneOttawa is on a distinguished road
    I use the Wilson Smart Core straight distance. They do what they say they'll do, and I don't think there's been a better ball for the $$ in the past few years.

But these balls are being discontinued, and I've been thinking about changing balls anyway - I'm at a point where I'm losing balls less often, so I can afford to get the right ball without worrying about cost as much.

Might go to the Strata tour professional or tour straight.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

balls

I've always liked the Strata Tour Professional. Great distance and spin too. Too bad they are so hard to find nowadays. The new Tour Ultimate + in my opinion is crap. I bought a sleeve of these and broke 2 balls on the first 3 holes I played. Not durable...

I like the Pro V1 as well. Long and very durable. Very expensive though.

Recently, I went back to using the Precept Laddie balls. Great off the tee and not expensive. I find that they don't spin too well on the approaches but then again..... the ball I play all depends on the course conditions and with all the rain we had, I'd rather get that forward bounce on the greens.

Again, it all depends on the conditions....

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    This is second-hand but I played with my 21 year old nephew on Wednesday at the Meadows and he was knocking his drives up to 300 yards with a ball called "JACK". He just started using it this year and claims it gives him at least 20 extra yards (of course many of them were into the woods . I found a " LOCO " in the rough and hit it on the last 3 holes. Liked it for distance and will probably buy a box if the price is right.:bablefish

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

"JACK" balls

Wilson came out with a line of balls this year that included the "Jack" and the "Jill" balls. I've tried them both and they both play like the Smart-core balls (men's and ladies) from last year. Same ball, diferent name.

BTW, Jack Nicklaus sued Wilson (before the "Jill" balls came out) for naming the ball after him.

Andru
    They didn't really or did they? HMM I'm not sure, but they never used Nicklaus in the name so it's a bit arrogant of Jack to sue for the rights to a name as common as Jack.

I'm not saying Wilson didn't view this as an opportunity to mislead a wee bit, Just a little

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar

I use mostly Dunlop Advanced Titanium balls....

Pro's.....ball go far, reduced spin(less slicing)
    Con's....reduced control around the green

Have been trying the Maxfli A10 with some promising results.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Thumbs up Titliest

I have used Titliest balls for a very long time now. Before all this new technologoly and the newest of balls have come out, I played the Titliest DT ball. Then came the PRO V1, now my ball of choice. As posted above, durable, long and great feel. Price is an issue but still the best ball IMO.

Btw Andru............. do you think Tiger Woods would be OK if we used the name tiger to sell something? Would it be arrogant of him to think that MAYBE the manufacturers were taking "a wee bit" of HIS name in order to sell something too?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Unless a name is trademarked, there is not much you could, or should be able to do about it.

In the 60's or 70's Esso used to advertise "Put a Tiger in your tank", even had tails to hang out of the gas cap. If they did that now could Tiger say anything? Maybe Frank would be entitled to a fee since his body part is being used.

Americans will sue over anything if a lawyer sees a potential buck.

Ty Webb
    I use Loco as they are inexpensive and play well. I lose alot so perhaps it was my ball that was found in a previous thread.

TY

Talking point taken Dan

But it seems to me that it was intentional to use the name, and make money from it. So that part is wrong. just my $0.02 worth.

Ty Webb
    BTW, I usually mark my golf balls with "Steve". I am going to discontinue this in lieu of a potential lawsuit.

TY

Andru

Jack?

Steve

I've met hundreds of Jacks in my life. I have never met a "Tiger". It's not the same. One would be fairly obvious. I'm not debating the legal ramifications. I don't have the expertise.

I still believe Jack Nicklaus suing Wilson for using the terms "Jack" and "Jill" to promote a set of Mens and ladies golf balls is extremely arrogant. One could argue in the golf community that "Jack" is Jack Nicklaus and his achievements and fame allows this type of action.

I'm not one of those people. Like I said, I'm sure Wilson had this in mind. I'm not naive, but I stand by what I said. It's clever marketing.

7 Iron class1947 is on a distinguished road
    Back to the original question I have tried the LoCo and find it to be a great ball for the $$$$, a real drop and stop ball,T andL have them on sale 18 for 23.00 plus tax.

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    I have been using the Pro V1 this year and love it when hitting irons, but off the tee I am not impressed. For some reason I find it really soft off a driver. With irons, the ball feels great and stops on a dime.

Just my thoughts!

I have heard that the Maxfli Noodle is a poor man's Pro V, anyone tried them?

3 Wood golfdoc is on a distinguished road

Same Balls...

Last year I used the Maxfli Noodle for 2 months. I was happy to find out that the Loco is actually the same ball. Dunlop and Maxfli used to be owned by the same company. (maybe they still are)

Dunlop is now coming out with a Loco Spin ball. I already love the regular Loco and a little more spin would be great.

Andru
    Originally posted by dasnutz
    I have been using the Pro V1 this year and love it when hitting irons, but off the tee I am not impressed. For some reason I find it really soft off a driver.
    I know what you mean. It took me a little while to associate the sound and feel with a solid metal wood impact.

Big Duffer

Talking

any cheap places around town to by good quality golf balls.. I checked out ebay.. it doesn't seem any cheaper then you'd find at chuck brown unless you're by 10 dz

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I never used to care much until recently - I hit such a high ball it never seemed to make a difference, but...

played a few Nike Tour Distance balls lately and really noticed a difference with accuracy off the tee. Also picked up a sleeve of the Dunlop LoCo balls and gained 20 yards off the tee plus got some good spin on the greens on short pitches.

As for Pro V1s, well ... I'd rather save up for my daughter's university education. I love golf, but c'mon guys - we're talking about a golf balls here!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road

Pro V1

ProV1. Best ball out there.

Good distance for a spin ball, excellent control around the greens and it is so incredibly durable.

With my first 3 Pro V1's this year I played 6, 6, and 5 rounds respectively and have played 4 rounds with the fourth one.

At $5 per ball that comes to $.95 per round. At this rate, I would hardly call the ball "expensive."

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

true

True my dear friend Natgolfer. But you are an experienced scratch golfer or better and you always keep the ball in the fairway. For you the ball is inexpensive and well worth the investment. But for the 15 handicaper and higher who easily loses balls it is is a real heartbreaker to see one take off towards the woods or worse ob.
    That won't speed up play. That's for sure...

Andru
    Sounds like thse loco balls are popular I might give them it a try. If they come in under 25 bucks. If not I'll buy some used Pro v1's

Andru
    I never said it wasnt a good marketing plan. Im sure Wislon is laughing all the way to the bank. I just dont believe Jack Nicklaus is arrogant. Thats all.

natgolfer
    my first 3 Pro V1's this year I played 6, 6, and 5 rounds
    Two thumbs up. I played my first 4 1/2 rounds with the same ball too. Have only lost about a dozen this year. Being a 13 hdcp (at the moment....... bad month of may:crying ) I too loose more than you do but still think they are the best ball out there.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I have used Titleist ProV1 and agree they are a great combination of length and feel - but VERY expensive. I don't normally wear out a golf ball, it usually gets introduced to trees or water before it can get scuffed or cut.

I have used Strata Balata, Tour Professional and Tour Ultimate. I like them all and find them a good combination of length and feel. I find they really spin off the wedges and short irons.

As for the JACK ball, I think Nicklaus should sue Wilson. Think about it - when talking golf and you say "Arnie" or "Jack" only two people come to mind Palmer and Nicklaus. Of course Wilson was using Nicklaus' intellectual property rights, i.e. his name.

Andru
    I just visited Wilsongolf.com and the marketing of the "JACK" ball in question has nothing to do with Nicklaus. They're not even marketing to the segment that would react to this marketing campaign.

It seems to be geared to a younger group of golfers. Other than the name "Jack". There's no correlation. Nicklaus suing for the use of a name as common as "Jack" is ridiculous.

Marketing JacK Nicklaus to a younger audience is like marketing Bob hope. It's generational. The younger kids don't associate Jack with the same greatness as the generation that grew up watching him.

2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road

cheap balls

you might wanna check out walmart for cheap balls that play well. I just bought a box of the dunlop loco's for 17 bucks there. Rumor has it that they might even be cheaper at Canadian Tire.

Yun

Andru
    Thanks Yun

I will check them out.

Cheers

Birdie srennick is on a distinguished road srennick's Avatar
    Just as a follow up to this....I have started using both the Callaway CB1 Reds, and the Callaway HX 2 piece Reds, and both of these balls are an excellent choice. Lots of distance off the tee, and excellent feel with the irons. I haven't had any problems making either ball dance with short irons on the green.

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

Ball selections

I am playing all kind of balls theses days but mostly soft and spin balls. I normally buy a dozen or two per seasons, the rest i find them on the courses when i play. But when i play in tournament or "money" game i use Pro-v1. I just bought a dozen of Pro-v1* which were on sale. I am very disappointed because it feels like distance ball...hard and not much spin. The Pro-V1x seems to be the best of the Pro-V1 line up.
    I used to play the Smartcore Straight distance when distance was my problem. it gave me extra roll off the tee and on to the long par 4(distance ball get you on or close to the green but harm you around the green). I sometimes play 2-3 different balls with the same club when i am out playing practice round just to see how they react.
    The longest ball i ever play though is the NXT Tour. It's supposed to be the cheap version of the ProV1 with more distance. I normally pull it out at the "longest drive" hole. The first time i played the ball was at Glen Abbey in a tournament. On 18, par 5 where Tiger hit his famous fairway bunker shot from 200 yards, I hit driver and PW. I was playing from the blue tee and downwind. But that day i hit 300yrd drive at least 4-5 times. The ad on TV for the NXT ball has some merits! I shot my lowest score with NXT Tour and Callaway HX blue 4 piece, not the ProV1! Other balls I like are Maxfli A10, Strata Tour Ace. They are all very expensive. I don't buy them just play if i find them. I don't lose ball often. For those who lose a few balls per round the Maxfli noodle or the Precept Lady/Laddie are good over all balls. I use them when i find them!

TP.

Thread Information